Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Real Quick Ask for Help

Old 07-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Real Quick Ask for Help

First off I just stumbled on this great community, and I love it so far... Im a NOOB in photoshop so figured I would ask you experts..

Okay here is the pic can you guys maybe take the skin glare off and red eyes also maybe even deuce it up a bit more. Only to the guy in the picture not the girl she looks fine..HEHE I would appreciate it greatly,

Link To PIC

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Welcome to RP! You have a good handle on what the image needs. There are about a dozen ways to remove the red eye. You can use the red eye removal tool in CS2 or just select the red are and desaturate. I used the channel mixer to maintain some color instead of leaving a black hole.
For the glare, you can use the Clone Stamp tool at reduced opacity or you can just select an adjacent skin color and paint over the blown out areas with a soft brush at reduced opacity and in color mode. I added a little contrast - you can use a Levels or Curve adjustment. Finally a very small amount of sharpening seemed in order.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CBMALY Rev MM.jpg (97.2 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2006, 11:58 PM
Hi there

Like Murray I did not use the the red eye tool but just copied the green channel eye into the red. Did even the skin just a little and also reduced the glare with a clone brush set to darken and 30 percent opacity. I didn't sharpen but seeing Murray's excellent job I should have,

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picturemaly005.jpg (97.6 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 07-02-2006 at 06:27 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2006, 12:53 AM
Like Murray said, there are plenty of red-eye removal options--I just used the red-eye removal tool in CS2 for the eyes.

For face glare, created a duplicate layer with Gaussian blur of about radius 3 and masked it black then painted with a soft white brush on the shiny places on their skin.

Then used a couple of curve adjust layers and a color blend layer with radial masks to remove the flash glare on the left cabinet which seemed sort of distracting to me. These three layers are, in turn, in a group layer that has yet another mask to attenuate glare correction on the bevelling of the cabinet.

Finished up with a levels layer. Using set white and black points I neutralized based on the white appliance in the lower right and the black picture frame in the upper right. Still thought it looked too warm, so I added a cooling photo filter at 15% density.

Little update:
Decided it looked flat, so did unsharp mask radius 16/strength 25 to clarify it a bit.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fix_flash_redeye_couple_cupboards.jpg (80.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg glare_layers.jpg (25.1 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by bart_hickman; 07-02-2006 at 01:00 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2006, 10:08 AM
WOW amazing work guys thanks so much for the help and the tips...You guys are what make this place great..Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration