RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Help using clone & healing with new layers

Old 04-16-2006, 01:46 PM

Help using clone & healing with new layers

I am restoring old photos that have been cracked, creased and torn.

My problem is that many times when I add a new layer on which I want to clone or heal, I get an error message that the layer is empty or some other error. The only sure way I can use those tools is when I activate a layer that has an 'image icon'. Initiating fixes on 'new layers' is a problem.

Please tell me what I'm missing.

Thanks, Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2006, 03:08 PM

It sounds like you are trying to "repair" an empty layer... thus the message.

What you probably want is not an empty layer but a copy of the layer that you want to fix.

you could also:

When you clone/heal, make sure the "Sample all Layers" switch is on that way the "fixes" will be recorded in the new "empty" layer and not the layer with the defects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestremera
I am restoring old photos that have been cracked, creased and torn.

My problem is that many times when I add a new layer on which I want to clone or heal, I get an error message that the layer is empty or some other error. The only sure way I can use those tools is when I activate a layer that has an 'image icon'. Initiating fixes on 'new layers' is a problem.

Please tell me what I'm missing.

Thanks, Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Patron

Bob, actually a blank layer is fine to do your healing on. That way if you make some errors you can correct it or you can delete that new layer. Aff a new blank layer and select the stamp (clone) toll. You can proceed two ways.
1. Check the little box in the Option Bar that says Sample All layers. That way the toll will sample all of the info below it even if the layers below are not selected.

2. The other method is to select the stamp tool, then select the layer you want to sample from. Make your Alt Stamp, then go up to the new blank layer and stamp. If you leave the Aligned box checked, you can just stay on the new blank layer.

Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2006, 04:17 PM

I just want to get this straight. You create a new blank raster layer. Then you select, say, the clone tool from the tool palette. Then you check the "sample all layers" box so the repairs are done on the blank layer using sample information from all layers as though they were merged.

But you are saying that when you try to paint (left mouse click and drag) you get an error message.

Is it possible you haven't taken a sample yet? You have to take a sample for either the clone or heal brush to work.

Also, what do you mean by image icon? Do you mean raster layer? If so, you must have a raster layer turned on to use the clone/heal brush (exception is masks--you can also clone/heal masks, but I don't think I've ever done that.) You can't clone from a raster layer to a mask or clone on an adjustment layer.

If I'm still not helping, maybe you can post a picture of your layer palette and the exact error message. Just a warning--I'm about to leave on business for two days, so maybe someone else will solve the mystery.

Incidentally, it should be no problem to clone or heal onto a blank raster layer (in fact, that's what I always do)--just make sure you check the "sample all layers" box.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2006, 11:14 PM

Are you using Photoshop 7? The healing brush does not have a "use all layers" option in that version so you have no choice but to make a copy layer of the base image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2006, 04:46 AM

Thanks for the layers help everybody

Had some very helpful replies to my questions.

Thanks all, Bob
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration