RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Suggestions for old photo?

Old 08-14-2006, 07:40 PM

I thank you all for your considerable efforts! You've given me some good ideas about results that can be achieved, and I have new heart that it's worth working on.

Ken, could you please give me some more details about your CMYK split and combine workflow?

I know how much time is involved in this type of repair, and it's much appreciated!

Jamb
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2006, 07:56 PM

Oops!

Sorry, Ken, I posted without refreshing the page and didn't see your second image.

You're correct in that I do want the nostalgic look and for that reason think the latter comes closer to that than the former, but both are far better than I've accomplished.

This is only a representative photo in a group with similar characteristics, and I want to repair them all. So far, all the results I've gotten have required lots of procedures, so I'm hoping to devise a series of "fixes" in PSP that can be scripted. Otherwise, I may shelve the project as being more trouble that it's worth.

Again, if you could define what you did with the CMYK split?

Many thanks!

Jamb
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2006, 08:06 AM

Hi Jamb

This is what I did to get the first picture. I worked from the largest image.
First I doubled the size of the image.
Usually with a picture like this I look at all the channels to find the best.
The channels did not look much better in CMYK but the overall picture did seem better. Also most of the detail in the boy on the right was better in the Black channel. (and Lab Lightness)
In CMYK I made two copies of the image. One at correct levels and another lighter copy concentrating on the boy on the right.
I copied these two layers back to RGB. I then added a hide all mask to the lightened copy and painted back the boy on the right to lighten him up.
Next layer was set to overlay to even out the fading
Next layer was a very high USM sharpen layer painted selectively.
After that I used several layers to even out the colour and paint out marks and blemishes.
Layer 9 is a slight skin color correction.

That’s about it. In the attachment I have added a layer of Neat Image as explained in the previous post you can fade the repaired image back into the original to keep the ‘nostalgic atmosphere’

I hope this helps and you can convert the method to PSP. Please ask if anything is not clear.

Ken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_Layers100.jpg (99.7 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2006, 12:39 AM

tricky image.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUMMER-1-k-1.jpg (94.0 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2006, 07:29 PM

After too much more time spent on this picture, I think it's finally reached an acceptable point. I'll look at it again in a few days with fresh eyes and see if I want to do any more.

My thanks to you all for your efforts and input, all of which gave me some ideas on what could be done.

Ken, I especially appreciate your "above and beyond" diligence, and your detailed explanations of your workflow. I would not have thought of some of your procedures otherwise, I'm sure, and was able to duplicate many of them in PSP.

Although comments and criticism on my semi-final result are welcome, I consider my request answered and closed.

Best regards,
Jamb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Summer3abcd.jpg (61.6 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2006, 01:16 PM

Hi Jamb

Thanks.

Well Done. That looks great
You could (if you want) now sharpen it a little. Great job.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2006, 08:54 PM

Ken, the one on my computer looks a tad sharper than after it was uploaded, but any additional sharpening seems (to my eyes) to add to the slightly muddy look. Still, I have at least 20 variations of that picture, and will have to print them to see which is the best.

"Painting" (brush strokes, oils, etc.) has produced some interesting results because the technique simultaneously camouflages the lack of detail, softens the background and pops the subjects.

It's a shame that the original photos are so bad, but the others taken at the same time are coming together very nicely, with much less effort than the one I posted because of the learning experience with it. Admittedly, it was the worst of the lot, but I figured if it could be made usable, all of them could.

Thanks for the kudos, but I would have had neither the inspiration nor the heart to keep trying had you and the others not hung in there with me.

Jamb
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration