Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

sepia or not?

Old 06-30-2006, 10:52 PM
sepia or not?

I am working on this photo and wanted to get your opinion on sepia tones. Do you add them back in ever? I know that some say that they never existed and everything was grey scale however I do find that some people like the slight tone.

What are you thoughts? Also, any comments on the restoration?

At 100K it is hard to get the real details. So here is a popup FREE link for the larger (400K) versions.

Some Sepia

No Sepia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (94.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 2-.jpg (72.0 KB, 77 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2006, 12:40 AM
What a lovely photo, Fazools!

My personal preference when restoring old photos, I want a slight tone to it, such as the one you did. It gives a nostalgic feel to the photo.

As for your restoration, my only comment was the uneven tone on the boy's cheek. Other than that, the sharpness and contrast are excellent.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2006, 02:25 AM

I agree with soleah in everything ... but the contrast ... I've 'lifted' the shadows ever so lightly to better show the details contained in them ... But this is only my personal taste...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_larger-2.jpg (98.5 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Not sure how..

I am not sure how or where EXACTLY to even out the tone with this boy. I watched all the tutorials I have, thought about how the light would hit, but when I try to fix it, the cheek comes out odd looking. could someone use a color or something to show my where I should have his face shaded and how to do it without the cheek looking odd.

Sorry to ask, I am just at a loss.

Thanks a million.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2006, 03:36 PM
The sepia look is truely a personal decision based on your taste and style. There is no right or wrong in my opinion. I dig the sepia look on old photos. Granted it didn't start out that way, but I think it adds to the nostalgia feel of the photo as long as it's not over done and doesn't feel like a bad cast as opposed to gracefully aged hierloom. (if that makes any sense). lol.

The photo you have there is really in great shape. Luckily you not having to retouch or rebuild and ear or nose from pocket wear or phantom stains. Looking forward to seeing your results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2006, 04:09 PM
I think traditional sepia toning of black and white prints was mostly used as an extra measure to preserve a printed image although I have often used it (talking darkroom here... not desktop) to soften high contrast resulting from hard filters, to even out tones in multigrade paper, to tone down graininess.
Are you doing this restoration for someone else? If so, let them decide. If not I reckon go with the sepia, btw I think it looks great... perfect tone there, you've nailed it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2006, 05:22 PM

This is actually for myself. Practice, I bought this pic at a Texas Flea market for 50 cents. =]

Kinda liked how the kids looked posessed.

I still cannot figure out that tone on the face though. Where the highlights should be on the boy.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration