RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Help with this old Photo

Old 09-27-2006, 11:03 AM

Help with this old Photo

I have recently been given some old photos of my Great Grandparents.
I have done some repair on the picture (not this one), but I cannot seem
to get the photo to be sharp.

Can anyone help me? I am new to this forum, but I have a great interest and lots of photos to restore. I use Adobe Photoshop CS2.

Thank you so much.

Joan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ADELINE-AND-JOE-ARNETT-w.jpg (19.4 KB, 136 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2006, 11:59 AM

Re: Help with this old Photo

first thing i would try is reseting the white and black points using the levels or curves command. use the minus and plus eyedropers on the lower right hand side of the dialog box. choose a white point (the minus eyedroper) click and then choose a black point (the plus eyedroper) and click this should reset the picture to a better contrast.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2006, 12:33 PM

I think that my restoration is a good point to start. I used curves adjustment layers, selective color, channel mixer, cloning tool...
Regards,
Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ADELINE-JOE1.jpg (94.8 KB, 103 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2006, 02:31 PM

jfricker,

welcome to RP.

first thing i'd do is double the image size. this will help you avoid problems with aliasing.

next you want to try to bring out as much detail as possible. things like curves, levels, brightness/contrast, clarify and so on.

the image could also stand some light cleanup of noise. Neat Image, photoshop's own noise reducer or psp's digital camera noise removal shld do. you might also try polaroid dust and scratch remover.

after that i think i'd try some cloning to get rid of any dust/spots/noise/scratches that are still there.

then comes the tricky part. this image has a lot of white fading. and worse, it has white fading on a black background. there will only be so much you can do to try to bring back the lost detail here. thankfully, most of the white fading isnt on the people. to reduce this effect, i'd probably make a selection of those areas with a decent feather to the selection and try some individual curves or clarify on just the selections. you want to try to bring some contrast here and if you cant find any contrast/detail, then you at least want to match the luminance with the rest of the good areas. so, that's going to be the hardest part and least satisfactory in the repair.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2006, 01:40 PM

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions how to fix the photo of my Great Grandparents.

I am attaching two of the attempts I tried. I ended up using the 2nd one as I just could not get the whites to tone down on the first photo. Is there a way to do this after using the eye droppers?

The eye dropper procedure is completely new to me. I have had success on a couple of other older photos using your suggestions, but not on this one. Any ideas?

Thanks again and I so appreicate all your ideas!

Joan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture-compariason-of-ma-a.jpg (30.0 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2006, 03:38 PM

hi joan,

i'm guessing you're talking about the eye dropper in curves?

i gave this image a try. but i decided to look at another method and you may find this useful. i split the channels into r, g, and b. the green channel seems to have the most of that white fading so i threw it out and recombined the image using 2 red channels and the blue. but, before i did that, i made some fixes on the channels. i adjusted brightness/contrast and added a 'clarify' filter on each. this was all to bring out as much detail as possible just using luminosity and contrasting type tools.

from there i selected out some of the yellowish/whitish fading and ran a hue/sat adjustment layer on each selection. i completely desaturated these and darkened in most cases. when i had the worst areas handled i ran a hue/sat on the entire image and did the same again.

i copy merged and pasted to a new layer and ran a 'fade' filter on this.

i ran another curves adjustment layer.

i tried a histogram adjustment but that didnt work too well, so i threw that out.

and from there i just started doing a dodge and burn treatment on the heavy shadow areas to bring them out more and to darken some of the remaining white fading.

i then doubled the image size.

after that it was just cleanup. remove dust and dot stuff and the tear and so on. this was all done with 'clone' and 'push' (push is just a heavy smudge in ps).

i also rotated the image 1.5 degrees to the right and cleaned up the borders.

and to finish i added one more brightness/contrast adjustment layer.

tricky image. lots of shadows and white fading.

you shld also know that whereas i've included all the tools i used, my workflow isnt exactly what i've laid out here. things like adding a blank layer to do the cloning on and a number of copy merges werent listed. but the general idea shld come across. i also resized the image back down to 800 x 600 for posting.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adeline-and-joe-arnett-w-1-k-1a.jpg (94.7 KB, 88 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Patron

Nice Job Craig; particularly on the dark left side of the photo. Some of your work is absolutely Florian!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2006, 12:18 AM

thank you, phil

excuse my ignorance, but what is 'florian'? i looked it up on the web and all i found was something about a Roman who got thrown off a bridge and drowned.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2006, 05:55 AM
Patron

Florian

Well Yes, Craig perhaps there was a person named Flora who wass tossed off the bridge, in ancient Roman times, but I was referring to that lovely current Italian, Flora who does such marveolus retouch work on this delightful site. Hey have a good day.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2006, 03:11 PM

ah, that Florian! high praise indeed! thanks, phil

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration