Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Old 09-05-2006, 01:56 AM

I have been using PS since version 2.5, but have always felt that I am using only about 20% of it's capabilities. I have purchased numerous books on the program and have Katrin Eisman's, and Scott Kelby's books as well as Martin Evening's PhotoShop 6 for photographers. I also have Lynda Weinman', 4 CD programs on PhotoShop 4.

I am not a stupid person, at least I do not think so, but I seem to have problems translating these books into concepts that I can retain. There are a number of tutorials I have found on this web site, that I now use. I cannot say that I understand all of the moves I make but they seem to fit my needs at this time.

I would really like to understand what I am doing, rather than following a cook-book approach.

Ideally, I would like to become an ACE on PhotoShop, particularly in photo restoration, but 1) there doesn’t seem to be anyone in the immediate geographic area, and 2) I have limited funds.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2006, 08:00 AM

Practice, practice, practice! Like you, I've been using PS since the mid 80's. Like you, there is still much to learn. PS is so deep and so broad that you really must focus in on the things you want to do most. Color correct, restore, manipulate, convert photos to art, create visuals from scratch (ala Bert Monroy), prepress work for high end commercial output, glamor retouching, etc.

I don't know that anyone can "master" ALL aspects of Photoshop, but there are many that have taken a specific aspect to the max. I think I've become fairly proficient in the prepress area and "dabble" in the others. I still learn as I dabble, but I still must focus and grow in the area that pays the bills.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2006, 02:02 AM

I couldn't agree more with Swampy ....
Like you, there is still much to learn. PS is so deep and so broad that you really must focus in on the things you want to do most.
Practice, practice, practice!
.... I often try to venture unknown areas (which are many...) but, in most cases, I get to the point where I realize that I simply don't know enough to understand what I am doing or why I get the results I'm getting ...

Like Swampy, "I don't know that anyone can "master" ALL aspects of Photoshop" but, if you wish to go in that direction, I'm convinced that theory (books) without practice or teaching help, can be an extremely frustrating path to follow...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Very true.

If you do decide to focus on one area, you'll quickly find that dabbling in others will provide skills that will expand your proficiency in the area you've decide to focus on. I think that is why you see so many people on this site attempting things that are not necessarily tied to their primary use of the program.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2006, 08:53 PM

I started with graphic apps of one kind or another about 88/89 then Photoshop 10 years ago but like Swampy and Flora said there is still more to learn. For the longest time when I started I just did what I had to to get the job done and I became very skilled and efficient in doing those tasks but there were so many functions and tasks I never used or did. Then with job changes I branched out but it was when I started doing it for fun that I learned the most. You take on tasks, challenges, battles, requests anything you can get your hands on and just work, work , work on them. You will find areas you get stuck on, but you know what you want to do so now you can search on tutorials, tips, tricks book articles or whatever but dedicated to your current (at the time) need. That is far easier to apply than reading first and then trying to apply that knowledge.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration