RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Data to film technology

Old 01-22-2002, 06:41 PM

Data to film technology

I was wondering if there is a way to transfer those restored pictures back into film? kind of data to film transfer (or even 35 mm slides)

That way printing is cheaper and quality would be greater.

Thanks
Rey
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2002, 06:59 PM

Film as in negatives? I believe taking a copy of your restored file to a photo finishing place that can deal with digital files should be able to generate negatives for you or slides but I would call around and see. Generally if they can print it they can make negatives from it. Slides, I'm not sure about.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2002, 07:00 PM

Yes, several different companies market film transfer devices which are capable of making 35mm slides and medium format negatives. The ones I have seen have a starting retail price of around $5,000. U.S. and up. If you search using the phrase "Film Transfer Devices" you should be able to locate more info.. Good luck. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 02:13 AM

Film Recorders

What you are looking for is someone with a "film recorder" if you want top quality work. Because a good film recorder is a very expensive piece of equipment, your best source for outservicing will probably be one of the graphic arts houses in your city that is offering to do pre-press work.

If you can't find one in the phone book, ask an editor at your local newpaper office, they should be able to direct you to a source in your area.

All of our digital retouching work to date is being transfered on to 4x5 film for traditional printing ...costs in this area range from a few dollars for 35mm to around $5 for 120 and up to $30 or more for 4x5 negatives. The Polaroid web site is a good stating point for more details if you are interested in buying one.

Jim Conway
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 03:52 AM

thanks for the info. This website has been very helpful to me not only in photo retouching but in digital photography and photoshop tips and resources.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 08:33 AM
Janitor

I'm working purely from memory here, so I could have the spelling or spacing off, but one of the most respected technologies for film recording nowadays is Kodak's "light valve". The devices that license this technology are far too expensive for home (or even small business) use, but specialty labs can do one-ups for you.

I know nothing about pricing or availability. Perhaps someone could fill in the blanks.

BTW, I got this recommendation from the John Paul Caponigro Master Class book (see the reviews page for details).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 03:06 PM

<That way printing is cheaper and quality would be greater>

I am not sure I understand that statement.
If you are making a great many copies, then went to film neg, to standard prints maybe, but do you do that? We very rarely do more than 2 or 3 copies of anything. Otherwise by the time you add the cost of transfering the image to film, then printing, do you really save any money?
Where does the increase in quaility come from? You can get your digital files printed directly to regular wet process photo paper, so why do you consider the printing from a neg better quaility than printing from a digital file? Wouldn't you consider the transfer to a neg as 1 generation, then the transfer to the printing paper another generation? Directly from digital to paper save a generation....
Your thoughts, and thank you in advance
Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 03:53 PM

Mike if you have your own B&W darkroom and want to use the computer for retouching, the logical step is to return to film in order to print the finals. If you go to paper, no matter how you do it, you would have to make an additional copy in order to have the "retouched" negative.

Jim Conway
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 05:20 PM

Jim
Back in BD (before digital) when we had our own darkroom, we provided the customer with the retouched neg. Then when they decided they needed more prints they could never find it, and we did not really want to get into the storage business. So do you provide negs on a routine basis, or just as a special item?
We keep a file of the final output, its amazing how many one can get on a CD and how little space it takes! And if it lasts for anytime at all, it will most likely be longer than a lot of our customers could keep track of their negs.
Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 06:32 PM

Mike - we have rather knowledgable accounts including collectors, museums and others who want top quality ...and we offer the same services to the general public as well. They all want a human readable record for their archives and I wouldn't presume that any of my other clients would deserve anything less. Most are ordering fiber base prints and when they order RC we deliver a selenium toned product so we are geared toward permanence.

Our sales program includes explaining the value of the negatives and, unlike the experience you've related, most of ours end up in the clients safe deposit boxes. We use "silver lock" to make sure they are a lasting product and I'm sure that, at least in our case, the clients appreciate these distinctions.

Jim Conway
Timemark Photo Conservators
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration