RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Operation Photo Rescue - New Photo

Old 09-24-2006, 12:00 AM

Re: Operation Photo Rescue - New Photo

Could that which has been described as a window be an open French door refelecting the outside in the glass. There appears to be a round object that could be a doorknob.

dc
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2006, 12:21 AM

I'm a Catholic and my best guess would be that the boy is holding a Prayer Book and his rosary. They are a traditional gift when one receive's their first communion (he looks a little young for confirmation to me), along with a rosary. Mine was white with an opal finish and had gold gilded pages. My mom still has hers which is more like a black onyx finish with what once was gold gilded pages (which looks like the one the boy is holding). The book contains popular prayers and also walks the child through the steps of the mass (what to say and when to do it, etc.). I memorized mine when I was little and got in trouble as an altergirl because you could here me saying the mass with the priest over the sound system. :P

As far as what is behind him, it looks to me like he may be standing in front of a pillar in the church. If you're going to fudge that strange object I would go with a cross.

Good luck!

Kerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2006, 01:06 AM

ok, so who else has found the house/shed?

also, candy, did you do the scanning on these or are they sent this way to you? there is an 8 bit blocking on the whole picture. or is this just from .jpg compression here on rp?

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2006, 12:49 PM

My impressions -

a prayer book with Rosary lying through it .. a common way of holding them together particularly for photos. Threaded through the book prevents the beads sliding around and keeps the Rosary in place. I'd say it was a First Communion rather than Confirmation as well.

The background - I get the feeling it's the public entry to a convent, most likely a convent school where the child would have been prepared for First Communion. The box I see as a donation/offeratory box which makes sense if this is the public entry to the convent. The grilled door also makes sense in this context. The mystery object, a bell pull? Totally in context, but I do find the quasi-circular shape odd.

I find the lower right side mysterious .. it could be a reception table perhaps.

Just my impressions ..

leanan
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2006, 05:37 PM

Craig, the picture comes preset. The only thing that I do to share it with ya'll is to get it to 100k. The rest is set by the people at OPR. The information about resizing is as follows:

I apologize for coming into this late, but please don't resize the image. There is a method to our madness. First we don't scan the damaged originals. We photograph them on copystands with pro-level digital cameras using raw file formats.

The reason that we do this is so that we can reproduce the best print possible. We are also returning the same size print. Meaning, if the hurricane victim brings in an 8x10 damaged original she's going to get an 8x10 restoration. Same goes for any size prints. We got quite a few that were twice the size of a 16x20 (which is one of the reasons that we don't scan the damaged originals).

If this image is a large file size, it's because it's meant to be printed in large format.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2006, 05:43 PM

Leahan, You're a doll!!

Until you said something about the table, I couldn't make out the shape but that puts it into perspective. Also, thank you so very much for the information. It makes a great deal of sense. I grew up in a Baptist church but my best friend, Pamela Garza was Catholic. She went to VBS with me and I went to a form of VBS with her many summers. Everything had a purpose and place in both denominations.

Your insite was a great help!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2006, 08:40 PM

thanks, candy. must be the .jpg compression then.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2006, 08:46 PM

Hi Candy

This is a real tough one.

I don’t see a staircase either. Nor do I see a table.

I am also not sure about the ‘rope’. That could also just be damage that does not belong in the picture.

Good luck. This is a real tough one. I did not get anything quite this bad from OPR’s difficult section in any of the pictures I have done for them.

Here is what I got from the image. (So far)

Ken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_kellers13_10_5x7.jpg (96.9 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2006, 09:15 PM

Ken

I believe this area may be the table... although I am not sure what the horizontal line is just to the left. I brought a little detail out by painting with colordodge in that area.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kellers13_10_5x7.jpg (96.2 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2006, 09:18 PM

ken,

i didnt see the table at first either. on further looking and a bit of enhancing, i can see the leg fairly easily. the front is a bit obscure, but seems to be something there. and, there may even be a book, something like a visitor's book, sitting on top.

you may be right about the 'rope/candle'. could be damage. my final opinion is not yet fixed on this one yet. a candle would fit the theme suggested by lean, however, so i'm still leaning that way.

wouldnt it be great if we could confirm some of these things. ah well.

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration