Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Photoshop CS2 - how to use new perspective-tool ?

Old 03-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Newbie Photoshop CS2 - how to use new perspective-tool ?

using the new perspective filtertool of Photoshop CS2, i would need a movie to learn how to use it.
i tried it but nothing happened. reading the Photoshop help, sounds too complicated.

any hint?`

i got a room to correct, the horizontal lines are a bit distorted, only from the middle on upwards. would you rather use transform, or the filter? i could also use transform as it is only 5 or 10% distortion.

i tried transform, but the whole pic gets distorted then...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg room.jpg (79.0 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by pure; 03-12-2006 at 03:59 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2006, 06:54 PM
This method may seem rather pedantic, but actually it can be easier than direct "eye-balling".

1) Make a new empty layer;
2) Select the drawing tool (U), select to draw a line and a contrasting colour;
3) Idenitify and draw the principal lines of the image that "should" be vertical and / or horizontal. Best if you can find lines in all extremes of the image (Left / Right / Top / Bottom) - see attach.
4) Add a solid colour layer in between the two and merge these - see attach.
5) Open the filter Filter>Distort>Lens Correction;

Calculating the Correction
a) In the Top-Left corner select the "Straighten" tool. Choose a line from your image which is near the centre (Vertical or Horizontal), and draw (drag) a line from start to end - you have now straightened the image;
b) Some parts of the image are now transparent. In the bottom right corner, you have the choice of how to deal with this. Usually I would leave the transparency and deal with this later, but you have options there for CS2 to invent the missing pieces;
c) Now, with a bit of luck the centre vertical and horizontal lines are sqaured up. Adjust the vertical and horizontal perspective values to square the lines at the extremes;
d) Press "OK" to apply the filter.

Applying the Correction
1) Duplicate your original image;
2) Open the Distort>Lens Correction filter again;
3) In the "Settings" box choose "Previous Correction"
4) "OK"

OK, you don't need to do all that - but if you do you will learn how this works. I would, however, advise doing this always.

(but then again, I am rather pedantic sometimes)

have fun, and keep things in perspective!

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Perspective-prepare-byRo.jpg (99.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Perspective-lines-byRo.jpg (51.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Perspective-after-byRo.jpg (99.6 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Because there's always more than one way to do things in PS:

1) select crop tool
2) draw over entire image area
3) turn on perspective option
4) drag edges in to obvious "vertical" and "horizontal" markers
5) drag corners of crop area to make edges align with "verticals" and "horizontals"
6) drag crop edges to outer edge of image or beyond
7) commit crop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg room[1].jpg (32.0 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2006, 09:25 PM
the first thing i did was turn on the grid lines. this showed me that the picture was slightly rotated on the horizontal. since it's much easier to work with if at least one of the horizontal or vertical is squared to the eye, i rotated the whole image 1 degree.

that showed me exactly where the distortion was. it's on the right wall. there is a lens distortion going on there, also about 1 degree or so, though i didnt measure that one. using psp's 'straighten' tool, i moved the marker line of the tool over to that wall into a vertical position on a vertical line in the image where it was distorted and applied.

the trick to this one is finding exactly what is distorted and where and by how much. after that, correcting is simple.

i didnt do the follow up cleanup, but a simple crop or some cloning would fix where the canvas is now showing from the rotations. it might have even been possible to not rotate the image first if you could spot exactly what was skewed and then just run the 'straighten' tool to fix it. this would leave less cleanup.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg room-1-k-1.jpg (96.8 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2006, 09:26 PM
Check out the movies on Russell Browns site called -
Vanishing Point

Scroll down the page to find them.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2006, 08:23 AM

trying vanishing point. watched the movie, and draw a perspective. when i press enter, no grids are in my selected empty layer. made a mistake?

the crop thing i cant do. they need every pixel later.

edit: wow. first time i had a crash in Photoshop CS. simply selecting something. only 2 layers, image has 60x40 cm with 350 dpi. maybe too large

Last edited by pure; 03-13-2006 at 08:44 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2006, 08:34 AM
Peter, maybe you missed something, try with the pause button, When I check on a R. Brown technique, I always play the video and open an Image in my photoshop, then do the same things he do with pause every 10 seconds or so.

His video works just fine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2006, 12:44 PM
every pixel later, huh....ok. try this one:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg room-2-k-1a.jpg (96.1 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2006, 07:49 AM
finally i did it with transform, 3% upwards, whole picture, left side only. that made it also,

thanks for your help.

using vanishing point i still didnt get it. pressing "enter" in the filter results in an empty layer. i thought i get the blue grids, i created in v.point, into that layer.

i have to replace the metall, brown box on the left bottom, by a row of seats, or several rows of seats. i think vanishing point would be perfect for this yes?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2006, 08:52 AM
Newbie vanishing point in CS2...

I just did a great little tutorial on this in How to Wow, Photoshop for Photography by Jack Davis and Ben Wilmore. Following the step by step process, using the vanishing point filter to remove an object and replace with another in perspective, worked like a charm. Incidentally, I highly recommend this book as tool in building a solid foundation of photoshop skills. I'm currently working my way through it and have found it immensely informative as well as easy to follow.

Basically the process went like this:

1. Create a new empty layer.

2. Filter>Vanishing Point. From here, using the create plane tool (grid), you define your perspective. For instance, I was doing this on a photo of a brick wall and clicked on the corner of one brick on the upper righthand side, then following vertically, dropped to a brick below that, then across to the left, vertically up above and finally back to the right to "close the box". This box also contained the object I wanted to remove.

3. At this point, you could expand the grid if necessary. In my example, for instance, I increased the size of the grid to cover the width of the brick wall I was working on. Grab the stamp tool and hold Option/ Alt key while you define from where you'd like to clone, just like you would when using the clone tool. Now place the crosshairs where you'd like to begin cloning and drag. This part was amazing to me; not only cloning, but in perspective! It was wonderful. Ok, so I'm easily amused and entertained apparently. Click ok.

The tutorial went on to paste another image, in this case a logo, in the place of the item removed. If you reopen the filter, it maintains your grid from the earlier work, making the pasting of another item/ image in perspective a snap. Simply copy your new item/ image, create another empty layer, choose filter>vanishing point again and paste your new item in the filter. Drag onto the grid and adjust to scale using the transform tool.

You may have already solved the problem, but I thought I'd go ahead and post in case anyone else could benefit from this!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration