RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Oxidation to photo

Old 10-03-2006, 04:34 PM

Oxidation to photo

I have an old photo of my husband's grandmother.
She just passed away and I thought it would be a touching gift for his mother and her 3 sisters to retouch this photo and print it out and frame it in an old fashion frame.

But over the years it seems the photo as become oxidized. My dad thinks this is due to the photo not finishing it's process of . I have other old photos that have the same effect on them.

If you look at the bottom of the photo you will see what I am talking about.

I would love to get this photo looking like it did when it was first printed. She was a very lovely lady and feel the picture should bring out her beauty.

So any other tips/hints you can give me in finishing this photo are most welcome.

This is the photo as it looked before I retouched.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...andamaorig.jpg

and here is the image after I made some changes.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...andmafixed.jpg

Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 06:21 PM

Re: Oxidation to photo

Not sure exactly what wether you want B&W or Sepia tone so did both.
The damage is easily cleaned up with the Healing brush/Clone and a little noise reduction. Adjusted levels added a gradient map layer for the sepia tone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grandama-bw.jpg (97.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Grandama-sepia.jpg (99.8 KB, 88 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 06:50 PM

those are just lovely. I perfer the sepia tone look due to the fact that is what the origional picture looks like.

I keep reading about this healing brush/clone. Or just healing brush alone. Are they one in the same? Cause I use the cloning brush alot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 07:50 PM

My retouch method was to apply a mono channel mixer layer of 70 red, 20 blue, 10 green. Used clone tool to further improve damage. Applied a surface blur mask to face and dress and then brought back detail to eyes, mouth etc. Adjusted opacity of mask so the face didn't look too false. Added some sepia back to image.

Also, (and I hope you don't mind this, being as I don't know this lovely lady's colouring), I tried a colourised version, by adding Curves adjustment layers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grandamabw.jpg (93.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Grandamacol.jpg (95.5 KB, 121 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Patron

If you use Photoshop you will have a healing brush group in your tools menu (also clone stamp group below it in my attatchment) mighty useful too!
In you image I used the spot healing and standard healing brushes to clean up the worst of the silvering, I found it useful to check each individual colour channel as the oxidation, and some 'splotchiness' in the background, is more apparent on one channel than the others. I adjusted the levels to bring back the contrast and depth to shadows and highlights. I used the burn tool set to a very low exposure (about 5%) and set to shadows, to paint back some of the darker tones that were faded by the silvering there. I didn't really worry too much about any colour wierdness (notably blue toned highlights to rusty shadows) I decided to desaturate the image and introduce a very subtle sepia to give some 'softness' to the overall tone. (used an optikVerve Labs filter for this)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Healtools.jpg (97.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg lvls.jpg (99.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg grandmafixed1.jpg (99.4 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 08:26 PM

Hi Joramilea.

Quote:
But over the years it seems the photo as become oxidized. My dad thinks this is due to the photo not finishing it's process off. I have other old photos that have the same effect on them
Yes. You are probably correct. The image was probably not fixed or washed fully. Keep it in the dark to prevent further deterioration.

What great timing. I just wrote a tutorial for exactly this type of image.

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=255

After working through the tutorial I used Neat Image

http://www.neatimage.com/

The Results are attached. And like Printmeister I could not help but colour this.

Hope this helps. Great Picture.

Ken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_Grandamaorig_Both.jpg (99.5 KB, 89 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 09:29 PM

I used a fairly standard approach like the other. I ran the photo through Neat Image before I started. This removed most of the "noise". Healing/cloning to eliminate the "silver". This is a very nice photo and I couldn’t stop. I cropped to an 8x10 at 300 ppi. I think there is too much below her face. One more pass through Neat Image (with a very light touch!) and burn tool to darken eyes, mouth, and portions of her hair. Used burn tool on hair highlights. Final sharpening with unsharp mask. I basically kept the same Hue as the original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grandamaorig_fixed.jpg (91.7 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2006, 10:03 AM

Great job everyone.
I used neat, s/h adjustment, healing brush, dodge and burn.
Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grandma-web.jpg (97.9 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2006, 10:34 AM

they are all just lovely! Grandma has never looked so good.

Thank you all for your pictures and what you did to them to make them look better.

I love the colored ones. Grandma did have blue eyes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2006, 12:05 PM

Hi,

Joramilea,

welcome to RP!!

A lot of great help for solving your problem... but this was a beautiful picture of a stunning young woman ... sorry to hear she passed away ...

Couldn't resist... working on it.

In my first attachment a plain restoration.

In my second attachment I lightly coloured her eyes only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joramilea
I keep reading about this healing brush/clone. Or just healing brush alone. Are they one in the same? Cause I use the cloning brush alot.
... Clone Tool and Healing Brush are two different things ...

From PS Help File:

The Clone Stamp tool takes a sample of an image, which you can then apply over another image or part of the same image. You can also clone part of one layer over another layer. Each stroke of the tool paints on more of the sample. The Clone Stamp tool is useful for duplicating an object or removing a defect in an image.

The Healing Brush tool lets you correct imperfections, causing them to disappear into the surrounding image. Like the cloning tools, you use the Healing Brush tool to paint with sampled pixels from an image or pattern. However, the Healing Brush tool also matches the texture, lighting, transparency, and shading of the sampled pixels to the pixels being healed. As a result, the repaired pixels blend seamlessly into the rest of the image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Grandamaorig.jpg (97.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg F_Grandamaorig_B.jpg (94.6 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Flora; 10-04-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration