Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Corner Gone Suggestions Please

Old 05-13-2006, 12:05 AM

i gave this one a shot. i started from the original.

cropped first.
cloned in missing parts of corner.
clone and push to get rid of most of other tears/bends.
airbrush to clean some areas up for balance.
added a mild contrast/brightness adjustment layer
more fine work with clone, push and airbrush

and somewhere in here i desatured the image with Fast Fix. normally, i would have done this earlier, but something told me not to this time and i think it worked out better this way.

specifically, on the face, i mostly used the push tool. opacity was set around 24 to 32, depending. very small brush, anywhere from 2 to 12 or so. all done on a blank layer with 'use all layers' turned on.

to sharpen, i used the 7 band sharpen filter from AIM. i then had to clean up some of the sharpening marks with more push.

when i had things mostly how i wanted, i copy merged one last time and duplicated that and added the clarify filter to the whole image.. setting about 4. this adds contrast and thereby some definition.

hope that helps.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg small_boy_missing_corner-1-k-1c.jpg (96.0 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2006, 01:06 AM
Had a go at this tonight. The hardest part for me was the face. But i managed to get away with a few sneaky copy and pastes from undamaged areas. The grass I found on another image, pasted into, and curved and blurred it until it matched the original look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aceman_cornerfill.jpg (82.8 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by aceman; 05-13-2006 at 01:14 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2006, 01:55 AM
if I were you...

If I were you, I'd soft focus the background and add more contrast to the boy. The background is kind of distracting and doesn't really bring the boy into focus. Plus, if the background is a little blurry, the subject will tend to look more sharp in comparison. At least, that's how it appears to me from these low res pics.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Thanks to all of your fine efforts. I appreciate it so much. I learn more everytime I try to work on a photo and seek help when stuck. My problem is still a learning curve but getting there little by little. Neb

Sorry it too a bit to respond.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2006, 12:24 PM
Hi everybody,

in these cases, particularly if the background isn't of vital importance, I would do exactly what Bart did by running the pattern maker... (Filter>Pattern Maker....)

An alternative way to create a Pattern and use it to fill an empty space (the one I used here) is the following:

* Duplicated the Background and worked on the duplicate.

* Used the Healing Brush to remove some of the scratches until I had an acceptable 'patch' of background. (Attachment 1)

* Used the Marquee Tool to select part of the fixed background, and, with the selection still active, I went to Edit>Define Pattern ... Clicking OK to accept the Name suggested on the Define Pattern dialog box ... (you can always give a different name to better remember what the new Pattern is ... ) (Attachment 2)

* Selected a soft/feathered Heal Brush (Mode: Replace; changed the Source from Sampled to Pattern; checked the Sample all Layers box) (Attachment 3)

* After filling the missing parts and removing the scratches around the boy with my 'Pattern' - Heal brush, I loosely selected the boy and pressed Ctrl+J to copy my selection to a new Layer. (Attachment 4)

* Clicked on the eye icon left of the new 'boy Layer' to make it invisible, went back to my Background copy and filled it all with the 'grass' Pattern covering the boy as well ... [at this point I created a new Pattern from a picture of a plain grass field and selectively painted over the Background Copy to remove the repetitive Pattern ang give it a more natural grass 'look'] Made visible and activated the 'Boy Layer' and moved the boy at the centre of the field with the Move Tool. (Attachment 5)

Sorry...reached the 5 Attachments limit ... to be continued on my next post..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-000.jpg (23.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-001.jpg (58.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-002.jpg (32.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-003.jpg (54.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-004.jpg (44.3 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2006, 12:33 PM

* after fixing the 'boy' ... ... I created a very soft, lightly green vignette around him ... (Attachment 1)

Mine isn't a full restoration .. I simply wanted to show an alternative way for restoring pictures with this kind of problems ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_mwrightcrop.jpg (97.7 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration