RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Beginner woes...

Old 03-08-2006, 08:06 AM

Smile Absolute Beginner's Forum

I'm afraid that I was the beginning of the hijacking and thankful for all that has been said and will be.

Three years ago I lost my full time job (which I am now thankful for) and I started down the road I am now. Most of my years were spent raising my children and had only returned to work to help and keep busy. I had only worked a short time before the company folded. During that time my friend opened his doors to help him learn the editing field using Adobe Premier Pro, which I still enjoy doing. But during his teaching time he found himself in major surgery 3 times. I thought he couldn't top it after the first but he managed to top that one by having a quad bypass. Then it was a year and 1/2 before the aortic aneurysm was removed. I sat with him when his wife was at work and it was during that time I started working on pictures because he has to sleep to heal.

I found I loved working on pictures. But like most things I started at the back of the book figurativiley speaking... I have recently purchased Katrin Eismann's book (2) and will work on them but it is through RetouchPro,that I have grown.

It's important to have people to talk to. You all are wonderful. I won't name names, though I could, but know that I appreciate that have helped.

This is my morning reading material and every opportunity that I have I come here to read and learn. My Adobe library started out with one action... then two, well you get the idea.

Flora, I would be honored to be in the "Absolute Beginners Class". And when I graduate I will have the opportunity to give back what has been given... so if it happens, COUNT ME IN!!

Sincerely,
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2006, 09:17 AM

beginner woes...

I've been following this thread, first for the interesting discussion re: colorization, then the questions posed regarding beginners here and how best to address their questions and concerns. As a quasi beginner myself (I know just enough to wander off and get realllllly good and lost ), I have admittedly been at a loss when trying to follow some of the threads and explanations as they were beyond my limited knowledge. No matter, I read anyway figuring eventually it's all going to start to come together and if I ran across a term I didn't know, well hey, the internet is fabulous for that; a quick googling and I was on my way again armed with just a little more knowledge than last time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo
Exactly! Taking your example...For this to work well - the second graders should teach the first graders, the third teach the second, and so on......
I'd say we already have the 3rd graders teaching the 2nd, 1st and so on, it's just that sometimes the 3rd graders are talking amongst themselves, not realizing the 2nd graders are listening in and don't understand some of the "big words"!! I think the key is ask questions, ask questions, ask questions - whether you ask google or one of the 3rd graders. Admittedly, I have thought, "ugh, I hate to post to ask what that means. I KNOW that's something simple." so I googled, but I really doubt anyone here is going to bite someone's head off for even the simplest of questions. On the contrary, everyone has seemed only too glad to help when asked! Also, in my quest for answers or acquiring a basis to understand the more complicated threads here, I came across numerous sites that offer information along those lines. There is no shortage of photoshop tutorials out there and many of them are of the beginner variety. I'd be happy to pass along what I've found if anyone cares to have those links, but it was just a matter of conducting a search.

Wow, that was a bit more wordy than intended! Although I've been of the lurking variety here, I do want to say thanks for all the great information through the give and take between the people here. It really is a wonderful site and I'm learning so much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2006, 02:43 PM

Hi everybody,

Rô is right...
Quote:
This thread seems to have been somewhat hijacked - but seeing as the subject is interesting, I'll jump in too!
.... But since this topic has drawn a lot of interestI think it's only right to put it on its own Thread! ....

I'm going to split the Threads ... jus keep your finger crossed!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2006, 04:30 PM

Like Lonnie, I too, use PhotoImpact as my primary editor and I really love its ease of use and efficiency.

I really enjoy the benefits of PS brushes, though, that PI does not offer (that I can see, so far!). I've learnt to make my own brushes as well as collect free brushes all round the Net.

If there were some very simple and basic PS tutorials, I'd love them. I have tried some that I've found here but they are nearly a foreign language to me.

As far as books and videos go, due to my family and work committments, my reading time is limited which is why I've looked for forums online that might cater to others like myself.

I'd love to see a very beginners section here.

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2006, 05:34 PM

I'm back ....

It took me a while but I managed to split the Threads, so, no need to worry about hijacking anymore Candice!!

My idea of adding a new Beginners Forum wasn't a big success mainly due to the fact that we already have such a Forum ... I'm talking about our Education Forum .... So, absolute beginners, intermediate and, why not, advanced as well, can post their questions about Tools, Techniques and Methods there ....

In our Education Forum you can also find help for software other than Photoshop and, if the software you are using isn't in the list, you can always add it to it ....

I couldn't agree more with Rô about the fact that the best way to learn something is by teaching it ... starting from whatever Level you are ...

As Gina rightly pointed out, ... it might happen that "the 3rd graders are talking amongst themselves, not realizing the 2nd graders are listening in and don't understand some of the "big words" " ... but I'm sure that when asked the 3d graders will gladly explain the big words ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina_D
Also, in my quest for answers or acquiring a basis to understand the more complicated threads here, I came across numerous sites that offer information along those lines. There is no shortage of photoshop tutorials out there and many of them are of the beginner variety. I'd be happy to pass along what I've found if anyone cares to have those links, but it was just a matter of conducting a search.
... That's a very good tip! ... And any link you could pass on would be greatly appreciated!!
Well .... I think it has started already ... We just have to remember to post in the right place!

P.S. Gina, if I haven't done it yet, Welcome to RP and thanks!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2006, 06:01 PM

...so I went over to the Education forum to see who is the Mod there, and DUH! it's me.
Seems like I "won" it bundled with the Glossary Forum.
Things seem a little messy over there so I'll see what I can do to clean up.

Gimme a couple of days, OK?

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2006, 06:10 PM

Take your time Rô ....

We'll talk about the "Absolute Beginners Knitting" Section to add to the Education Forum only after you 'cleaned up' ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2006, 10:17 PM

knit one, perle two....damn! dropped a stitch!

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2006, 12:42 AM

Newbie Absolute Beginners Forum

Hi everybody,

Here are the latest news concerning the 'Absolute Beginners' Forum ... in discussing the subject with Doug, taking into consideration various possibilities, we decided that instead of separating a new forum area for beginner questions it would be better to leave the posts in their correct forum and add an option to clearly help identify them....

The Forum is the Help Requested Forum and not the Education Forum as I previously suggested ... and the identification comes in the form of a very cute baby (newbie) icon (the same one I used in my post here... )to be attached to Posts or Threads ....

Everybody answering those Posts or Threads is kindly requested to do so in a basic, clear, detailed way, so that even the newest newbie has a chance to follow the steps described .... After all, we all started as 'Absolute Beginners' ...

Last edited by Flora; 03-11-2006 at 01:29 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2006, 02:53 AM

Great idea, clear and simple.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration