RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Help Removing Yellow Marks

Old 05-30-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart_hickman
The physical photo is made up of Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow pigments. Damage or degradation to the yellow pigment shows up as damage to the blue channel. Too much yellow will look like too little blue and vice versa. The yellow pigment was probably more volatile or more sensitive to some spill or other event in the photo's history.
Bart
hello bart_hickman, are you sure that also is the case if the image is old fashionably created from film in a photolab like the image above, and not only by using an inkjet printer that uses the CMYK you mentioned? what also confuses me is that the "damage" in the blue channel looks so weird, like the dust and scratches you find on very old images (in all channels). btw, thanks for answering
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2006, 06:11 PM

Im no pro when it comes to this, but I thought I would add my 2 cents hehe. I messed with the curves and levels a little but I also found the colour replace tool to be quite usefull.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg momanddad1.jpg (38.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg momanddadbeforeandafter.jpg (67.4 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limaze
hello bart_hickman, are you sure that also is the case if the image is old fashionably created from film in a photolab like the image above, and not only by using an inkjet printer that uses the CMYK you mentioned? what also confuses me is that the "damage" in the blue channel looks so weird, like the dust and scratches you find on very old images (in all channels). btw, thanks for answering
Yes, even the old fashioned prints from drug store are made from those primary colors. I'm sure these pigments don't all react the same to sunlight or moisture, so fading and damage is often concentrated in one channel. I think even artists work with primary colors in paints.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2006, 07:41 AM

Hi,

Brian,

welcome to RP!

Eliminating or replacing a channel is my very last resort ... if possible, I always try to salvage it... Like Bart, I used the Channel Mixer to that purpose ...
A Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer on top of the Channel Mixer Layer gave me an acceptable result and I still had the details contained in the 'Blue Channel' ... (Attachment 2)

After that it depends on how much or how little you want to do to finish your restoration...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Mom_Dad.jpg (99.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-016.jpg (49.9 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Flora; 06-01-2006 at 07:52 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration