RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Newbie - Need alot of help with this picture

Old 07-29-2006, 03:02 PM

Madelene -
I use CS1 but should be the same as CS2. Select a section of the good ear and paste to a new layer. Then EDIT -> TRAMSFORM -> FLIP_HORIZONTAL. I then reduced the opacity of the new layer to about 50% so I could "see through" it. Then EDIT-> FREE_TRANSFORM to position over the bad ear and reshape as required. Cursor outside the corners allows rotation of selection. Used a soft eraser to remove excess selection.

I had part is matching the color and tone since the light is coming from the opposite side. I used HUE/SATURATION/LIGHTNESS to do this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2006, 03:22 PM

Hi Madelene

Quote:
I repaired it using a lightened green copy
What I did was copy the red And the green channels out to layers
I added a hide all black mask to the green channel and then painted back the damaged areas. As the green channel is darker than the red channel I clipped a levels adjustment to the green channel to lighten it. In the attachment you will see I did this twice.

As you can see there are many ways to achieve the same thing. It is just a case of finding a method you prefer.
Flora’s method is also excellent, with an excellent result and gives a little more detail, especially in the jacket.

Channels and Layers.

I understand how difficult all this can be.

Another good tutorial is Russell Browns digital stain remover. A pdf file available here.
http://www.vanwijk.com/.../Adobe%20P...r/rbstains.pdf

Hope this helps.

Ken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_Mood_Layers.jpg (99.5 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 06:02 AM
Patron

The channel mixer affects the channels in your channel palette directly and I used it to isolate and copy each seperate channel to it's own layer in the layers palette as Ken described:
Quote:
There are several ways to copy the red channel out to a layer. Here is one way.
1) Duplicate the background
2) Add a channel mixer adjustment layer
3) Slide the red slider to 100
4) Check the monochrome box
5) Click OK
6) Select all > Copy merged > Paste

That’s it the red channel is now in the layers palette.
So now you have a monochrome copy of the channel/s in your layers palette to work on more easily whilst leaving your originals untouched.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 09:37 AM

Hi everybody ...

I'll probably be sent to the dog-house for this ... but I simply can't help it ...
Madelene, a new RP member, starts a Thread with the word "newbie" ... explains clearly how 'newbie' she is ... makes clear points of what she wishes to achieve, posts a good size picture, finally, asks very politely that we walk her through holding her hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelene
...I have been using CS2 for approx. 6 months, I know a little about cloning, layers, saturation levels, etc. I guess the basics, but not much more. ..... most importantly, she wants to be able to see his eyes. When I attempt this I end up making the problems worse than the original, I have been primarily cloning (doing what I know).
What I would like is:
1: How to clean up the image
2. Restore the colors (or improve)
3. How do I eliminate the orange / dark spots?
4. How can I bring the eyes out?
Last but not least, instructions on how to accomplish this, please keep in mind that my CS2 powers are almost non existent so, walking me through this by holding my hand would be most appreciated!
... Well here is a quick reminder of how we all did exactly that, after flashing several times the result she's aiming to under her nose: (in her place, I would have probably started sobbing quietly .... to finish like this )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
......Using red channel, I roughly cloned out the red stained areas, being careful of the areas on the man's face.
Back to RGB channel.....

....Just to clarify a point, I did not work on a copy of the red channel. As Ken rightly said, I worked directly on the red channel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviskw
I pretty well used Gary's techniques but lightened the picture a bit more. This produced a lot of noise in the dark areas of the eyes. I used some of Flora's techniques in using lighten and darken layers to even out some color and noise.....

......I used the red channel to select the areas I wanted to change with a good feather then changed to the green channel and copied to the clipboard. Then i returned to the red channel and pasted. I used a levels adjustment to match the tone. Then a little touch up from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
on my way out right now... but if you are interested I'll post the details later ...

....After selectively 'lifting' the shadow around the eyes....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken
.....I repaired the red channel using the green channel and used this as the luminocity.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by duwayne
I used levels and Hue/Sat/Lightness to repair your photo. Careful cloning for most defects except camera left side of face and ear. I copied a section from the opposite side and blended over the ear/face defects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoo
The channel mixer affects the channels in your channel palette directly and I used it to isolate and copy each seperate channel to it's own layer in the layers palette as Ken described:......

.........So now you have a monochrome copy of the channel/s in your layers palette to work on more easily whilst leaving your originals untouched.

We are all willing to help ... but did we really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelene
Glad to know that I am not alone in my confusion...

If I can ever get past the channel mixer I will try your techniques...
...just like giving a Ferrari to someone who has just passed a driving test .... ( couldn't resist that!!! )
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 09:40 AM

Madelene,

... here comes one of if not the very first step I've learned when balancing shadows and highlights and trying to adjust colours (minimize a colour cast) ... I'm still using it today as one of the easiest step of immediate, magic effects .. I only use more complex procedures if this doesn't give me satisfying results ...... Believe it or not, I think this is exactly how most of us started ....
  • Open your image, click on the 'Create a new fill or Adjustment Layer' button at the bottom of your Layers' Palette and in the cascading Menu click on Levels. (Attachment1)

• The Levels dialog box will open and a new Layer will be automatically added on top of your Background. (Attachment2)

• Working on the 'composite' RGB, to lift the shadow and therefore starting seeing if and what details may be hidden in them, I simply moved the middle slider to the Left ... (Attachment3)

Amazing isn't it? ... You start seeing details of the previously much too dark jacket, but, most important, you start seeing his eyes!!! But don't click OK yet ... Just one more thing to do with your Levels ...

• Now, click on the middle one (Set Grey Point) of the Three Color Pickers just above the word 'Preview' and place it on a spot of your image you know should be grey and simply click on that spot ... (I chose a shadowy part of his 'surely' white shirt) (Attachment4)

...Wow, look at that! ... Attachment5 is the immediate result of this single Adjustment Layer ... Exposure and colour corrections in one go! .... Of course there is still a lot to do, but, after this start, you can actually see what you are doing ....

I've reached the maximum of 5 attachments per post, but, for for removing the remaining reddish spots close to the gentleman's right ear, before you start cloning, copying, pasting and flipping ... wich could lead to other kind of problems... try the following:
  • Click on the 'Create a New Layer' button at the bottom of your Layers' Palette. (a new blank Layer will be added on top of your Levels Layer)

• working on this new layer, click on the down arrow on the right of the word 'Normal' and, in the cascading Menu, click on 'Color'

• choose a fuzzy brush (decrease the Brush's Opacity to 60%),
    • place the brush over a spot of 'good' colour close to the reddish spot you want to eliminate,
    • Keeping the ALT key pressed, (the brush will turn into a Color Picker') click on the good colour to sample it ...
    • Release the Alt Key (the Color Picker will turn back into a Brush (reminds me of Ciderella .... )
    • start painting over the discolorations ... (if necessary, release the mouse button and press it again to give another hand of 'paint/colour') ... sampling surrounding skin tones, do the same on the ear and the discolored, lighter part of his right eye ...
('Blank Layer set to ...' technique described in this Tutorial)

..Now, if necessary, you can start cloning to simply finish your restoration ....

...P.S. ... Took me ages to write it down ... not even 5 minutes for the whole procedure in PS ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-100.jpg (44.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-101.jpg (74.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-102.jpg (87.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-103.jpg (96.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-104.jpg (66.6 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Flora; 07-30-2006 at 09:58 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:
...just like giving a Ferrari to someone who has just passed a driving test ....
You make a good point Flora, and my apologies to Madelene for not reading her post closely enough, and giving instructions which were beyond her comfort zone.

In my defence, I was a bit pushed for time when I worked on her picture, and didn't have the leisure to write a close detailed tutorial for her to follow.

Perhaps in this case I shouldn't have responded, but I at least wanted to show her that her picture was recoverable.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Patron

Flora bakes a good Humble Pie... and I'm gonna have me a hefty slice!

Thanks for the reality check Flora
LOL...I've got this mental image now that in our eager rush to help out we've unintentionally trampled poor Madelene underfoot!
Madelene, my sincerest apologies *big hug* I hope you are not completely overwhelmed and are making some good progress with your image This is your thread, so as long as you need help keep a-postin'!
Cheers for now
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 07:47 PM

Well Said, Flora and Littlecoo.

I was Very aware of that as well

But

I have also seen posts where there have been posted excellent detailed methods and the original poster has not come back.

For that reason I see nothing wrong with posting a ‘quick’ explanation first and then answering more questions later.

My teaching skills are not perfect and that is why I try to link to other tutorials.
Here is one on levels adjustment.
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=50

Great explanation Flora. Its very easy to forget how hard these steps can be to a newcomer. Thanks for reminding us. (But if you have a spare Ferrari )

Madelene.
I hope we have not scared you away. Just ask if you don’t understand anything.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2006, 10:20 AM

Thanks Flora, Ken, Littlecoo and Gary (and anybody I forgot), I was imtimidated to say the least when, I sat at my desk Sat. morning determined to make this "work or else". About 2 hours later I must admit CS2 got the best of me and my patience and I simply gave up. I nursed my Photoshop wounds by getting in my car and going to the mall. I was not able to check this post yesterday as I have satellite internet and we had pretty bad storms throughout the day.
Today is a new day and I am energized and hopeful that I can conquer this picture. So I will have another go and let everyone know how far I got.

You have all been great and quite patient with me, I have taken a class in Photoshop and I think I'm at the novice level right now, channel mixers, curves, and such, I'm familiar with the terms but tend to get overwelmed pretty easily, I'm thankful that I found this resource and I can ask people who are extremely knowledgable in this stuff.....thanks!

Well, let me open up Photoshop and start plugging away....wish me luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2006, 10:43 AM

Good luck Madelene.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration