RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Half of a Picture

Old 05-16-2006, 12:32 PM

Half of a Picture

Hello,

Everyone done such a great job on Robert's picture I though I would see if my other brother's pic could get fixed better than I could get it.

The first is the original and the second is my attempt to fix.

As always thanks everyone.

Sharon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roy Vernon.jpg (61.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Roy Vernon 1.JPG (50.5 KB, 93 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2006, 12:50 PM

sharon,

yes, we could get it better, but that's not the point. the point is, can we get YOU to get it better i'm seeing a bit of a trend here with your postings. you're starting a number of projects/pictures, but leaving them undone and posting them here for others to work on. the point of this site is to get YOU to get them done; to help YOU become a better retoucher so that you can finish them up nicely.

now, dont get all mad at me or think i'm trying to not help here. i am. you've got a good start on this image. but apparently you're hitting a barrier of some sort, at some point in the work, and that's what i'd like to address here. what is that barrier? what are you having difficulty in doing that's keeping you from finishing these? and basically, that's all that's wrong here with the image; it's just not done yet. that's all. you seem to be going in the right direction with the work, so what's the stop on completing it? is it more a matter of observing what still needs to be done or a matter of seeing what's wrong but not knowing what to do with it to get it better?

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2006, 02:28 PM

Hi Sharon,

There's a lot to work with on your picture, so what I did was borrow from the Left Hand Side and copy and paste it to the right, then its a matter of flipping and rotating to get a fit. The rest is just lot of cloning to fill in the gaps and blend things.

Hope this gives you a hint at what can be achieved. The posted image had a lot of jpeg artifacts, with a better resolution image you should be able to improve on this greatly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roy Vernon After.jpg (95.8 KB, 74 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2006, 02:37 PM

I have to agree with Craig here Sharon...this one is more easily fixed than the other but I must also add that I am quite disappointed that you have just come along an posted another picture without even taking the time to thank those (besides myself) that helped you in your other thread.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2006, 03:28 PM

Craig,

I want to thank you for noticing that I start good. I do have trouble finishing my picture. I go as far as I can with what I have. Any help and instruction you can give is I am truly greatful for. The only options I have is Copy and Paste and the a blurring effect. I don't have any of the photoshop editions or any other ones. I downloaded as free trial of Fotofinish, but all the tools are not open to me, because it is a free trial copy. On this picture I though and tried to copy one side of the face and paste it onto the other side, but it didn't work to good. Gary's job on it looked tons better than I could get it, and I thank him. Any advise anyone can give with using limited tool to fix these photos Please send.

I always say thanks to the people that help me on my pictures. Maybe not to each one, but to everyone.

I am not asking for someone to fix my picture for free. Alot of my picture I have redone, and done a good job at it. It's when they get more difficult then I can handle or just don't look right than I have a problem and come here. The two sets at the bottom I redone. They aren't perfect but I can live with them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Betty and Brenda.jpg (69.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Betty and Brenda 3.JPG (65.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Elzora Barrons.jpg (91.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Elzora Barrons 1.JPG (41.5 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2006, 03:46 PM

I apologise if I jumped down your throat, it's just that you posted another before even acknowledging the help you had received in the other.

Anyway...I use the clone tool at about 35% and keep cloning over until it looks right and blends in well. Then I use the smudge tool at about 49% opacity to finish the blending completely. I am working on the other and will post it when I am done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2006, 03:59 PM

Ziaphra,

Thank you for working on the picture and if I offended anyone by not saying thank you enough for all the hard work than I apologize big time.

I am going back over the picture again to see if I can make it come out better to.

Thank you
Sharon
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2006, 05:05 PM

ah, now i understand i knew there had to be some barrier there, arknsawer. ok, what you need to do is go to sourceforge.net (i think this is where it is) and get 'the Gimp'. it's a funny name, but a good FREE graphic editor. and yes, there is a windows version and linux. not sure about mac. several folks on here are using it or have used it and can help you with it. it's a remarkable program for being free.

another option would be to get Gimp Shop. this is 'the Gimp' made to look more like photoshop. it's still the gimp but the interface has been re-arranged a bit.

i must also add that for just using fotofinish you've done a remarkable job. it was never meant to do the kind of work we do around here. so, well done on that but, get the Gimp and you'll be able to go forth and prosper

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2006, 05:37 PM

Hi Sharon

Like most above I used the right shoulder to replace part of the otherside. Remember to change a few shadows and also look for duplicated areas that will give away the copy. Then some cloning and healing brush to finish off.

And Sharon I like helping because I am learning as I go.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roy-Vernon.jpg (92.2 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 05-16-2006 at 05:43 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2006, 06:03 PM

Question?

With a tool that is limited isn't he going to run into the same problem of not being able to complete a photo and aren't all who work on his photo's still going to be the ones doing the completion based upon his limitation?

Hmmmm
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration