RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Edith Helen Humphreys

Old 04-18-2006, 02:29 PM

Retouch

Thank you for all your work and for the tutorials.
I will try slowly and hopefully achieve the excellence found in Retouch Pro
Again thanks for your time and effort.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 02:06 AM

As per Roadrunners request, I'm posting a more detailed description of what I did.

Firstly I made a copy of the background, by dragging the BG to the new layer symbol at the bottom of the layers palette.

Now I selected the Polaroid D&S filter from my Filter menu (I'm using the plug in for Photoshop, not quite sure how you'd do this using the "stand alone" version), and made the following settings Light Dust (unchecked), Tile size (1st mark in from left), Defect level (5th mark in from left), Mask size (1st mark in from left), Feathering (centre mark) then applied it.

This gave an unacceptable image, as it blurred detail I wanted. To keep the blur only to the areas where I wanted to get rid of the dark dust marks, I did the following.

Made the layer where I'd used D&S active, then Alt+clicked the layer mask symbol at the bottom of the layer palette (square with circle inside it). This applies a coverall mask (all black) which hides all the blurring, so it appears you've done nothing to the image.

Now using a soft white brush (set to 100%), I painted on the mask (click on the black mask to make sure its selected) to reveal the filter efffect, and thereby hide the dust marks, only in the areas I painted white.

Next I created a new layer, and cloned out any marks or blemishes not done by the filter.

Created another new layer by clicking on the arrow on the tab of the layers palette, and clicking new layer. From the drop down palette I set mode to soft light, and checked "fill with 50% grey".

Now using a soft black brush set to about 10% opacity, I painted on the area of her jaw line to darken it.

I now flattened the image, and applied Neat Image to it. (can't remember exact settings, I do this by eye).

Hope this clarifies things a little.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 02:46 PM

gary,

the plugin version of polaroid d&s works just fine with psp 9 and 10. not sure about earlier versions. there is an image size limitation for some reason. something around 800 pixels on any given side, but it does work. you dont get the built in masking with the plugin, but you dont need it since you can pre-mask your work within psp itself. i use it all the time.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 03:13 PM

Glad to hear the plug in works with PSP Craig, thanks for the correction. I much prefer Polaroid D&S to Photoshop's native D&S filter, and like you, use it all the time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 05:23 PM

Restoration

Gary
thanks for the info that you sent. I can understand much better now.
I am an educator and a visual learner. I need to see things written down, I follow the directions and learn by trial and error, so your help is appreciated.
To use the Polaroid D&S filter, do I have to open it separately from Photo shop as it is a separate program. I have downloaded it, printed the instructions, but so far I have not had time to use it.
Again, I appreciate all that you have done.
Joy
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 06:44 PM

Hi Joy,

Glad I could help a little.

If you're using the filter as a stand alone programme you run it from outside Photoshop.

However if you've installed the plug-in, it's accessed through the Filter menu.

(Its a long time since I installed the plug-in, so can't give exact instructions how to do so at the minute. Its past midnight here, so I'll download another copy in the morning and work out how to install it again so I can give you some instructions.)

Keep an eye on this post and I'll post them here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2006, 03:25 AM

OK, woke up a little now (well as much as I ever do).

Joy, I presume you've already downloaded and installed Polaroid Dust and Scratches filter, and you've now got a Polaroid folder in your Program Files.

So, to install the Photoshop plug-in, do the following.

Go to C:\Program Files\Polaroid\Polaroid Dust and Scratches Removal and find a file named PolaDSR.8bf.

Copy this file to the following location (this is for Photoshop 7 which I use, may be slightly different for different versions).

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Plugins\Filters

Open Photoshop, and you should now have Polaroid D&S added to your Filter menu.

Hope this helps.

Gary
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2006, 12:26 PM

Poloroid

Gary
thanks for sending the info. I will have a go and get back to you.
All this is new to me, but oh so good for my brain
Joy
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration