Old 10-27-2006, 01:57 AM

Re: Help with reconstructing dress

Beth,

Excellent one.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2006, 02:15 AM

Hi Bart...... thanks ...... I consider it such a compliment coming from you!

oxoxo
Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2006, 08:09 AM

Here is the original photo. I have noticed that it has a warm tone to it that seems to have been lost due to removing the yellow staining. Can anyone comment on what you think the dress color should be? Have I desaturated to far?

Beth,
I love what you have done. Can you take me step by step in the process? It's what I wanted to do, but don't know how to yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg opr-damage.jpg (69.1 KB, 66 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2006, 08:24 AM

thank you, michelle. the dress seems to be white or cream-colored satin. so, there would be a bit of a sheen or gloss to it. i'd say that any reds or greens you're seeing in it are stains/age and dont belong there. i can also see no discernable pattern in the dress. seems to be smooth.

i'd go with mostly clone here, but i havent looked at the channels yet. so, that might help also. the veil may be a bit of a trick, though. so, you might want a cut and paste from another image there. i wouldnt cut and paste on the main body of the dress, however. the main outline is mostly there.

for the unwanted reds and greens, i'd probably mask/select the dress and run a hue/sat desaturation on that.

this shld be quite repairabl.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2006, 08:32 AM

This is what I have done so far. I used the pattern maker the healing brush. I think I like what Beth has done. What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg opr-damate.wip.jpg (55.3 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2006, 10:47 AM

Hi Michelle.....

After reading / trying this method what you may really want to do on the skirt part of the dress is to create and use a displacement map but, you might be satisfied with your results with the below:

1. Carefully select the entire dress and veil (lasso or quick mask method)

2. Edit > Copy then Edit > Paste (your dress & veil will be on their own layer)
on that layer go:

3. Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation with Saturation slider all the way to the left and Lightness slider to apx. +70

4. Click on Create New Fill Adj. Layer icon at bottom of layers palette > Pattern (I chose a lace pattern - just Google lace patterns for photoshop and download) You can adj. the size of the pattern using the % slider that comes up when you choose your pattern.... I think I used 40%.... )

5. Lower opacity of this pattern layer & using black brush paint/cover over anything you don't want patterned (veil, smooth parts of dress, background)

6. Click on Layer 1 & with magic wand, touch blank space.... hold the shift key and touch the other blank space(s) to include them, too..

7. With large, black brush (100% opacity) paint all inside the marching ants areas to restore your black background.

8. Click on the patterned layer, making sure you click on the dbl. outlined box on that layer and lower opacity to something more believable

9. Click on layer 1 and lower opacity so that you can see the hands, Bible, ribbons and neck then erase those areas carefully

10. Making sure you're on your top layer go Layers > Merge down

11. With new top layer selected, go Image > Adjustment > Hue/Saturation and checkmark Colorize...... play with Lightness slider too

12. Ctrl + J that layer and play with look by changing blend mode in the layers palette (remember you can adj. the Hue/Sat of either or both top 2 layers now...)

13. After you're happy with color go Layers > Flatten Image

14. Holding the Alt button, click the Add New Layer icon and in that dialog box change blend to Color Burn, checkmark "fill with color burn neutral color"

15. With soft, black brush set to Normal and appx. 10% opacity, go over places on dress where you'd like more shadows or depth..... it'll look streaky.... that's OK

16. Go to Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur and adj. until smooth but not too translucent

17. Adj. opacity of this layer in layers palette

18. Flatten image and woo hoo.... you're through

I didn't go into the veil part because I just found a wedding veil and copied/pasted over old one, lowered opacity and erased the "overspray" then upped the opacity again......

Creating a displacement map would help the pattern to turn or follow the curves of the dress ....... there may even be a tutorial already here at RetouchPRO for that.....

Have fun!

oxoxo
Beth

Here's another color for the dress...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AnotherColor.jpg (96.4 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2006, 11:21 AM

By no means complete just worked on the dress to show what could be done by desaturating. cloning, denoise and adding back the tint from the original.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38893-help-reconstructing-d.jpg (87.7 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2006, 07:20 PM

Peter,
This looks nice as well. Can you elaborate on how you achieved this look?

Beth,
I'm looking into a tutorial on the displacement map. Hoping to match the top of the wedding gown in texture, sheen ect...

Thanks guys!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2006, 10:25 AM

I have found a photo of a gown I would like to use. How can I take the bottom of this gown and place is over the old dress and make it look realistic. I have already flipped it and used the transform tool to place it where I want it... what do I do next?
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gown-7405-Front-Full.jpg (38.0 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2006, 01:38 PM

Hi Michelle......

Once you've gotten the new skirt on top of the old skirt you'll want to check for a few things first such as:

1. Do the bodice seams line up with the new skirt seams....
2. Does the new skirt color match with the old bodice color....
3. Did the file resolutions match enough so that both fabrics look the same or does the old bodice looks like satin but the new skirt looks like burlap.... or some other rougher material....

You may already know these things and, if so, please forgive me..... I never thought about such things but couldn't figure out why things I did just didn't look right....... just thought I'd mention them.....

Once you're where you are now, you'll want to lower the opacity of the layer that is your "new" skirt....... enough so that you'll be able to use the eraser tool to erase anything below the new skirt that you want to come through....... you don't want the new skirt to cover up her arms, etc....

As you go along erasing, keep a check on where you are by stopping every now and then to raise the opacity of the "new" skirt layer making sure you haven't erased too much of the "new" skirt or that you're forgetting to erase something you want to show through.....

When you think you've gotten everything right, raise the opacity of the "new" skirt layer for the next step....

Click on the Add New Layer icon at the bottom of the layers palette and take your brush tool set to Overlay at 100% opacity (in this case) and paint black over areas that need to be black like your background........

When all is perfect go to Layers > Flatten......... then save your file......

The picture I'm attaching was fast and furious aka sloppy ...... didn't match colors well, didn't adjust the waist area under bodice and left too large of a dark triangle........ didn't color hands......... ran roughshod over the ribbons on the Bible....... just wanted you to have a quick example......

oxoxo
Beth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NewSkirt.jpg (81.0 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration