RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Cleaning Pics Before Scanning

Old 04-24-2006, 01:29 AM

Cleaning Pics Before Scanning

I stumbled across this tutorial - http://www.pixeladdiction.com/bb/art...rticle&artid=7 about preparing your picture for scanning. It says to dab a bit of isopropyl alcohol on a corner for spot checking, and if it's ok clean the rest of the pic with alcohol. I probably will never try this method since I firmly believe in preserving the original and don't want to do anything to harm it, not even one spot.

My question is do any of you clean your pictures before scanning, and if you do what do you use? Is there anything that's safe to clean pictures with, or just stick to knocking some of the dust off with a clean soft rag like you clean eyeglasses with?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2006, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytreephoto
I stumbled across this tutorial - http://www.pixeladdiction.com/bb/art...rticle&artid=7 about preparing your picture for scanning. It says to dab a bit of isopropyl alcohol on a corner for spot checking, and if it's ok clean the rest of the pic with alcohol. I probably will never try this method since I firmly believe in preserving the original and don't want to do anything to harm it, not even one spot.

My question is do any of you clean your pictures before scanning, and if you do what do you use? Is there anything that's safe to clean pictures with, or just stick to knocking some of the dust off with a clean soft rag like you clean eyeglasses with?
I've wondered about cleaning as well, although for anything other than dusting, I believe I'll leave that to the professionals. I'll be interested to hear the comments on this.

I too had come across the tutorial you mentioned and what sent up a red flag to me was the recommendation to spray the photo with matte spray to degloss. Wondering if this is a common practice? I'd be leary of spraying something like that on a photo not knowing what sort of effects it could have in either the short or long term. It's not anything I'm looking to do, but curious if anyone has knowledge of this practice?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 11:14 AM

I'd forgotten about spraying the pic with the matte. I would have to be very irate if I took a picture to someone for restoration and they did all that. I've found people want their originals back in the same shape they left it in, which I don't blame them, I would too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 11:41 AM

Here's something you might be interested in Gina - http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/local...cecleaning.asp
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytreephoto
Here's something you might be interested in Gina - http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/local...cecleaning.asp
Thanks Sarah! There was some good information there that I'll be sure to put to use. I hadn't thought of the plastic mars type erasers, but that makes sense and I have several around lurking in my art supplies I know. Have you used this method on any photos yourself?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 04:54 PM

i havent had the courage to try to clean anything other than with a soft eyeglass hankey thing. I dont have that kind of an eraser sitting around, but I'm sure they aint that expensive. i'm going to talk to the historical society and see if anyone there knows anything, maybe they can help me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Patron

If you want to clean the dust or loose dirt on prints or negatives or slides, the safest thing to use is air. The cans are pretty useless and I would recommend if you do a fair amount of scanning to invest in a small compressor with a tank and pressure regulator. Very effective, safe, and environmentally safe.
Sometimes you need to moisten other matter to loosen or disolve it. For film and negatives, Isopropyl Alcohol is the safest product to use. HOWEVER, not the rubbing alcohol your purchase at your pharmacy which is 70%. You need to use 90% or higher. 99% Isopropanol is now readily available. I do not like using it on any print material as it can make things worse depending on the materials porosity and absorption profile. Unless you have a real major spill on a print, you may be best of just dusting it and fix the rest in PS.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday
If you want to clean the dust or loose dirt on prints or negatives or slides, the safest thing to use is air. The cans are pretty useless and I would recommend if you do a fair amount of scanning to invest in a small compressor with a tank and pressure regulator. Very effective, safe, and environmentally safe.
Air. Of course! Seems obvious now, although I can't see investing in a compressor at this stage. The cans would be more fitting for my situation, but sounds like they are of limited value. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 10:50 PM
Patron

The air cans are more than useless. Firstly they can't generate the pressure req'd to adequately blow off the dust. They contain Tetrafluoroethane which is unfriendly to your lungs and your living environmet. If you don't hold the can at the right angle and the liquid version of the gas hits your photo, it will leave an ugly white residue.

FYI, your neighbourhood Home Depot or big box hardware store carries small ac powered compressors used to inflate tires and air matresses or power light air tools. They usually output 100 PSI pressure and are under $100. A 5 gallon air tank and a short hose w/ nozzle gives you an adequate set up. Something to consider if you scan a lot.

Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2006, 04:02 PM

If you really want to know how to clean pics before scanning read this...

Kodak Professional has a solution to clean negatives but you can use it on pics, the name is Kodak Professional Photo-Flo 200 solution, you can buy this at adorama.com but if you want to know more about this solution check the Kodak website.

This solution has to be diluted with water to use it. When you have this mix prepared you can bathe pics for about 1 minute, then rinse with water and leave it to dry.

Hope this'll be useful. And by the way, I've used it as a photographer and retoucher.

Hugs,

Silvia.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration