Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Newbie needs critque

Old 03-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Newbie needs critque

Hi my name is Sheri and I am a newbie. I hope I uploaded the right size file correctly. This is an old photo of my mom when she was a secretary. Yes it is a Beehive hair style and it was very RED. This is my first retouch, or is it a restoration, I did in my Photoshop workshop. I was hoping for some help with techniques that would have made it better.
The left eye is bad (I used a dodge and burn tool, and it is too harsh) also the hair line is too obvious. I did an adjustment layer for hue and saturation. I feathered it.Was this the correct thing to do? She still has some brownish stuff on her face, I am not sure if it was there or I caused it, but how to get rid of it is the question. Other than that I started with levels and unsharpen mask and the healing & clone tool. Any suggestions to make it better. It is okay if I have to start all over again. It was a beginning class so I was just guessing a lot.

I love this site and plan to be very active. My goal is to be an accomplished retoucher and restoration artist. There seems to be sooo much to learn, most of what you talk about like the high pass filter etc is beyond me, even after reading the tutorials. I will have to do it step by step to see if I can figure out what happens. I am working on one of the challenges now and will enter it even if it is bad so I can get feedback on how much I am going to struggle. Any help is appreciated.

I have some great photos that would be fun challenges or archive for practice, somewhere I read that I should email thumbnails to Doug. Is that correct?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MOM-at-WORK-(before-&-after.jpg (98.6 KB, 150 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Welcome aboard Sheri. You have a great attitude, which is a big plus for learning. Overall, I think you did pretty good. The biggest thing for me, and the only one I'll comment on, is the skintones. I think you'll be happier if you lower the cyan, and increase the yellow. Yellow should be higher than magenta. I'm attaching a copy of "Bruce's skintones". This chart comes in very handy.

I would comment on more, but unlike you, I don't have a good attitude, so I don't learn much.

Well, I can't upload the skinchart because I've already done that in this thread. Check out Vikki's correction in that thread. She's great at that stuff.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Mom At work

Hey Mom's Picture bring back memories. An excellent retouch. I took your photo and increased the contrast and the saturation and changed to a little more red/yellow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg After.jpg (17.0 KB, 86 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2006, 07:15 PM

Welcome to RP. I think that's a fine first effort. I just have to comment on one thing.

That's not a beehive. That's the mother of all beehives.

But seriously, folks. Nice work and I, too, admire your attitude. You should go far.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2006, 11:30 PM

welcome to RP.

you picked a doozy to begin your career. the lighting is obviously the big problem here. i followed phil and simply cropped a lot of it out. all that stuff on the right wasnt that important to the image, so why try to fix it. but, if you are interested in keeping it whole, some can be done with that part... but not much. the whites are just too 'blown out'.

i'm not going to give you a lot of detail on what i did at the moment. it's late and i've a lot to do yet. the major points were 'contrast/brightness', 'color balance', and a plugin known as 'lum frequencies', made by one of the members here. i did do some hand work and pretty much ignored the rest of the blown out whites, except for the filing cabinet, which i cloned back in.

you might want to look at your first image post. she is actually NOT looking to her left, but is looking at the camera. that's probably why you had a hard time with the eye. this became very obvious when i used the contrast/brightness filter.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sheri-mom-1-k-1b.jpg (96.9 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2006, 01:11 AM
Hi Sheri,

Pretty darn good first attempt--or any attempt for that matter. Gorgeous job on her dress--wow! I think her skin looks too grey.

There is fairly decent color information still in the image. I took a try and here are the steps:
1. Duplicate the original
2. Auto contrast and auto color
3. Applied curve (first attachment). Applied a mask to this curve that is the inverse of the image luminance. (this prevents the highlights from getting any brighter--doesn't matter much if you crop out the bright window.)
4. Split out the saturation channel as per this tutorial:
5. Applied a curve to the resultant saturation channel (second attachment)
6. Color balance layer--tiny bit more cyan/blue in the highlights.
7. Another curve to increase effective exposure
8. Healed a couple of the spots
9. Paintshop Pro Noise reduction

I think the hair and skin color look okay here. I didn't even touch that excellent dress job you did.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fig1_curve.jpg (22.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg fig2_sat_curve.jpg (23.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg fig3_fix_mom_with_beehive_hairdo.jpg (54.9 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2006, 02:14 AM
Just did a simple levels adjustment on each channel (R,G,B) to get result below.
Then upped the saturation.

Still needs cleaning up a little, and colour needs tweaking a touch, but gives you a basic starting point.

Edit: Took some blue out of image with a curves adj. Upped contrast by copying to new layer set to Hard Light, 35% opacity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MOM-at-WORK-(before-&-after copy 2.jpg (68.9 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 03-03-2006 at 10:15 AM. Reason: tweaked colour
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Thank you

Thank you everyone for you help. I will examine and try each thing you suggested to see how it works. The Blend modes are very confusing to me, are there ones that retouchers use mostly I can play around with instead of getting confused by all the them? Thank you so much. I have looked at the tutorials but most are over my head so I am thinking of signing up for and learning more of the basics while I do this.

Thank you so much again. You will see a lot of me.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hi Sheri,

As long as you have a layer (not the background layer), you can change the blending mode of the layer as many times as you want. It's a good way to get an idea what the different blending modes will do. You should be able to select a blending mode, then before doing anything else, use the up or down keys on the keyboard to quickly see what changes different modes will produce. Changing the opacity of the layer will also allow you to lessen the strength of the blending mode. As long as you don't flatten the image, or merge that layer, those options remain until you do. Try it, and have fun!

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Hi Sheri!

Welcome to RP from me too!!!

I think you did a great job on a difficult picture as a starter!!

The picture is very faded so consistency had to be added...
the contrast had to be increased...
the bluish/cyan cast had to be removed...
the colours had to be corrected
shadows and spots had to be minimized or removed

If you are interested, I'll write a detailed description of what I did ... in the meantime, adding to Ed's excellent tip about blending modes, you could have a look at the 'List of Blending Modes' and the 'Blending Modes Examples' from PS own help file

P.S. ... as Craig rightly pointed out, your Mom was definitely looking at the camera and not to her left!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_MOM-at-WORK.jpg (96.2 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration