RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Oversized scans

Old 04-19-2006, 10:57 PM

Oversized scans

I may have to scan an image that is in the 25x21 area. I only have the standard 8.5x11. The one option that I know of is to scan it in pieces and then put it back together on PS. One thing I have read about that though is that you should scan each piece of the image in the same direction and with the scanner lid I think that makes it difficult. I'd essentially have to take the scanner lid off to be able to do that.

Other than this, I am wondering if anyone takes extra large images to a photo lab or print house or whatever to have it scanned in one piece.

If anyone can fill me in on this issue I would love to hear it.

The other thing is the proper way to package photos. Especially these large ones. The person I might do this work for said he'd send it to me in a tube but I got real nervous about that because it could make it difficult to scan if it has bends in it and could damage the image itself. Does anyone have any recommendations on the idea of packaging?

Thanks
Isaac
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 11:21 PM

Scan At A Higher DPI

That will make the picture show more detail. It should help... with size, also.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 11:34 PM

I don't know what I'm missing there but that says very little to me. What about the scanning in different directions? Can I get away with it? How do you do it? The thing a scanning at a higher resolution is that I will be working with an incredibly large file even if I scan at 300dpi. What were you talk about as far as scanning at a higher res?

The reason that scanning in different directions is not recommended in what I read is because of the print texture. It would reflect the light differently in the two different directions I scanned in. Therefore it would make restoring it that much more difficult.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2006, 12:58 AM

I just remembered that I did once scan in a large poster. The poster was somewhat flexible so that when I put it on the scanner to scan a portion, the scanner lid pressed it down flush to the glass. For something like this, it would be a good idea to see if you can get a flatbed scanner that is totally flush AND has a removeable lid (so you don't have to rotate the original)--on my scanner the glass is slightly recessed from the surround so when the lid comes down, it slightly bends an oversized original. This would be especially critical if the original is delicate and would be damaged by being bent or if it's rigid (sounds like it's not if it can go in a tube). In my case the poster was simple durable card stock and I didn't even need to keep it.

As for texture, you must do all of the partial scans in the same orientation so the texture matches everywhere.

If you can get a scanner like I described (don't know if they exist) then the curling from the tube shouldn't matter because the scanner will hold it flat during scanning. You can probably also gently roll it in the opposite direction to un-curl it a bit. Of course I'm assuming the original is durable enough to tolerate all of this rolling and unrolling. If it's super delicate, then you'd probably need some sort of special packaging--maybe sandwhich it between two pieces of poster board and 1/4" plywood.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2006, 02:30 AM

Thanks Bart

I have pretty much decided on either the epson perfection 4990 pro or regular. If someone convinces me of the V700 instead in the next day or two then I still may go with that. Anyways, the point is that I checked the 4990 and it does have an easily removable lid on it. This was my main concern. I'm not sure if the scan surface is completely flush or not though. I think I'll be alright. I'll give you a look if this ever comes through. I'm a bit nervous about scanning it in at 600dpi which I like to do in order to be able to zoom in really close to the image when I have to. That will make for one hell of a file size while I'm working on it. Do to the large size, I think I am right that the quality will have to be better and more meticulously done as mistakes tend to show up more readily in larger images. We'll see.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2006, 03:03 AM

Larger size actually makes the retouching job easier (assuming you don't run out of memory). It's important that you scan at high enough resolution to capture the film grain and texture. All noise reduction tools and techniques do better if the noise isn't undersampled. You can downsize the image in Photoshop after you are satisfied with the removal of noise/texture.

If you undersample the texture, you may cause aliasing which will manifest itself as moire patterns.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2006, 04:16 AM

I was referring to the attention to detail that is needed with larger images. I thought every little thing could be caught in larger images. I am getting familiar with how to work with the resolution but I still like to work with images in 600ppi in order to get the zoom abilities and with a 21x25 image that makes for quite a large file. I'm basing that on the file sizes I saw with a 5x7 at 1200ppi. I could go down to 300ppi if I ran into problems but I like to keep it at 600 for the editing process.

Thanks again. You have been a big help. Even the things that I may have read elsewhere as well, it helps to hear them again from someone here like you who I look at as someone who knows what they are talking about. I usually need a lot of help at the beginning of things that I'm learning for assurance as much as anything but once I get it, I'm much more self reliant. Maybe you know what I'm talking about. It just helps to have the assurance from someone else at this stage so I can feel more secure with what I am doing.

Isaac
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2006, 07:04 PM

I often get large pahots that need to be scanned in sections and then I reassemble them. I would prefer not to do it this way but sometimes there is very little alternative. When I scan in pieces I make sure that I overlap so that I can blend the pieces together successuflly. I also try to scan in the same direction for all pieces. My scanner has a floating lid so it makes it easy but one thing I try to do is elimate any outside light from the scanner when I'm doing this type of scan. To do this I cover the whole scanner with a dark piece of material I'm not sure that this is necessary but I do it anyway. Always reassemble the scan before you try to do any restoration. Hope this helps
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2006, 07:26 PM

imann, i dont remember the prices, but i do recall seeing a scanner on the HP site which could handle 42 inches. if you're planning on doing large format scanning on a regular basis it might be worth looking into. if not, i'd try to find someone local who could handle those sizes and have them do it.

the biggest problem with oversized scans is, shadows and a loss of texture. as you bend the material in the scanner, the outside edges arent going to show up right because they are partially lifted off the scanner plate. thus, you often need to overlap your scanned area and then do some fancy cropping and joining.

orientation is ususally fairly easy to handle due to nice straight edges on the scanner surround. you simply keep your material flush against that edge, or, if your scanner has a 'buffer' zone on the plate that doesnt scan, cut yourself a strip of something firm to use as a guide for your material. put this on the plate over the buffer zone and use the edge of your cut piece as your guide. i had one scanner that had about a 1/4 inch buffer zone along at least one edge. i got used to putting my material along a different edge

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2006, 10:35 PM

Hey Craig, I haven't checked but I doubt it is in my price range. Printers that big started getting into the 7k range.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration