RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Operation Photo Rescue - New Photo

Old 09-24-2006, 09:34 PM

Re: Operation Photo Rescue - New Photo

here's some outlines of some of the things we've seen, or think we've seen.

the red is where i see a table leg. AMENDED: i think lean has the right idea on this one. i believe it's the gap between the boy's legs now. if there is a table leg showing, it is further camera right.

blue is my table front

green is the maybe book.

yellow is the window

orange is the 'house/shed'

cyan is the 'candle/rope/damage'

and brown is the box

and if you dont see it this way i wouldnt be surprised. some of it is pretty speculative.

also, you may not see it well at all in this posting; i lowered the image size quite a bit here for posting.

craig

edit: changed the red entry identification.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kellers13_10_5x7-3-k-1.jpg (94.4 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Craig Walters; 09-25-2006 at 01:45 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2006, 11:34 PM

Craig! I just love ya!! I'm still looking for the house in the window and now that I have an area, I may just make it out.

And Butch, the horizontal line to the left of the table leg is the area between the young lads pant legs!

As for solving all the mystery, Yes, it would be wonderful, but believe it or not, the bits and pieces contributed by all has been a great help. Each one has picked up on something just a bit different. You are what will makes this picture come alive!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2006, 12:42 AM

Just a comment on Craig's wonderful isolation of objects in the photo .. I don't see the table leg as being between the lad's legs .. I feel that the photo was too well set up for that kind of interference and my inclination was that he had quite narrow legs and that was a natural gap. But then I start thinkjing it's a discolouration on the pic. Another reason I don't think that's where the table lies, is that I think I can see the bottom line of his jacket running further across to the right .. that would have been hidden by a table.

The table I see is not so much the legs, but a fairly solid row of 'carved' on the right hand side (lower pic in the attchment) .. more the table top/side, than leg. It could well be another case of damage/discolouration though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg keller-bits.jpg (97.5 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2006, 01:42 PM

candy, thanks but, before you compliment me too much, ya better look at lean's post. i think he's got it right on the table leg. what i was calling the table leg appears to be the gap between his pant legs. that's why it's such a different color. the real leg is more camera right and not as plain....if it's even a table leg. fascinating. dont know why i didnt see that to begin with.

also, i had been thinking that big, ornate thing on the camera left side was a room stove... the thing with the 'mantle' that the little box is sitting on. it doesnt seem to be a fireplace, but there were a zillion types of those room stoves in years past. can anyone confirm that or have another idea about it?

craig

also, candy, dont put too much stock in that 'house'. all i have to go by here is thiis reduced size image and that 'house' may just be the resulf of .jpg compression. if your original shows the same thing, why fine. but if not, go with that.

Last edited by Craig Walters; 09-25-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2006, 02:22 PM

Hi Craig.

His legs show up quite clearly in the cyan channel. (I still can’t see a table)

I thought the “big, ornate thing” may have been a bureau or cabinet but the frame looks to thin to hold glass.
It could be a fireguard? Or maybe an ornate screen?
Is it wood or metal?
It may even be something like this
http://www.lichfield-cathedral.org/lcview11.htm

Candy.
We really need the original. There are too many jpeg artefacts to find any more detail. I went to OPR but could not find it. Could you please post the original somewhere (You send it, or http://files.ww.com/ or somewhere)

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2006, 04:23 PM

I've studied this photo for quite some time and here's my take

The boy is standing beside a banister that goes up the stair well leading to a door at the landing then turns left and the stairs continue up and around the wall that is behind the boy.

I think both areas of the wall, behind the alms box table and beyond the curving stairs and to the left of the door are painted with murals I've filled this area in with a pattern fill to define it. The wall area behind the alms box seems to be curved like an alcove.

I think the circular thing is part of the carving of the alms box since it seems to have light and shadows. I thuoght the white "rope/candle" was damage.

I think that below the alms box is a table skirt or tapestry that goes to either the floor or to the end of its scroll pattern. Hard to tell on that one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my-kellers13_10_5x7-1.jpg (63.8 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2006, 11:20 PM

Using the link that Cameron gave, I have uploaded the original sent to me by OPR.

click here to download kellers13_10_5x7.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2006, 11:38 PM

My work to date
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2006, 12:58 AM

candy,

thank you for the original. that helps. no longer sure about the 'house' but i think i found the table and leg, or at least part of the leg. attached is that portion of the image with the table and upper portion of the leg enhanced.

nice work so far

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg candy-table-1-k-1a.jpg (93.8 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2006, 10:05 PM

He's going home. I have to downsize to bring it in here and sometimes just running it through the "save for web" option brings out little things. Those that I spotted were corrected. This young man has come through so much. I hope that the family will be pleased.

Thank you all for your help and input. I couldn't have done it without you.

Love

Last edited by klassylady25; 10-06-2006 at 10:11 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration