RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Corner Gone Suggestions Please

Old 05-11-2006, 09:31 PM

Corner Gone Suggestions Please

Here is a photo I am working on. Did I see a tutorial on working with this problem of a big piece missing via the tear? Right now I have added a new layer and have cloned and also used the Spot healing brush on some of the big creases and tears. Want to keep the background as the true as the picture is.

I would also like to bring out the little boys feet better as well as facial features. I know you would like a bigger file but this photo is only a 2x2inch. Very small. Thanks Neb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mwrightcrop.jpg (19.9 KB, 95 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2006, 11:29 PM

hi neb,

i'd suggest first doubling the size of the image.

as for the corner, there doesnt seem to be much there based on the good areas around it, so it really doesnt matter too much what you do there. clone would be fine. i'd suggest it would be easier to simply crop around the boy and leave go all that extra space.

on the feet and face, if you do enlarge the image this shld make those areas easier to do. try contrasting tools and sharpen with contrast. that shld bring out the features more.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2006, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
it would be easier to simply crop around the boy and leave go all that extra space.

Short of finding a similar background grass texture or cloning it in. Cropping would improve the composition of the photo as well as save you some work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2006, 12:13 AM

Thank you for the help. You know I just learned how to scan it bigger craig. Just a few minutes ago as a matter of fact. So that part is done. Thank you! aceman I am going to crop it a little closer to him as well. Klassy is that a different background all together? What did you use? Or is it clone? Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2006, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the help. You know I just learned how to scan it bigger craig. Just a few minutes ago as a matter of fact. So that part is done.
good. that shld help

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2006, 06:30 AM
Patron

Filling in the corner

Double Click the background layer in Photoshop to turn it into layer 0

Use the magic wand tool and click in the upper right hand area where the white is.

Delete the white area to make is empty

Copy that layer to a new layer.

Select Layer 0, the bottom layer. Sample some of the light black from the photo and fill Layer 0 with that color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Corner-Gone.jpg (12.2 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Patron

Corner fixation

Yeah that looks good. I believe the next part of the retouch would be to crop it and increase the contrast via levels or curves
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2006, 06:16 PM

Pattern maker

Hi Neb,

Whenever you want to quickly flood a large area with a texture based on some existing texture, check out the pattern maker filter (Photoshop CS2).

Duplicate your image. Make a rectangular selection of some of the existing texture. Then run the pattern maker. It has several settings that are worth experimenting with, but the general idea is it'll flood the entire layer with that texture, except it's randomized so it doesn't look repetitive (you can also change settings to make it repetitive if you want.) You can keep rerunning it to get a different random pattern as no two ever look identical.

Now you can put your original layer on top and make the damaged areas transparent thus revealing the pattern layer, then use the heal brush around the edges as needed to clean things up. A lot less work than trying to clone such a large area.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2006, 07:04 PM

copy corner

Have you considered copying the upper left hand corner over to the missing side? Feathered selection, new layer, flip horizontal, move over.) And also copy other good or reworked sections over to the middle top. This might be an option if you want to keep the original texture.

When you clone, you can make your retouches on a duplicate layer, and then set the blending mode to darken so that it only covers the actual cracks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2006, 12:05 AM

Well this is where it is as of right now. I am stuck on the face. I personally do not like the background but they are bushes that were in the front of the house and she would like to keep it as close to original as possible. HELP with face please. Also suggestions on how to sharpen it a little would be wonderful too. Neb

PS: I croped it a little more as it is going to go into the paper for a 50th Birthday surprise..You know like the one's you put in your little local home town paper to have people figure out who it is..and say something like Guess who is now a Nifty Fifty!! We do those kind of things here in Nebraska out of shear boredom..LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stage2montecropface2.jpg (66.2 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration