Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

digital makeup

Old 04-11-2006, 01:13 PM
digital makeup

Does anyone know of any fashion or beauty tutorials for digitally applying makeup using photoshop? Any tips or suggestions you have to share will also be appreciated.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Ciao Bella

Look here:
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2006, 11:00 PM
I'm sure there are some but I thought I'd give you my ideas too

I do this heaps, and my usual technique is combining the darken or multiply options for brushes/layers, low opacity and doing it all on its own layer so I can play more with the opacity and blending options. I also think its worth remembering to do all the areas you can barely see if the make up had been applied on the actual face - like a very light colour near the brows, and also remembering to darken the gap between lips on a closed mouth. To do this I usually go over the whole area and then use the burn tool to bring back the separation of the lips.

I also tend to prefer using the burn tool to highlight eyelashes and any eyeliner that is already there or to darken colours barely visible that were actually applied to the face.

I've had this photo on here before - this was my first attempt at adding all make up completely from scratch - none of it was originally on the face. I did it using the above methods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg haircut2.jpg (62.9 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Bella, I use soft brushes with low opacity (you can increase it if it isn't deep enough) using the skin tone colour I capture with the eyedropper on the area of the face that I'm working on.

If you're applying eye shades to the lids or brows, you can create a colour you fancy from your own colour palette and for the brows, sample with the eyedropper from the existing brow line.

Remember that less is more and it's easier to add than to subtract, I've found. Using the Burn tool to apply under-chin or jaw shadows if you've adjusted the chin or jaw line, setting to a low opacity works well. Especially if you need to recreate a proper jawline, like in an older person with jowls and droops.

If you're doing an elderly person (I do some "seasoned" professionals and politicians) and I've found the PS Liquify tool irreplaceable for sculpting away the double chins and turkey necks. My little girl loves to watch me get rid of the "gobblers," as she calls them.

To add realism, you can make a selection and add a wee bit of Noise or use a skin sample with pores (even from the subject themself,) and layer that over the redone areas and adjust the opacity to suit.

That's my bit then.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2006, 02:47 AM
Thanks guys, as always!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration