Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Suggestions?

Old 04-25-2006, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviskw
Hi There

Not sure if this is any better but you may still want to try it. I used the offset layer procedure with the layer set to darken and a mask attached.. then a small amount of noise filter.

I forgot to add... an excellent job you did...great final outcome.

Butch
Thanks Butch, I think the family will be pleased as it's the only photo they have of these two relatives.

Ok, the offset layer procedure... could you elaborate or point me in the right direction to something to read? I did some searching, but I don't think what I found is the same thing. Thanks for your response!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday
Gina, if you are looking to get rid of the large orange splotches or at least the discolorations, here is a 20 sec fix. Change the image mode from RGB to LAB. Apply a gaussian blur of between 5 and 10 first to the B channel and then if necessary to the A channel. (You may not need to do it to A depending on the version of the image you are working on). Then convert back to RGB.
Regards, Murray
Hi Murray,

Well, LAB will be new territory for me, but I guess I'll wade in here at the shallow end with a relatively simple problem and see how it goes! Thanks for the advice.

Gina
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 12:04 AM

It is easy just duplicate your background twice or stamp a visible layer and duplicate it.

You now have two layers, name one lighten the other darken.

Turn off the lighten layer.

Click on the darken layer, then the move tool and press the down arrow twice and the right arrow twice to offset the layers.

Now set the blendmode to darken and attach a filled mask.

Select a white brush and paint on your light spots. It will remove most and those that it does not remove finish with the clone or healing brush.

It you have dark spots do the same as above with the Lighten layer.

It is just a basic non-destructive way to hide spots. I only used it where I needed it, not on the bench for instance.

Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviskw
It is just a basic non-destructive way to hide spots. I only used it where I needed it, not on the bench for instance.
Butch
Great, another approach for future reference. Thanks Butch, for walking me through that... can see where that could come in handy for quite a few things actually!

Gina
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 10:19 AM

Had a go of it!

after reading all the suggestions I moved out on my own though I did utilize a few of the suggestions... like you, I'm learning and that means study.

Thank you for the lessons shared.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 10:48 AM

Candice,
That looks great! In the end did you go with one approach in particular or did you combine techniques?

Gina
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 11:39 AM

Good Morning

And thank you. I tried the lab mode... didn't like the results. I thought about cloning out things and did in some areas. Sometimes there is no 'quick' fix as I have found. But with time and practice the results do come a bit quicker. I worked with varied levels as one suggestion said, but didn't like the fix on that so I returned to square one.

If you've not tried Ro's tutorial on "quick degrunge", it's a great tool. It helped remove the discoloration. I used a blur tool, small brush, but did not use the brush on the Ratan. This blured the red just a bit more but on the Ratan I wanted to keep the clarity.

Next, a screen layer was used to help even out colors, but you'll have to dink around with the % used because as we both know what each person sees is subjective as an artist. The last tool I used was filter called optikVerve. You can find it on the net. I absolutley love it! It can give a picture an enhanced look. Sometimes I use it to view the picture's "oops" factor. There is something within it that picks up little details missed otherwise... btw, so does the "save to web" screen. I always veiw it before posting. What a wonderful thing it is to aid in varied looks.

Good thing about these things is that control "Z" can undo all those things.

I've worked on this off and on since yesterday. Today I was content to post.

Your work is very good. People say "practice makes perfect" not so... "perfect practice makes perfect". Simply put... don't give up. You'll read many things and as you do and work, you'll find your own technique. Slowly, that is what I am doing and you will too.

God Bless and have a great day
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassylady25
The last tool I used was filter called optikVerve. You can find it on the net. I absolutley love it! It can give a picture an enhanced look. Sometimes I use it to view the picture's "oops" factor. There is something within it that picks up little details missed otherwise... btw, so does the "save to web" screen. I always veiw it before posting. What a wonderful thing it is to aid in varied looks.

Your work is very good. People say "practice makes perfect" not so... "perfect practice makes perfect". Simply put... don't give up. You'll read many things and as you do and work, you'll find your own technique. Slowly, that is what I am doing and you will too.
Hello again Candice!
Thanks for the description of your trial and error process and what you finally found to work... I think you got good results for your efforts. I did look for the filter you mentioned. It appears that it's called VirtualPhotographer by OptikVerve Labs. Unfortunately, I can't take advantage of this one as it's PC only and I'm on a Mac.
Thanks for the encouragement and feedback on my work and I love that you used that quote ("perfect practice makes perfect"), I repeat that one often myself as I've found it to be true. You have a great attitude!

Take care,
Gina
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration