RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Help with first go at restoration?

Old 04-08-2006, 08:04 PM

Wow all the posts! took me awhile to find this thread again... sorry about that. And thanks for all the attempts and info on how you did it.

i think i may be stuck with the resolution that i scanned the photo at... :$ Think that is all that our little scanner can do unfortunately... We have an HP PSC 1210 (http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.co...e.php/2168941).

Any tips on squeezing extra resolution out of it?!

I will definately give it a go and post my result when i get it done. It may not be tonight or for awhile as i am heading out of town and had other projects go long today...

think it would be cheating to get rid of the background? there is nothing left to it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2006, 11:44 PM

Try scanning it more darkly--it's possible the baby's head can still be discerned from the background if you do. Try turning off the auto-exposure setting for the scanner.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2006, 01:25 PM

I think i may need to buy a better scanner as mine only scans at: 600 x 2400 dpi.

Even something like this would be an improvement:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1125466217810
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2006, 08:20 AM

if the scanner is a true optical 600 then that shld be sufficient for most things. if it's one of those 'digital' 600's, which are basically only doing a digital zoom to simulate the true optical, then you might want a different scanner.

i had another go at this. lots of clone and push (heavy smudge), a bit of lighten/darken, brightness/contrast adjustment layer, and a little 'aged newspaper' to give it a bit of character.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greatGrandParents-2-k-1b.jpg (87.1 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2006, 08:36 PM

So i took all of your advice and bought a new scanner... (may take it back as it may be more than i need) and scanned this photo in on the highest settings as it may be easier to edit...

What do you think of the dif?

Orig:
GreatGrandParents

With new scanner:
GreatGrandParentsNew

I scanned it on on the highest settings so it was about 6288 x 3816 in size at 70 megs as a TIF, so i lowered the size and saved it at max (12) as a jpg. Now its 1.5 megs...

Maybe i need to scan it in lower so there isnt any interpolation... (?)

New Scanner:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1118842671367
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2006, 01:52 AM

After doing some research, do you think i would be better off just to scan it in at 300 dpi as i am not actually getting any extra detail by scanning it in at a larger dpi... Scanning it in higher than 300 is just if i want to increase the size correct?

Should have some time to try editing it thursday or this weekend...

would i be just as ok with the 3490 or the 3590? I;m starting to have buyers remorse on spending an extra 150$! (had a good salesman talk me into it though...) :$

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....sortfilter.jsp
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2006, 01:42 AM

gave it a bit of a go tonight...

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4...tsstart2td.jpg

think i may cut out the bg entirely and put them somewhere else... the bg in the pic is shot anyway...

was just working on removing the cracks from their faces and bodies etc...

1hr of work so far. not close to being done yet!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2006, 09:38 AM

hi therookie,

if you look closely (as in zoom way in on the pictures) at the first post you made and at the one you did with the new scanner, you can see the differences. and in fact, there is quite a bit more detail in the new one. zoom in on the man's face, for instance and you shld be able to see. so, i'd say your new one is doing quite a bit better than the original scanner. it's also fairly obvious that this isnt just a digital enhancing, but rather a good optical difference. only you can say whether it was worth the extra $150, though

and yes, i wouldnt use any interpolation settings on the scanner. this is just digital resizing for the most part. just use the optical settings. i also wouldnt use any 'digital enhancing' during the scan unless it's something you know actually helps. some folks here swear by things like 'digital ice', but i cant speak to that since i dont have it.

the bottom line on these things is really you. what do you see? what differences do you see? what do you think? the greatest tool you have in photography or photographic editing is you, not the camera or the editor. we sometimes forget that. what's your take on it? what's your evaluation and so on. and one of the first steps and one of the most important, is observation. observation is a skill. it can be practiced. it can be improved. and as an artist or as a technician it is one of the most important.

Quote:
1hr of work so far. not close to being done yet!
heh...welcome to my world

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2006, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the thoughts Kraellin, its true that too often i try to find the 'right' way and just need to find 'my way'.

The first scan was actually done with my brothers crap all in one epson printer scanner combo thing so i dont know what a scan with the 3490 or the 3590 would look like. I cant imagine it would be too much less so i may have to take the nice machine i got back and recapture 150 bucks...

I dont think i was using interpolation settings on the scanner, it has quite a few settings (not near it now so cant post) but doesnt anywhere say that it is interpolating stuff... I think i like 600 dpi as what to scan it in at.

And this is my first go at everything, retouching, scanning etc so its all a learning process!

Will post my final when i finish it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2006, 10:55 AM

therookie,

well, i've gotten totally lost as to what all the resolutions are here we're talking about and which scanner you're using, but, the differences between your first post and the one with the new scanner are fairly marked. if you can get another at a cheaper price that does the same thing, why ok. but i'd hate to give up that extra resolution you got with the new scanner.

the job you've gotten so far looks good. i look forward to the final version.

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration