RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Suggestions?

Old 04-24-2006, 11:19 PM

Newbie Suggestions?

This is a photo I've been working on. I'm happy with the results, but there's always room for improvement if anyone has any comments.

My specific question is regarding the orange-brown splotch-like stains especially noticable on the clothing (attached detail). I spent the time cloning and healing to address these, but was there another approach that might've been more efficient?

Gina
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coursey_Bef_Web.jpg (99.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Coursey_Aft_Web.jpg (96.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Coursey_Detail_Web.jpg (95.8 KB, 92 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 01:37 AM

Quick application of Polaroid Dust and Scratches filter set to remove light dust (this took only a few seconds) gets rid of a lot of the marks.

When used on the full picture you'll have to apply a layer mask and mask areas where you don't want the filter to apply, as you'll find that fine detail can be lost in areas where you don't want it to be.

Obviously you're still left with work to do after applying the filter, but it is significantly reduced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coursey_Detail_Web Filtered.jpg (85.3 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 08:02 AM

Thanks Gary. I j ust downloaded the Polaroid Dust & Scratches filter and will give it a try. Do you find this filter to be preferable to photoshop's own dust & scratches filter?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 10:36 AM

Yes, I think it has a deal more adjustability, and I use it much more than Photoshop's native D&S.

The programme download comes as a Stand Alone, and a Plug-In for Photoshop.

To install the plug-in for Photoshop, just look for the PolaDSR.8bf file in
the C:\Program Files\Polaroid \Polaroid Dust and Scratches folder, and copy it to your Filters folder in Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
Yes, I think it has a deal more adjustability, and I use it much more than Photoshop's native D&S.

The programme download comes as a Stand Alone, and a Plug-In for Photoshop.

To install the plug-in for Photoshop, just look for the PolaDSR.8bf file in
the C:\Program Files\Polaroid \Polaroid Dust and Scratches folder, and copy it to your Filters folder in Photoshop.
Actually, the install program handled all that for me. I'm on a Mac and it just gave me a list of possible plug-in folders and asked me to designate to which one I wanted the filter installed. Thanks again.

I have another photo I'm working on for which this filter could be possibly be useful. I'll post a sample of how it's going later; especially if I could use some input! The photo is covered with cracks over nearly the whole surface, but it's already blurred somewhat, so I'll have to be careful about finding that balance. Honestly, I'm not sure if it would be worth it unless I decide to forgo some quality (sharpness, such as it is) in the background and mask out the faces. Post photo soon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 03:02 PM

Stain removal

Gina,

I've seen lots if this. I think its mold. Regardless, here is how to remove stains in PS CS2.

1. Working on a copy, use Select>Color>yellow. You will get the marching ants. Close.
2. (Frquently, you get a message that "No Pixels Were 100% Selected So we cannot show the selection". Ignore it.) Create aN HSL layer. Set the layer type to Saturation. On the pop-up, slide the Saturation Slider all the way left.
3. Go to the Yellow window for the HSL layer and move its Saturation slider all the way left.
4. Create Group from Layers (your new HSL layer)
5. Cntrl-J to create additional copies of the HSL layer. Often, you'll need up to 25 layers to get it all.
5a. Close the Group and Select the Group.
6. Cntrl-Alt-Shift-E to create a roll-up of all the layers. The stains should be gone. If there's still some, repeat process.
7. Repeat as required for other colors.
8. I do this so much that I have created Actions that remove all red, blue and green stains while I'm doing other things.

I've learned to hard way that although you may have stacked up 25 or so of these selective desaturation layers, the stain may still be showing. Often though, the stain will competely disappear when you do the roll-up with cntrl-alt-shift-E.

This technique is from Photoshop Restoration and Retouching by Katrin Eismann - highly recommended.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 03:12 PM

Better way than D&S Filter

I forgot to say: These stains can be quite large spots or even cover the whole photo. Even if you only have moderate sized spots, the D&S filter parameters have to be set so severely that the entire photo is needlessly degraded. Otherwise, the Polaroid D&S is awesome.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dog
Gina,

I've seen lots if this. I think its mold. Regardless, here is how to remove stains in PS CS2.
Thanks blue dog...this looks ideal for this type of problem. Definitely going to give it a try. Thanks for taking the time to post this alternative! I really do need to get that book; looks like a great resource.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 06:40 PM

Hi There

Not sure if this is any better but you may still want to try it. I used the offset layer procedure with the layer set to darken and a mask attached.. then a small amount of noise filter.

I forgot to add... an excellent job you did...great final outcome.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coursey_Detail_Web.jpg (96.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Coursey_Detail_Web.jpg (77.0 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 04-25-2006 at 07:29 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 07:34 PM
Patron

Gina, if you are looking to get rid of the large orange splotches or at least the discolorations, here is a 20 sec fix. Change the image mode from RGB to LAB. Apply a gaussian blur of between 5 and 10 first to the B channel and then if necessary to the A channel. (You may not need to do it to A depending on the version of the image you are working on). Then convert back to RGB.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration