Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

I'm new to this

Old 05-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Hi Woodbine, yes my quick attempt probably is a little under sharp. Ran it through Neat Image to reduce some of the noise caused by working the image, with the unfortunate side effect of the slight blurring.

I agree about it being too dark, this too was done in an attempt to minimise noise.

If I'd had time I'd have burnt and dodged some of the faces a little to up contrast, and created an edge mask so I could sharpen things a little without introducing too much noise.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2006, 01:58 PM
Great Granddad

Since the photo was quite irregular in contrast I used a series of layer masks. Using levels adjustment layer, I copied the layer using overlay blending mode and I sharpened the photo some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheGreat.jpg (56.3 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Hiya Wooders,
I tend to take it bit by bit on different layers and try and get each part to look how I want it. Then I slap it all back together and try and tidy up any nasty looking bits. Probably not the right way to go about it but the only way I know how
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2006, 10:25 PM
had a quick 5 min go at this. I pretty must just always work on the one layer, which isnt so good if you make a mistake but its just the way I have always done it.
Anyways I tried to clone / heal some of the very dark patches out and then just curved and levelled like crazy. Obviously could use a bit more adjustment eg defining the back shoulders more, and theres still quite a few marks, but you get the basic idea as far as the overall levels go.
Most important thing I believe is not to take the easy way out and just pull the curves ( or levels ) down so far that you get a large amount of lost detail. Its just a matter of getting your eye in and seeing which bits you can curve down or up and then select another area, and then maybe go back again and adjust, adjust adjust etc etc etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg great_Grandad_aceman.jpg (96.2 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2006, 11:36 PM
John I liked what you had done so far so I took yours into Lab mode and sharpened the lightness channel a bit (amount 50; radius 1 ; threshold 0) then added a curves adjustment layer to darken the light areas. I painted back the areas I didn't want to darken by painting with black in the Curves adjustment mask...I usually paint with a 14% opacity brush and bring it back slowly. Finally I used a photo filter to add a hint of sepia.

Sincerely Syd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Great-Grandad.jpg (95.4 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Liked all the suggestions

Syd... thanks for the compliment, took me ages, I must have done and redone this photo a hundred times (labour of I have been having another go with the image after the result I got from Corel by making duplicate layers and lightening one and darkening another then using history brush to bring back detail (very difficult) then I've used healing brush and clone tool the get rid of a lot of the worst artifacts still left, thn toned the colour down a bit and put on more contrast, which left the guy on the left's head and others hands and collars too bright but brough out detail everywhere else so I painted over the offending highlights with a soft brush at 8% opacity. The results are below, I think I'll not get it much better.
Your comments please.....not too harsh though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg after history brush ect..jpg (99.5 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration