Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Would like to see and hear what to do with this

Old 04-23-2006, 03:21 PM
All the restore jobs here are great but Daviskw's job is superb. How did you rework this shot? Even the detail on the wallpaper is an excellent added touch.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Thank you Jon…I just got lucky on how it came out, that happens sometimes. I think all the other attempts are all great in there own ways.

I am always very basic, I just reworked the tone the best I could. Then like everyone else I used a lot of cloning and healing brush. I just copied rotated and pasted back parts of the workbench and window then did my best to blend them in. I selectively used blur and noise filters but tried to keep as much detail as I could.

I searched the net for turn of the century wallpaper and when I found a piece I liked I copied it in and worked the tone to match then reduced to opacity of the layer to allow some of the old paper to show thru.

To me the biggest challenge was to rid the picture of the milky gray in the shadows. I did this by using a blank layer set to color burn and filled with its neutral color, then with a very low opacity and a large soft brush I gently built up contrast in those areas. It works sometimes by darkening the lighter gray but leaving darker colors mostly unchanged.

Then I added back a little sepia tone.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration