RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Help/Advice/Assistance

Old 09-11-2006, 01:03 AM

Help/Advice/Assistance

When it comes to upgrading software, I have very, very limited resources. I am currently using PhotoShop 7, (and although I have used PhotoShop since version 2.5, have always felt as if I was using only about 10% of the programs potential) .I am wondering if I should upgrade to CS2 (a major investment on my limited budget). Are there significant changes between version 7 and CS2? My principal use will be for restoration and retouching. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, including any training, books, (CD's, Online and/or classroom courses) that could help. I have Katrin Eisman's, Scott Kelby's, and Martin Evening's books. While I have read them all, I cannot honestly say they answered many of the questions I have about PhotoShop. I still feel overwhelmed by the program (I have found the tutorials and advice on Retouch Pro to be of greater value.) I want to be a PhotoShop ACE. Any and all advice is appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2006, 06:25 AM

advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo
When it comes to upgrading software, I have very, very limited resources. I am currently using PhotoShop 7, (and although I have used PhotoShop since version 2.5, have always felt as if I was using only about 10% of the programs potential) .I am wondering if I should upgrade to CS2 (a major investment on my limited budget). Are there significant changes between version 7 and CS2? My principal use will be for restoration and retouching. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, including any training, books, (CD's, Online and/or classroom courses) that could help. I have Katrin Eisman's, Scott Kelby's, and Martin Evening's books. While I have read them all, I cannot honestly say they answered many of the questions I have about PhotoShop. I still feel overwhelmed by the program (I have found the tutorials and advice on Retouch Pro to be of greater value.) I want to be a PhotoShop ACE. Any and all advice is appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
Hi Christo,

Maybe the best thing for you to get a little more experience would be for you to sign up for a while on the various on line courses/instruction sets such as those at http://www.software-cinema.com (around $30 per 90 days) or even take a look at http://www.prophotosecrets.com where he has a special offer for the first months membership at just $2.95. He does show many different ways of getting the job done quickly and easily and he dows explain things pretty well.

As for whether you should invest in the new CS, this is a personal thing and one that you need to decide for yourself, however, why not download the program first and take advantage of the 30 days free trial, this way you can check for yourself if you really need to upgrade or not.

Hope this helps a little, best of luck,

Tinamou
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2006, 10:29 AM

I have heard some rumblings about a new upgrade (CS3?) coming out in the 1st or 2nd quarter of next year, so you might want to wait till then to upgrade......
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2006, 12:00 PM

to upgrade or not uprade...that is the question

I am working in Photoshop CS. I have pondered the thought of upgrading, but as you said, it is a really big investment. Some people have said that they work in previous versions just fine and do not have the desire to ever upgrade.

Like you, I would like to become a Photoshop pro, but I think that has more to do with practice, than what version of the software that you have. I have seen some impressive work with very old versions of Photoshop.

I don't think that anyone ever learns all the mysteries of Photoshop or every "trick" that it has to offer, no matter what version. The key I believe is to continue to practice and learn. Absorb as much information as you can and apply it. I have learned a great deal just belonging to this forum. For now, I have chosen to stick with CS.

Bella
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2006, 02:51 PM

There are some new filters in the CS version that are great for retouching. Among them, Surface Blur, Reduce Noise, Smart Sharpen, Healing Brush (updated) Photo Filters, Red Eye Removal Tool, Shadow & Highlight, Perspective Cloning and several others. Not much new in the Art filters or sketchy things.

Personal budget is one thing, but if you plan to use Photoshop as the basis for a busniess I'd say bite the bullet and upgrade and continue to learn the tool of your trade. If you're in business for yourself, you can deduct the cost. Also any costs of educating yourself to do your job.

A 57 Chevy was nice in it's day, but it ain't gonna win the Daytona 500 in today's world. :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2006, 04:52 PM

I've reformatted your key points so it is easier to reply...

* My principal use will be for restoration and retouching.
* Although I have used PhotoShop since version 2.5, I am currently using PhotoShop 7
* I have always felt as if I was using only about 10% of the program's potential.
* I still feel overwhelmed by the program.
* When it comes to upgrading software, I have very, very limited resources.
* I am wondering if I should upgrade to CS2 (a major investment).

Based on the above, I would not even recommend downloading a CS2 trial, let alone buying the upgrade.
* While CS and CS2 have additional functions, none are requirements for R&R work.
* If you installed CS2 on your current machine I would not be surprised if you were disappointed with performance. According to dozens of posts at Adobe.com from PS7 users who upgraded to CS2, they reported it took CS2 from longer-to-a-lot-longer to complete a given task compared to PS7. That's probably because they were using PCs purchased 4-6 years ago that had less RAM and slower processors than is optimal for CS2 performance.
* To narrow it down a little a while back the Adobe CEO announced CS3 would be coming out 2Q 2007.

So, there's no rush. As others suggested, learn as much as possible under PS7.

I have Katrin Eisman's, Scott Kelby's, and Martin Evening's books. While I have read them all, I cannot honestly say they answered many of the questions I have about PhotoShop.

For retouching/restoration, there is no better book than Katrin's. If the answers to your questions cannot be found there, post your questions here at RetouchPRO.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, including any training, books, (CD's, Online and/or classroom courses) that could help.

Look at http://www.eclecticacademy.com for their PS offerings. If you need to fill in some knowledge or skill gaps, the price per class is very reasonable and the content is comprehensive and useful.

Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration