RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

OPR Restoration - Navy

Old 08-10-2006, 06:14 PM

OPR Restoration - Navy

For all things there is a beginning. This is the start of another restoration.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2006, 12:58 AM

my goodness, girl, you are masochistic. i love it

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2006, 03:03 AM

You really do find em Candy, good luck with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2006, 02:58 AM

This is a real hard one, Good job.

There are some changes to the shape of the face, so I hope you don't mind some suggestions. In the original photo he is lit from the side some. in the retouch he is flat, lit from the front with no highlights. Also, I think the shape of his jaw on our right side is too low, but I can't say for sure without working on the image ...

There is a tendency in a restoration this extensive to focus on the damage instead of the good areas ... keep the original image in the background layer so you can judge the art work 'as you go' ... then turn on and off the art work layers ... while doing this, instead of focusing your attention on the damaged areas focus you the areas that are good to see if they change. In this case I think the culprit is in the changing of the highlights and shadows.

Another hint is that as you are retouching, even if you have to get into a real tiny brush, only retouch the spots you know are damage for sure. The shape of the face sometimes 'comes to life' and you discover the face hidden among the damage as you work.

I worked on it a little to see what other ideas I came up with, I found myself using lighten and darken mode with the clone and healing brush. I also found myself creating a curves adjustment layer on top of the retouch layer, I grabed the midtone and pulled it way dark to accentuate the shape of the face which is hard to see when it is so light. Then I did my retouch on the art work layer making sure that the 'sample all layers' is not checked in the the brush options. The channel wth the most detail that shows the original shape of the face the best is the green chaennel.

When using lighten and darken mode work from the side of the damage that will cause the least amount of change. In other words if you are using lighten mode sample from the darker side, the more obvious damage will disappear and it becomes easier to see the shapes that should be there.

I just roughed in what I thought the face originally looked like on just part of the face and it did take a little bit of time, so I do sympathise with the retouch

Some of this you may be a wiz at, I hope there is something that is a help.

Regards,
Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (35.6 KB, 112 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2006, 08:22 PM

Not much of a wiz

Evidentally you've had more training in this than I have. Mine has all been read a book, try and try again and a lot of late night practice. For 2 years I've been trying to learn this but there must be something that I'm missing after seeing your picture. Perhaps you need to finish it and send it on to OPR. BTW, why aren't you a volunteer for Operation Photo Rescue? You could do so much good with your skill level.

I have to admit that I've come a very long way from where I was but am not, nor may I ever have your skills. I've read and reread your information and you'd be suprised at how many thing I have tried based on what others have said, but Flora once said that it's all subjective. When I placed the last one on the board I was pleased with its outcome, Now, I don't feel well about the way he turned out.

I'll keep trying....

Last edited by klassylady25; 08-13-2006 at 11:10 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2006, 12:27 AM

Hi klassy,

I am sorry, the last thing I want to do is discourage you! My experience is 14 years printing in a black & white darkroom and then 19 years owning a photo studio (family photography, weddings, copy & restoration, etc. ... ). So, I guess my skill is the 'eye' I have developed and years of practice. I had a tough time figuring out the left eye that I worked on - so no matter what the experience, it does not mean that it is easy.

Flora is right that it is subjective, and her work often mekes me feel like a beginner so I know how you feel. What I really wanted was not to make you feel bad, but just to help. You did such a great job on the art work minus the lighting / shape issues so I was hoping to share that side of it. This is such a hard one that, beleive me, I understand the problems.

Regarding OPR, since I do this stuff all day at work I probably won't want to do too much outside of work, but I will take a look at it. I am more than happy to share anything I might know though.

Best Regards,
Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2006, 05:54 PM

Discouraged?

If I want to continue what I'm doing that is to be expected. I will continue to work on this until it's right.

Hugz
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2006, 10:51 PM

Hey Candy,

I looked at OPR, quite impressive - I will definently keep it in mind.

I saw your post over there about this restoration and saw the interim stage where you had a total blur where the skin is ... I think that might be part of the challenge. I would have a hell of a time painting in a new face to match the original, which is what you end up having to do when you lose the shape in the retouching process. For me, keeping the shape is the first priority, second is the damage ...

Best of luck,
Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2006, 11:59 PM

Your Turn Roger

Let me know how it's coming along now? Background is generic so I could post not the one I will use....
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2006, 12:30 AM

Hi Candy,

Good shape on the nose and great job on the eyes! I think you are right to go with one highlight in the eyes to mimic the light source. My guess on the eyebrows (because of how faint they are on the areas between the damage) is that this is a blonde gentleman with lighter eyebrows (just my guess).

The only thing that I see that is changing the shape of the face so far is the jaw line on the left - I think it is out a little and the face has lost the shading along the 'jaw line / left side of the face' that makes the face narrower.

Good work,
Roger
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration