Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

dirty fingerprint?

Old 05-19-2006, 12:53 AM
volvo and anna,

'push' is a tool in paint shop pro. the equivalent in ps, i'm told, would be a very heavy smudge. you're simply sort of setting the brush in a spot and pushing that color/shade around until you let up. the main difference between push and smudge is that push keeps the same paint color as you go where smudge tends to fade out in a short bit. so, push is very handy for painting things like edges. you set the brush on the edge, hit the shift key, and put your brush further along the line and then click again. this will drag the color you first set completely along that line to where you clicked again. at a low opacity it's very handy for very fine work, using very short strokes.

and anna, smudge is just what it sounds like, smudge. you sort of mush the pixels around as if you were finger painting...sort of

airbrushing is also pretty close to the real airbrushing. you know, those little air pistol things that shoot out a spray of paint and give a sort of speckled look at times. they used to be used a lot for painting onto t-shirts and things.

and the reason the fingerprint or whatever it is doesnt show on the girl's head is because of the darkness of her hair along there. the values of hair along there range from 0 to about 21 or so, essentially hiding/erasing the texture or print...or whatever it is. but it's moot anyways. it's garbage whatever caused it.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2006, 06:22 AM
craig and phil

Thanks for those explanations. I got into my Photoshop book and found smudge. I'm glad to know 'push' is associated with Paint Shop. I'm probably going to try several ways of cleaning this up and see what comes out the best. You all may be my judge. I've still got to read up on airbrushing.

That was a good exercise in masking and I was able to do that with no problem. But I don't know how to take that simple exercise and apply it to working with a photo. After doing it, I went back to your directions of how your achieved your results and attempted to follow that same path but crashed. This is what makes it hard about trying to learn something without an instructor present. This is what I did. I copied my image. Then I hit mask using the mask button in the pallet. Then Edit> Fill> Foreground color Black. But nothing happens. ??? Even though the mask didn't fill with black I continued to try to keep going with the rest of the steps but nothing happened. I'm sure there's probably something very simple I'm missing but it's not happening for me. Thanks so much for your help.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2006, 03:34 AM

Well I don't know what to say except your right having an instructor present would help. Why don't you try this. New file, default photoshop size and fill the background layer with red. New Layer and fill that layer (layer 1) with green. Now you should see nothing but green. Now while holding the alt key Windows or the option Key Mac, click the layer mask button.

The mask should appear and it should be filled with black. Since Layer one is completely hidden all you should see is red. Paint on the back mask with white color and the green in layer 1 will start to become visible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Masking.jpg (15.6 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2006, 04:40 PM

I'm going to have to come back to that. I'll show you what I've accomplished with the techniques that I do know how to use............ which I guess is just the simple stuff. Next I want to clean up the face and see if I can bring out the features on the right side of the face that are washed out and overexposed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aunt-Jo1.jpg (12.8 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration