Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Question: is there a way 2

Old 05-14-2006, 08:47 AM
Question: is there a way 2

Hello Everyone,
I'm sorry I haven't put these on here sooner, we had a family problem.

Here are the two photos I wanted to see if the wife and 2 girls could be removed from the first one and the heavy set man in black overalls in the second one could be put in the place of the wife. These two men are brothers and we don't have a photo of them together.

I thank everyone who answered my first post, and again I'm sorry I didn't get them on here sooner.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Uncle Mutt and Family.jpg (39.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Grandpa and friend in michigan.jpg (32.3 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2006, 10:15 AM

the quick answer is, yes, it can be done. but the long answer is, yes, but with a fair amount of difficulty.

also, there are 3 kids and a wife in the first one, not two kids. did you want the boy removed also?

i would think the way to approach this project would be to clean up each photo first. in the first one, the man's details are not very good. the people are fairly small in the image and with the current scan, quite 'jaggied' when you zoom in a bit. a higher resolution scan would help.

the next step is a bit of a question. how much of the original do you want to save? if you use the first pic as your base image there is going to be a lot of extra space that you dont really need for the composite. so, how much of the original do you want to save and do you want both men set back in the image like the first one is or do you want them to be more in the foreground? and if you use the 2nd pic as your base, how much of that one do you want to save?

so, there's some questions to be answered here first.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2006, 11:21 AM
CS2 of Wrath

I think you have a good chance to do this, if you want. The sun and shadows on the two images are close. The two images are small and working on a higher rez scan would help with the detail. I did use the pants of the one man in the pic of the two gentleman and put them on the man in front of the truck. I used the Transform tool to size them and then a Levels layr to put them at the right levels to match. A little Clone Stamp and Healing Brush and it looked pretty good. I cloned out the girl and wagon.

By the way, where is Henry Fonda, Jane Darwell and John Carradine?

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Craig and Ken,

Yes I would like to keep the boy, I figureed the way he was standing would be hard to remove him. I don't know how to do the higher resolution scan, this is all my scanner will do.

I don't need to save alot of the first pic. This is the one I wanted as a base pic. unless it will do better on the second, but the first is my first choice. Setting them back into the photo will be ok. I believe it will fuzz up if you bring them to close.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration