RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Tricky restoration - ink on photo !

Old 04-23-2006, 05:08 PM

Tricky restoration - ink on photo !

Hi all.. my first post here
I'd like some ideas on how to fix a problem photo restoration.
First, it is a photo taken in the 70's and it came to me with a horrid red/pink cast. I was able to fix that pretty easily. This photo of a child has a really horrible octagonal pattern to it in the photo paper, which is a pain to deal with in and of itself. The worst though is that someone wrote across this photo in blue ink ! Some of this ink goes right across the child's face, so I not only have to deal with the pattern in the paper, but how to get out this ink too. The ink is highly visible in all 3 channels.

I've replaced the background with a faux studio backdrop and that eliminated a great deal of the ink problem, but I just don't know how to solve the combination of the pattern AND the ink on the kid's face.

I've got the FFT filter but it did cost me some detail. I ran it on a copy of the picture, so the original is still ok.

Help ... any suggestions ?? Do you need to see the photo ?? I use Photoshop CS and I'm not a novice with it. I've learned to do quite a bit of restoration from Katrin Eismann's book, but this problem is a devil.

Thanks in advance !
Diane
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2006, 05:15 PM

can u attatch a thumbnail so we can see?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2006, 07:24 PM

Sure.
The 1st one on the left is a close-up of the kid's face with the original color cast corrected and the background already replaced.

The 2nd one is the status of the photo to date.
The 3rd one is the photo as it was given to me - pretty ugly.

I've got plenty of work to do yet, but I need to get this ink out somehow. This is 1 of 2 of the only photos my co-worker has of her husband as a child, so I'd really like to clean this up for her.

Thanks !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brian_dmgclose.jpg (51.7 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg Brian-retouched1.jpg (45.8 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Brian_orig.jpg (45.7 KB, 143 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2006, 09:05 PM

yuck! lol. I can't help you with instructions for ps, but i'm sure it's going to take a lot of masks and stuff. A lot of the members here are seasoned pros with the editor you're using. maybe they'll come up with something.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2006, 10:03 PM

Yeahh.. yuck exactly. Hopefully someone can suggest something.

Thanks for looking
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2006, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadynRed
Yeahh.. yuck exactly. Hopefully someone can suggest something.

Thanks for looking
Hate to start from scratch, however, I would have started with either the green or the blue channel, copied and pasted that channel into your layers as a starting point. You would have to clone to fix the ink left on the face, but it is less daunting then with the original. Then use curves or levels to adjust different areas of contrast and then colorize. Lots of work no matter how you get there.

Lots of people here can give you other ideas, as there are always multiple ways to get to the same objective in PS.
~Nancy~
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2006, 11:21 PM

Hi Diane

I looked at the blue channel and it had the least ink so I converted to grayscale and back to RGB using the blue channel.

I then cloned the few dark spots out and used the healing brush as well. Then I just added color back using the gradient maps.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brian-retouched1.jpg (89.9 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Brian_orig.jpg (81.3 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 04-24-2006 at 01:40 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2006, 12:05 AM

Diane

You may already know this so forgive me if you do. A way to reduce the moiré of paper is to scan using the descreen function if you have one.

Also scan the picture in one direction then flip it upside down and scan again. Then import them to layers flip and align using the difference mode. Experiment with opacities and blendmodes from there. Scanning in different directions reduces the shadows that aggravate the paper moiré.

Also I have Elements so I don't know the Photoshop equivalents but I use a combination of filters to reduce the moiré even more. I start with the noise filter then a second application of the medium filter. I use masks to keep detail where needed such as the eyes.

Good luck
Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2006, 01:05 AM

First, I followed the procedure described in this tutorial to attenuate the paper texture.

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=185

Then create a blank layer with blend mode set to color, then use the brush tool. Sample colors near the ink and paint over them with the brush. This gets rid of the vivid ink hue so now it's just a luminance noise.

Create another blank layer with normal blend mode and use the heal and clone brushes to remove the rest of the ink. Using the step prior to this to remove the hue helps the heal brush not to have to work so hard--if you skip it you'll find the heal brush does great removing the luminance error of the ink, but it's hard to remove all residual bluish color.

Copy merge (ctrl-alt-shift-E) and ran Noise Ninja on that.

Create yet another blank layer to do a bit more healing that I overlooked before.

Copy merge again and do a selective smart sharpen to sharpen up some of the facial features.

If I were doing the whole thing, I'd probably have curve-boosted the saturation and tweaked color balance slightly.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg remove_ink_from_boy.jpg (23.8 KB, 92 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2006, 01:17 AM

Diane,

I know this is not going through the retouching phases of fixing the photo. Do you have the actual photo or just a digital version of it? I 've worked in the photo lab business for 17 years, and there is a product on the market called PEC12 that takes ink and even sharpies off a photo without damaging it.

It's just a suggestion but thought I should throw it out there.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration