RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

creating a whole picture from a small marblefloor square-pattern

Old 04-12-2006, 12:38 PM

Newbie creating a whole picture from a small marblefloor square-pattern

whats the easiest and fastes way to create a huge picture of marblefloor with Photoshop CS2?

i tried the pattern maker filter, but it created only a mechanic duplicate of the same pattern, rowed and chained and very tiny.

in the end it should look like the original but 10, better 20times the dimensions of the pattern, but no visible duplications, borders, edges, lines, or repeated structures....

(how is this called in english, i want to generate?)

i did it manually in the end, but it took me the whole day, using the stamptool (which created soft edges, hm), and duplicated the pattern, turning it around to prevent visible corners.

maybe a lot easier&faster method i am not aware of?

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pattern.jpg (68.5 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by pure; 04-12-2006 at 12:49 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2006, 12:51 PM

yes. here it is <

the pattern is the source, i am obliged to use. i cant use a selfcreated synthetic one. sorry. ( i guess it would not look so natural)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Patron

Seamless Tile

The technique below works well for vreating a seamless tile from a diversity of patterns. But first a warning is in order. If you tile your orig pattern as you have attached here, you will notice that it is brighter and less dense at the lower left corner than it is at the top right. There appears to be a gradient of brightness diagonally across the image. Like any pattern that you create a tile of, if there is a distinct shape within the pattern, then that shape will also repeat itsef as the pattern is repeated even if the egdes have a smooth gradual transition.

Technique:
-Start with you origianl pattern (any shape or size, however it is preferable if the dimensions have an even number of pixels (divisible by 2).
- Duplicate the background to a new layer
- On the new layer go Filter>Other>Offset. In the dialog window change both dimensions to 1/2 or the actual lengths and make sure the Wrap Around button is selected. Click OK. What you will see is a vertical and horizontal seam running through the image at the centers.
- Click the mask icon at the bottom of the Channels palette to add a layer mask (it will be white)
- With the layer mask selected, choose a small soft black brush and begin to paint over the seams on the top layer. If you happen to expose part of a the layer beneath in suchh a manner that there are two objects which clash, you can paint on either side of the seam so that you cover or expose a whole object on either layer. In other words you are trying to get a realistic looking pattern. The goal is to try to cover the seam and expose as little else as possible.
- Next Crtl+Alt+Sift+E to merge everything to a new layer (CS2). If you do not use CS2 then you will first need to create a new blank layer then Alt+Merge Visible.
- On this new layer, select Filter>Offset. The Offset should already be the default filter in the filter menu and it will still have the same settings.
- Examine the image. You will most likely see one or two small seams anywhere in the image. These are usually smaller than the entire length or width. Add another Layer Mask and paint over these residual seams
- Do one more merge visble new layer and use that to Edit>Define Pattern.
Now you can fill it into any size image and the edges where they join should be smooth and seamless.
Regards, MM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stone Seamless Tile.jpg (97.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Seamless Tile Palette.jpg (72.9 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2006, 03:26 PM

thanks

my english is not so 100% perfect that i am stuck a bit at step 1:

is this right or wrong i did? do you start with an empty workspace like i did or workspace only as big as the tile?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test1.jpg (49.0 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Patron

The image should be only as big as the tile. The idea is to turn the tile into a seamless tile. When you define it as a pattern (Edit>Define Pattern), PS will save it. Then you open a new document which is your floor which will be much larger than your tile, and then Edit>Fill>Pattern and select the seamless tile you just created from the pull down menu.
If I have not explained this well, please let me know.
Regards, MM
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2006, 10:45 AM

The pattern maker will do what you are after, you just need to set it up correctly.

1. Put your granite pattern into your image--it should be a small raster image on an otherwise transparent layer.
2. Put a rectangular selection marquee around it. I used the magic wand to select the transparent area, then inverted the selection.
3. Run the pattern maker filter
4. In the pattern maker dialog, click the "use image size" button--this should set the width and height to that of your image (not the sample pattern.) Set smoothness to 3. Click generate.

Now you should have your pattern randomly extended to the full size of the image--should be no discernable repetition.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Patron

Bart, your method works for Pure's pattern but doesn't work well for mine. On low smoothenss setting of 1, it maintans detail but produces seams all over the image. If you raise the smoothness the detail is badly distorted even though the pattern is more random. On the other hand, when I fill my tile into a large image, there are no seams. However, you can see the pattern repeating itself because the tiles are layed down in the same direction.

Depending on the intent, one may be more suited than the other. But its nice to have two ways of doing it.

Regards, MM
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2006, 08:59 PM

You're absolutely right--the pattern maker is really meant for patterns that are pretty random and/or fine or have shapes with fuzzy boundaries (like clouds or ocean waves). It's perfect for things like granite or marble or distant forests or lawn grass.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2006, 02:48 AM

Seamless Tile

Jasc PaintShopPro 8,9 and Corel PaintShopPro X have Seamless tile filter.
This filter creates seamless tile form image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2006, 02:52 AM

Attached Image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pat.jpg (52.2 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration