RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Label under spritz

Old 03-06-2006, 04:39 PM

Label under spritz

Hi Guys,

I've gotta put a label under this spritz. I wondered if anyone could suggest how they would go about applying this spritz over the label?

I've tried cutting the spritz out, then converting them to greyscale multiplying the shadows and screening the highlight. Just can't seem to get it.
I know that once done i'll have to add some distortion under the water drops.

Any tips guys?

Thanks in advance,

TonyG.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spritz2.jpg (81.0 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2006, 05:12 PM

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but if it is, it was done by making a selection for each of the elements in the label and duplicating the original layer based on the selections. I then colorized each layer to the proper color and voila.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (94.5 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2006, 05:38 PM

welcome to RP, tony.

tricky. frankly, i'd be inclined to remove the spritz completely, add the label and then put the spritz back. and the way i thought of to put the spritz back is, take a piece of clear, very clean glass and spritz it. then take a picture of it. clean it up as needed and add it as a layer to the original image over the label.

now, if all you have to work with is the photo editor and no camera and such, i'd put the label over the existing spritz. not sure what size we're talking about here, but it shld work. then you're going to have to find some spritz somewhere or make it.

also, is this label going to have its own background or is it just text?

also, do you want to shape the label to fit the contours of the image?

ok, this is very crude, but i gave it a shot here. i made a white background label on the image. i didnt try to skew it at all like it shld be, but you can probably do that if desired. i made duplicate of this layer and set a mask to it as a hide all. i then unmasked just the part with the label plus a little extra to bleed the drops over across the label. i then used the Redfield plugin, 'Craquelure' to add the drops. et voila'.

like i say, it's crude and could be done better, but this might lead you along some paths you havent tried yet.

also, i had to compress this by 37% to fit on the forum, so it's probably going to look pretty poor.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spritz2-1-k-1.jpg (95.0 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2006, 05:56 PM

Hi Kraellin and goose443, thanks for the welcome.

Sorry, I may not have explained myself properly.
I have to put a ketchup label under the spritz in the section of the image i posted earlier. It's primarily white, an uneven shape and has the usual logos on it. I've already rendered it in 3d to match the contours of the shape.

I'm on a deadline! And don't really have time or the budget to get the
spritz shot, besides, the original image I was given to work with wasn't the sharpest. Not sure if this will help or hinder me. Hopefully the previous.

I've done something similar before but the spritz was much sharper and easier to select.

TonyG.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2006, 12:28 AM

ok, see if this isnt a bit more to your liking.

i used the label i made in the last image and put it on a new, blank raster layer above the background. with the opacity turned down a touch, i made a new selection on the background layer around where the label is. i made a new, blank raster layer. i control-c'd on the selection and pasted it into the new layer exactly over where it was taken from. i then desaturated this and brightened it a bit. i then moved the desaturated layer down between the label and the background layers. i changed the label layer to an overlay blend mode. on the middle layer, the copied selection desaturated, i made this a new group layer and added a brightness/contrast adjustment layer and adjusted this to taste ( 18 brightness and 16 contrast in this case). and done.

again, i dont know exactly what you want as a final look but this may give you some ideas.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spritz2-2-k-1.jpg (97.6 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2006, 01:55 AM

I think what I did is similar to what Craig did. I attached the layer palette because it's easier to show it than say it. At the bottom is the logo on a transparent field. If your logo is on an opaque field, you'll have to mask it.

Then I have a curve layer--this will be used later to make the lighting of the logo match the lighting of the red ball.

Above that is a layer group. At the bottom of the group is a high-pass-filter version of the original image--radius 20 pixels. Need a large enough radius to get all of the droplet details.

Above that is another curve layer--this will be used later to make the blending of the droplets with the logo match the droplets elsewhere on the red ball.

The blend mode of the group is set to linear light (the careful reader will notice I've borrowed from Ro's skin detexturizing tutorial--except here I'm adding texture (the spritz) instead of subtracting.)

At the top is the original image with a logo mask to confine all of the adjustments below to the logo area.

If your logo is fully saturated colors (as they often are), use "Curves 4" to tone things down a bit--ie., lower contrast or saturation as needed.

The droplets might also look exaggerated, so use "Curves 3" to adjust the intensity of the droplets on the logo.

I attached three different color logos. Once the curves are adjusted for one color, it looks good for any color, so a multi-colored logo shouldn't be a problem.

I did this in Photoshop, but I'm really a PSP hack at heart. Linear light blend mode is doable in PSP if anybody is interested.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg layers.jpg (24.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg white.jpg (77.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg black.jpg (75.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg yellow.jpg (78.0 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2006, 02:51 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your input.

Bart, that looks like it could really work, however excuse my ignorance;
I'm using Photoshop CS on Mac. I've followed your explanation thanks a mill.
My question is; how do you create a 'curve' layer and then the 'Curves 4 / 3' thing?

Hope you can help. Thanks again.

Tony.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2006, 07:56 AM

Thanks Phil,

Although that creates a nice effect, I need the drops to look transparent over the coloured label. Bart's suggestion looks closest to what I'm after at the moment!

Do you have any idea on the questions I posted about curves earlier?

Thanks again Phil,

Tony.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2006, 09:43 AM

Exclamation Label under water

Here's my go, if you like i'll explain in detail...takes less than 2 min.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg label.jpg (93.7 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2006, 09:51 AM

Two minutes....Starting now!

Love to hear your explanation?

Tony
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration