Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Newbie - Need alot of help with this picture

Old 07-28-2006, 01:37 PM
Hi Madelene

Gary and I did this slightly differently.
Gary repaired the red channel (in the channels) and then has gone back to working on the picture in the layers.

I copied the red channel out to a layer. I repaired it using a lightened green copy (but cloning would work as well)
Once the red layer was repaired I set the blending mode to luminocity
From there I think our methods are similar.

There are several ways to copy the red channel out to a layer. Here is one way.
1) Duplicate the background
2) Add a channel mixer adjustment layer
3) Slide the red slider to 100
4) Check the monochrome box
5) Click OK
6) Select all > Copy merged > Paste

That’s it the red channel is now in the layers palette.

Sorry if my method is not described very well and I can’t find a tutorial. Hopefully someone may be able to point you to a tutorial or explain the method better than I did.

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Hi Madelene,

Just to clarify a point, I did not work on a copy of the red channel. As Ken rightly said, I worked directly on the red channel.

This would not normally be the way I'd do it, but time was short so I cut a few corners. Sorry if this has caused any confusion.

Just like to commend everyone's efforts on this one, some really nice work, just what I'd expect from you guys.

I guess I really need to lighten up the face on mine, but I'll let it stand as a reminder not to rush a job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2006, 02:47 PM

Thanks for all of the input, I reread and I think I understand the steps although I have not tried out yet (I'm still at work). So I'll give it a go when I get home tonight.

This is a great website, was not aware that it was here, I've learned more in one day than the whole 6 months I've had CS2!

Anyway, thanks again, I'll let everyone know how I did and post my "after", I hope it meets with everyone's approval!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Hi Madelene

I found a tutorial here

The one called
“BEST BET (usually): Photoshop's Channel Mixer Adjustment Layer”

There is another method described called
“Pick a Color Channel, Any Color Channel”

It describes another way to get the channel out to a layer

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Well I thought I knew what to do, I have done the following:
Made color correction (removed color cast)
Created channel mixer as suggested by Ken and that's where I'm stuck, I have a b/w picture now but when I try to clone and check my work, the colors are wrong (end up with blue wherever I touch up). Ken says he repaired the red channel with lightened green channel, what does he mean by this? Are you going back to channel and working in green?

I'm lost, I know how frustrating this is to everyone, but I need more help...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Madelene - I have the same difficulty with replacing/reparing/mixing channels. Have tried several tut's can't seen to grasp what's going on.

I used levels and Hue/Sat/Lightness to repair your photo. Careful cloning for most defects except camera left side of face and ear. I copied a section from the opposite side and blended over the ear/face defects.

Cameraken - Thanks for the links. I'll try the tut's you referenced this week end. Maybe it will sink in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moody0007-copy_fixed.jpg (87.5 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by duwayne; 07-28-2006 at 09:50 PM. Reason: posted wrong file
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2006, 11:03 PM
Madelene, Ken may be (but don't quote me on this) refering to the drop down layer blending mode 'lighten' at the top of your layers palette. A few things you could check: hide your channel mixer layer, make sure that your main working image layer is active when you go to paste your repaired channels from your layers palette back to the channels palette and that all your channels are visible. I often forget the little things like hope I am on the right track, I went quickly through the steps with channel repairs and took a screen shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scrnshot1.jpg (96.8 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2006, 12:42 AM

thank you so much for your kindness!!

Originally Posted by Daviskw
Flora and ken...... I did not think of adding eyes to the picture... I did not find them in the original.....
.... I did not 'add' eyes to the picture ... I simply uncovered and enhanced what was already there ...

Zooming in on the original, you can already 'make out' the eyes covered by the shadow (Attachment 1)

Still in deep shadow, the eyes are much more visible after my first overall brightening up and colour correcting layer ... (Attachment 2)

After selectively 'lifting' the shadow around the eyes, you can clearly see the 'wrinkles', the eyewhites, and a hint of the 'original' catchlights ... (Attachment 3)

Final result after bringing out and enhancing the eyes... (Attachment 4)

Mind you, in my full restoration, after the final boost to contrast and sharpness, and after compressing the image for posting, the eyes look a bit too 'strong' compared to the rest of the image, so they might seem 'added' ... I'd noticed that after posting, but was in a hurry and didn't correct ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-091.jpg (35.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-092.jpg (41.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-093.jpg (42.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-094.jpg (42.6 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2006, 06:59 AM
Great EYE for detail Flora... I could have looked at that for a year and never seen the detail. It is truly amazing what you manage to bring out of seemingly nothing. Sure enough when you showed me what to look for... there it was..

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2006, 08:13 AM

Glad to know that I am not alone in my confusion...

You mentioned you copied and pasted areas of the ear, are you flipping the ear? If so how is this accomplished? This reminded me of a conversation I had with a fellow co-worker, we think there is a way to flip an image LR / RL but we murked around for awhile looking at the different options in cs2 and never figured it out....

In your screen shot I see the channel mixer then separate layers for red and greeen, isn't that what the channer mixer is for? How did you get the red and green channel over to layers? Or rather why would you do this? And how you would get them back to channel?

If I can ever get past the channel mixer I will try your techniques...

My apologies, I think once I get this, you will be able to see the light from all over, it will be a beacon!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration