RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Tough image... for me.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:08 AM

Tough image... for me.

This was quite a tough image for me. I have a tough time knowing where that line is of retaining original texture and blurring too much. I paid close attention to that in this one but still don't think I got it right. I was looking to see what some of you would do with such an image. It's got bad stain damage and that finger print in the bottom right was difficult. I ended up using the patch tool for the entire door. Anyways, I know this is far from perfect or even good so I didn't want to put it in the critique forum and get blasted for it but I will take some criticism or helpful advice though. I am interested to see what you would do with the same image. I tried many many different ways with it and this is where I got.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original.jpg (97.8 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg OF_Retouched.jpg (99.7 KB, 158 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2006, 06:12 AM

I think you're doing an excellent job so far.
The contrast is just a tiny bit strong (noticed in her hair).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2006, 12:10 PM

Vikki,

Thanks for the reply. Would you be kind enough to mention areas you think still need more work? I tend to miss the obvious from time to time. There will be areas that I am aware of but others that I may not be noticing.

I did notice the high contrast after I printed it out myself but it's good to hear that anyways.

What do you think about what I did with the door? I used the patch tool to fix it but am not quite sure if it was the best way to go about it. It was so messed up in the original that I really just took a guess at it. I've never worked on an image this messed up before.

Finally, what do you think about the light splotch above the tv? I was having difficulty removing that properly. I ended up using an overlay gray layer to darken it. I did this with the other lighter stained areas of the image like the top of the picture and her face. I know I could have used the dodge and blur tool but I don't like using "work in progress" layers as it limits my ability to alter layers lower in the layer palette if I change my mind about them later.

Thanks a bunch once again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2006, 01:58 PM

like vikki, i think it's a pretty good job also. only thing i really noticed was a bit of cloning marks on the background panels. other than that i was quite impressed.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2006, 03:48 PM

Looking at the size posted, the door looks OK to me.
There are quite a few light/dark blotches in the image, and I assume this is work still in progress.
I would use a layer filled with gray, and set to 50% soft light, to paint the blotches. I recommend a seperate layer to lighten, and then another to darken (adjusting brush opacity as needed). Additionally, a layer mask can be used to fine tune these layers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2006, 07:00 PM

Fix for TV screen

Here's a quick fix for the TV screen. I used the polygon tool to select the screen. Copy and paste to a new levels layer. Slide the grey slider towards tthe black untilyou get a consistent color. Then select the output High slider and adjust to the depth of grey that you want. Mine still needs a touch up pass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OF_Retouched_reply.jpg (98.9 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2006, 07:04 PM

Craig: Thanks a lot. Appreciate the compliment. What you are noticing is the difficulty I had at getting everything the same tone. It is rather obvious where I was working.

Vikki: Thanks for the little tips. These are all things that I know but when I'm confronted with an image that is giving me trouble, I often forget some of the more simple methods of going about things. For instance, if I was willing to use an overlay gray layer, why didn't I try soft light as well? Stupid stuff like that. Separating light and dark corrections is also a great thing to do but again, I wasn't thinking. I haven't established a base workflow for myself which is probably 75% of the cause of this. Granted every image will need different methods or approaches but all images of a certain type will need to have certain things done and then a whole list of things to automatically consider.

I hope to hear from others here and then will most likely start from the beginning so that it will be a bit more organized and layered properly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2006, 10:01 PM

I agree with the previous posters comments, especially Vikki....but I think overall it looks good. Keep in mind when doing restorations like this for people that the main thing they will look at is the person (or people) in the image....so the background is just that...background. It is always nice to get is as "perfect" as possible, but what you have already done so far would make the owner of the photo happy and is probably well beyond what they thought could be salvaged from it. I never hesitate to borrow parts from another photo in these restoration jobs either...You could even borrow a door or some wood grain from another photo. I have used hair, skin, etc to fill in the parts of an image that are just too far gone (moldy, torn, blown out).

Good luck! and nice looking work so far.

-Kate
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2006, 11:48 PM

Palomino,
Thankfully, this is just being done for practice. It's a photo of a friend of my mothers. I must say that room looked much better years later when I was sitting in it. LOL

I understand that the most important area is the individual and was actually trying to take that into consideration when I did it although it may not be apparent in what I ended up with. I know I gave one try where I had the background blurred more heavily but then took it out.

I strongly considered bringing in things from other images or, more specifically, some wood grain that I have for the door but didn't do it. I had this fear of the cut and paste look.

The main thing that bothers me in the girl is the shirt she's wearing. Can't seem to get any definition in it at all.

Blue Dog,
Thanks for the tip however I think that it looks a bit painted in. I think that at least some of that is reflection that should be there if not all of it. Most of it is damage.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2006, 01:18 AM

yeah-- the shirt is a bummer...it looks blown out in the orig. too. Not much can be done to bring back detail that doesn't exist. I agree about the TV-- it has to have some kind of reflection in it.

-K
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration