RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

dirty fingerprint?

Old 05-17-2006, 01:00 AM

dirty fingerprint?

Does this look like a dirty fingerprint in the background of this picture? How should I approach cleaning this off? Thanks. Sylvia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aunt-Jo.jpg (17.3 KB, 147 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2006, 01:31 AM

hi sylvia,

havent seen you around for a while. welcome back

and yes, it does look like a print. clone, push, smudge, airbrush, or even extracting the person from the background shld work. you might could even do it with a flood fill if you got the settings right.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2006, 06:33 AM

Hi Sylvia, welcome back.

Are you asking how to get rid of it in Photoshop, or are you asking how to clean the fingerprint off the original?

If the latter, I think we'd need to know what kind of print it is, what kind of paper, how old, and just about anything else you can tell us about it. (Don't know anything about this kind of work myself, but this is the sort of info that's usually asked for by those who do).
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2006, 08:43 AM
Patron

FingerPrint

Hey it would be nice if you could remove the fingerprint before it was scanned. The good news is that the print is on a non-important part of the picture so I copied the layer and used median blur on the copied layer. On that layer I used a layer mask filled with black and then painted the mask with white where the fingerprints where.

I then ran neat image on the photo to clean up the rest of the image

Finally I copied that layer and sharpened it using smart sharpen and again added a mask and painted the mask so that only the eyes and nose were sharpened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fingerprint.jpg (15.5 KB, 76 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2006, 10:39 PM

G'day Craig, mate could i impose and ask whats meant by the term "Push" as i am a nivic ehere also..
Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2006, 02:00 AM

It's not a fingerprint.

The texture doesn't travel onto the girl. If it was a fingerprint then the person applying the fingerprint has only left their prints on the wall behind the girl. She would therefore have to be in front of the person with the thumb, if it were a fingerprint. That would be a cool trick, and he'd have to have a giant thumb.

It looks like the texture of the wall.

M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aunt-Jo copy.jpg (70.1 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2006, 02:07 AM

He'd only need a giant thumb if it was a large picture, if it were a small picture enlarged for the post, then a normal thumb would do the job.

But agree with you about it not showing on the girl's face, could indeed be wall texture, but it sure looks like a finger print.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2006, 04:06 AM

Thank you everyone

Thank you everyone. I have missed the board. Other things have been pulling me away but I've decided I've really need to make time for this since it's something I love and really want to learn. However, as usual almost everything that's been said is over my head. I'm so in prekindergarten with this. I am working with Photoshop 7 and I am trying to clean up the image digitally, not physically. Craig, I've got to get my books and read up on 'Push, Smudge, and Airbrush". Phil, I love the results you produced but everything you did went right over my head. I'm very frustrated trying to learn the concept of masking. Reading about masking isn't getting through to me. I need some hands-on assistance and thus far I haven't found it in my area. The debate over whether it's a fingerprint or not is interesting. When I look at this .tif image in Photoshop, most of that side of the photo has a lot of what looks like dirty fingerprints while the other side and background look normal like what a photo and background should look like so I'm thinking it's many dirty fingerprints. Either way, I've got to get it cleaned up and in order to do that, I've got to get the skills to be able to do that. Thanks everyone. Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2006, 05:31 AM
Patron

Levels, Masks, adjustment layers

Well you aren't alone in trying to understand these concepts. Katrin Eisman's Book "Restoration & Retouching; vol 3; page 70" makes some comments about masking and adjustment layers. Maybe this will help.

Using Photoshop make a new file by using file/new
Select the preset "Default Photoshop Size" Name the file Mask [picture 1]

Select a nice red color and fill the background layer with red. You can use the swatches palette or the color picker to make that your foreground color. Under the Edit/Fill Menu select Fill with foreground color. Now the background layer should be red [picture 2].

Click on the new layer icon at the bottom of the layers palette (1.)
Name the Layer Lime Layer
Fill the lime layer with a green color
Add a layer mask to the Lime Layer (2.)--[picture 3]

Notice that the mask icon has a thick frame which means its selected. That means that when you paint on the lime layer you will be painting the mask not on the lime color. Also notice that the foreground color is now white and the background color is black. [picture 3a]. What you paint on the mask controls what part of the layer is shown. The mask is filled with white so all of the layer is visible. So select black as the foreground color. Select a brush. Now paint on the lime layer (your painting the mask) with your black brush. What is painted black on the mask hides the layer. Since the part of the mask that is black hides that part of the lime layer, the bottom red layer shows through. [picture 4]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture-1.jpg (25.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Picture-2.jpg (10.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Picture-3.jpg (22.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Picture-3a.jpg (23.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Picture-4.jpg (27.1 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by philbach; 05-18-2006 at 05:38 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2006, 08:02 PM

It's wall texture.

This is not a fingerprint.

The clue is the edges of girl against bg, has nothing to do with her face. It's her hair and garment vs. wall, esp on left side of pic.

M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stucco.jpg (74.2 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration