RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Tough image... for me.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:12 AM

imann,

i think palomino stated my sentiments perfectly when i first looked at your fixed image:
Quote:
It is always nice to get is as "perfect" as possible, but what you have already done so far would make the owner of the photo happy and is probably well beyond what they thought could be salvaged from it.
and that's what i thought when i first looked at this and "why is he posting this as a help with restoration thread? and why is he upbraiding himself so much here; he's done a good job?"

it's always a bit of a trick trying to reach 'perfection'. trust me, it doesnt exist except as an impossible standard in our own minds. notice my sig: 'the only absolute is that there are no absolutes'. 'perfection' is an absolute. 'good' is achievable. 'great' and 'excellent' are desired. i think you're somewhere just short of 'great', but above 'good' on this one. 80% of your potential clients are going to be quite happy with 'good' and that other 20% are the difficult ones that are never happy with anything

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2006, 10:21 AM

Craig,
Like most people I'm tougher on myself than on others. Much tougher. I also see what many of the more experienced people on this board do and automatically think that whatever I do will fall short of that.

That having been said, I very much agree with what you have said. I suppose that what I want is not perfection, but the best that is reasonably available. If I am missing a method that would better achieve what I am trying to fix then I want to know about it. I understand that perfection cant be achieved but wanting to get it done the best way is another issue.

I am quite surprised at the generally good things that people have said about what I have done with this mess so far. I really wasn't expecting it. It had a lot to do with how much difficulty I was having on some of the areas. Based on what I have done and the response, it makes me feel really good. Getting the approval from people like you and vikki and flora is important to me because I respect their/your work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2006, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I suppose that what I want is not perfection, but the best that is reasonably available.
and that's a good goal.

Quote:
I am quite surprised at the generally good things that people have said about what I have done with this mess so far.
here's a little exercise you can do. take your original picture and put your posted picture over it as a new layer. then simply turn the worked on piece layer on and off and simply look. do this fairly quickly and look for what is right about your work. forget what is wrong, just look for what you did right. and then grant yourself a little admiration

another little thing you can do is print the finished image. a 3 x 5 or 4 x 6 is fine. put it somewhere a couple feet away from you. now, turn it upside down and just look at it. then decide if it's done or not done. then go from there with whatever is appropriate.

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration