Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Replacing a missing leg(help)

Old 08-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Replacing a missing leg(help)

I`m trying to retouch this photo but I dont know how to replace body parts,could anyone show me a tutorial or explain to me (in easy steps) how this is done?
I`m new to photo shop but have learn`t so much from you guys,just finished working with layers/ajustment layers,so after my head had exploded I found it easy to understand lol,thanks for any help in advance...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg missing leg.jpg (99.8 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg enlarge.jpg (95.7 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by David M; 08-19-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2006, 09:06 AM
The image you have posted is quite small. Any chance of posting a larger version or zooming in on the problem version and posted that version?

The trick to filling in the missing parts is patience. You will be doing a lot of cloning and the key to making it look correct is sampling and resampling (to prevent obvious patterns) and working with a small brush. Ideally you try to sample from the other leg. IF that's not possible you look at other areas you can use perhaps sections of the arm to fill in missing areas of skin on the leg. Other options are other photos...perhaps to replace the missing shoes.

It is also a good idea to make a duplicate of your background and your on your duplicate layer. That way you always can go back to the original if you made a mistake.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2006, 03:26 PM
The images can only be 100kb ,i`m nearly at that now,,how do i post bigger images?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Hi, David...I just did a quick edit on the little girl's leg; didn't do anything to the rest of the picture (that white thing behind her and on the picnic table, the sky, surface blemishes, etc.)...don't know if this helps, but what I did was I outlined the girl's right leg with the Polygonal Lasso tool, copied it, then pasted it back in, moved it over, flipped it horizontally, then edit/distorted it to position so it would line up with her shorts and her other leg...then I got the clone stamp (4 pixels) and sampled the skin tones best I could to cover up the guy's hand that covered part of it, etc. Then I got the blur tool (also 4 pixels, soft brush) and gave it a once-over. I guess I could have put a shadow in there somewhere or gave her foot a lighter color (looks like she's wearing a pair of white sandals, I'm not sure), but I left it alone after I did that. 99 times out of a hundred, I'll come back later and make changes like that, but usually after the big first edit, I leave it alone for a while...not sure if it's going to be any bigger of a file than the one I downloaded, but here goes: Have a great day! John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DavidMspic.jpg (98.4 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by pctalent; 08-21-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration