RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Problem: Bad Case Of Lens Flare

Old 04-20-2006, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dog
...You said you were an "Englishman in Brasil". Are you an ex-patriot or was that a humorous reference to Sting's song.
Ex-patriot, been here since 1979 (known to be humorous at times).
Quote:
Anyway, one of my great loves and a subject that I know far to much about is Jobim.
He is still an icon here. Just this week they opened a centre in the botanical gardens (his favourite hide-out) with his name, dedicated to the musical arts.
Quote:
Well, I have always wanted to go to Brasil and even thought of learning Portuguese. Unfortunately, language is not something that I am any good at.
Great, just remember there's a lot more to Brazil than Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo.
People around here don't like it when I say it but, (ordinary) Portuguese is pretty easy. Regular constructions and simple read-it-say-it phonetics.

See you soon!

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2006, 05:43 AM

No Reply Necessary

I forgot Elis Regina. The first time I heard her sing she brought tears to my eyes. Still does. God bless her.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2006, 11:37 AM

Golden ratio debunked?

Interesting:

http://www.umcs.maine.edu/~markov/GoldenRatio.pdf

dc
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2006, 08:28 PM

Yes, quite interesting.

I wholly agree with a lot of what is said there. People do strive to find a simple rule that will explain "Life, the Universe and Everything"*. Sites like this one demonstrate how things can go way too far.
But just like the modern "myth busters", our friend here seems to also "go too far" in his eagerness to bust the myth instead of stopping to think why the "golden mean" (or whatever you may call it) gets quoted so much.

Maybe the Greeks didn't go around measuring everything using bits of string wrapped around 1,2, sqrt(5) triangles (practical way to measure in those times). Maybe they just piled up the columns until the boss said "Stop, that looks pretty now".
Now we come around centuries later and shine our lasers and come up with ratios of 1.618. Does it make any difference how it got there or what it was called? It looked good then, and looks good now.

One thing to ponder a while though. Are our preferences changing?
You are (very probably) looking at a 4:3 screen.
If you have a sheet of paper in front of you it will (quite probably) be A-4, with proportions sqrt(2).
Are you fixing a photo, maybe its 4 x 6, or 8 x 10?
You (well, I do) spend your day surrounded by things with proportions 1.25, 1.3333, 1.414 or 1.5. Sometimes I try cropping a picture to the "golden" 1.618 - it always ends up looking too long.

The "shortening" process is already an issue for the cinema. Well, at least, an issue for me and you who try to watch a wide-screen movie on a PC Monitor!

blue dog, Elis was great, (and her daughter is fast becoming very popular) but my favourite from those days is Vinícius de Moraes.

Have fun,

* the answer is still 42.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2006, 09:17 PM

Oh, Ro...

You tax my feable brain at this hour of the evening waxing so philosophical.

I do set my Photoshop defaults up to give me guides at 33 and 66 percent on horizontal and vertical regardless of the size document I create. They are there unless I choose to turn them off, but often when I can't decide how to position something, I find those guides handy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2006, 11:58 AM

Swampy, it's been some time that I've been thinking about composition "rules" - in fact, I've been planning a tutorial in the subject.

Seems that I came over as being against the thirds rule. Not quite.
As a quick simplification it does help, but if you have time and the tools to compose an image then a little theory (with the usual disclaimers) would come in useful.

Take a look at the two bars in the first attachment. The first is divided at a third and the lower at the golden ratio.
Says "theory" that the top one makes us more umcomfortable because the larger side looks like it needs some balancing - as in the second attachment.
The lower bar, in the Golden ration however looks more "balanced".

I stole your photo and did two versions - one by thirds, one by Golden ratio.
For the thirds I put in a little bird (well, a check mark really) at the opposite third - called the "counterpoint". As you can see, that one little black spot balances all the rest - and pulls a lot of attention to itself.
For the other version, no need for extra balancing - everything is at peace.

Well, that's the theory - hope this helps.

Attached Images
File Type: png Golden_Thirds_byRo.png (467 Bytes, 5 views)
File Type: png Thirds_counterpoint_byRo.png (523 Bytes, 4 views)
File Type: jpg swampys_tree_thirds_byRo.jpg (98.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg swampys_tree_golden_byRo.jpg (99.6 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2006, 09:48 AM

Golden ratio is everywhere

This link is to Cardas Audio, one of the most respected makers of cable, who bases his designs around the golden mean.

Audiophiles are even more nutty about their gear tha photographers, and spend thousands of $$$ on cable!

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...n+Stereo+Magic
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2006, 09:53 AM

Golden ratio is everywhere

This link is to Cardas Audio, one of the most respected makers of cable, who bases his designs around the golden mean.

Audiophiles are even more nutty about their gear tha photographers, and spend thousands of $$$ on cable!

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...n+Stereo+Magic
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2006, 11:16 AM

interesting discussion.

i'm not normally a 'numbers' guy. maybe i shld be, but i'm really not. i look at something and if it looks 'right' then ok. so, i guess this is a discussion on what is 'right'. most of us who've been here for any length of time have probably also heard the discussions on skin tone and color numbers and more recently the light source thread; all worthy discussions with some interesting ideas.

and since i've heard some of this discussion before, golden mean, rule of thirds and so on, i looked it up on google. there are some good explanations of all this out there for anyone that wants to know. it would seem Aristotle was the first to 'do the math' on all this.

but i'm mostly just fascinated with Ro's use of and reference to 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe' and the Myth Busters

also, what the heck is 'sqrt(5)' and 'sqrt(2)', square root of 5 and of 2? is that what that means?

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2006, 11:21 AM

Ro,

Very effective demonstration. I am going to start giving the Divine a try and see where it leads.

If you should write a tutorial be sure to address the vertical and the combinations too. Oh, this may be more than you care to tackle, in one of those analysis of a classic painting I saw arguments about the 'golden' size relationship between near and far objects.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration