RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Bad Patina on old photos

Old 10-10-2006, 04:07 PM

Smile Bad Patina on old photos

Attached are two examples of old photos I want to restore. I am new at this and use PSE 4. What proceedure should I use to get rid of the Hazy patina covering these scanned photos? Thanks for any advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad-&-Bros-ORIG-4x6.jpg (99.4 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg Grandpas-Fmly-ORIG-4x6.jpg (99.9 KB, 142 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Patron

Re: Bad Patina on old photos

Pallidin, welcome to Retouch Pro. A noise filter plugin such as Noiseware or Neat Image, or Noise Ninja will remove most of the haze. I used Noiseware and Photoshop CS2, however, I believe that these plugins will also function with PS Elements. After that I did a levels adjustment to teak the contrast (1st Attachment) and then converted the image to grayscale (2nd attachment).
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pallidin Dad-&-Bros-ORIG-Rev MM.jpg (88.8 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Pallidin Dad-&-Bros-ORIG-Rev MM Gray.jpg (84.4 KB, 103 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2006, 08:44 PM

The best thing you can do is to have the originals copied by someone with polarized lights and lens.Does not matter if it is digital or film but the copy will be so good you will see detail you did not know was there.Then you can restore them and have a much easier time with far better results.
What you are seeing is oxidation or silvering and scanners cannot deal with it.If these are your photos you could try a couple of things that sometimes
works in a limited way. You could use a kneeded erasier it is sort of a soft art
erasier, with it you could rub it on the oxidized areas so it dulls the reflective
parts some and then try scanning the results.The other possibilty would be to get yourself some matt spray and spray the print that sometimes helps.Just be
very aware when you do something on top of the original lots of very bad things can happen.The best thing is to have them copied by a pro lab who knows about cross polarization and either get a digital file or a copy print that
has canceled out the oxidation.
Of course if you had software like CS2 you might have limited succes with channels or adjustment layers but still the best way is have them copied.
Don
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2006, 09:19 PM

What Don said......
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2006, 10:17 PM

Hi Pallidin......

I didn't have very good results but here's something you can try:

I did Ctrl + Alt + ~ to select the highlights and Ctrl + J to put them on their own layer and set layer blend mode to Multiply

Then I did Ctrl + Alt + ~ then Ctrl + Shft + I and Ctrl + J to select darks and place them on their own layer and set layer blend mode to Screen (I think I did Ctrl + J on this layer to make another layer exactly like it in order to lighten further)

Then I flattened this by Layers > Flatten Image

Now, Ctrl + J to dup layer and on the duped layer use smudge tool to smooth their faces adj. opacity until content with the look and flatten again.

I then held the Alt button while I clicked the Add Layer Icon on layers palette and made the blend mode Color Dodge.....

With a soft white brush at 10% opacity went over faces, or anything I wanted brightened....... then went Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur to smooth
then adj. opacity of this color dodged layer.

Then held Alt button while I clicked the Add Layer Icon button again but this time changed blend mode to Color Burn....

With soft black brush at 10% opacity went over everything dark, including trees in back and grass and dark clothing...... Gaussian Blurred per above method... adj. opacity and then flattened everything....

Used USM by Filters > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask with these values: 20%, 60.00 amount Threshold 0.......

That's it....... it's a little more distinct but not much....... oh yeah, I also used an Action to change the color to Selenium Brown......

Beth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grandpas-Fmly-ORIG-4x6-BK.jpg (97.1 KB, 101 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2006, 04:37 AM

Here's another way which can give reasonable results. (I haven't tried to correct the picture in any way, just get rid of the silvering).

Copy to new layer.
Desaturate layer.
New layer, set to color blend. Sample color from BG layer and color layer with bucket tool.
Adjust layer opacity for color, you can also use color balance on this layer to adjust to a tint you like.

You'll still need to correct the differences in luminecense, but the color variation won't be there so it'll be easier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad-&-Bros-ORIG-4x6 copy.jpg (99.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Layers.jpg (14.3 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2006, 11:54 AM

I wanted to see what the changes would look like.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2006, 02:34 PM

Wink Re: Bad Patina on old photos

Thankyou all for your comments/suggestions. I will try them one by one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2006, 06:54 AM
Patron

I started with the channel mixer selected monochrome and 100% red the least silvered channel.
Then I used a levels adjustment layer.
I copied this result to a new layer using screen blending mode and a black mask and painted in the dark faces to lighten them up.
I then added color back in using a HSL adjustment layer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Family.jpg (41.0 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2006, 07:42 AM

Nice one Phil!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration