Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Help with reconstructing dress

Old 10-29-2006, 06:52 PM

Thumbs down Re: Help with reconstructing dress

Wow, Beth. Amazing work!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2006, 07:01 PM

Re: Help with reconstructing dress

Awe...... thanks pepperspray......... do you have a law enforcement background?????........ heheheh

oxoxo
Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2006, 12:42 AM

i tried this one also. this is a ton of cloning, several layers. i followed this with several layers of airbrushing and followed that with three layers of hue/sat. one layer was for the dress and another for the veil and the third was for one small area treated separately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg opr-damage-1-k-1d.jpg (91.7 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2006, 12:58 AM

Craig....... excellent work..... especially on the veil....... it seemed to start out plain but then, as it got towards the bottom, there was that faint lace or something........ and there wasn't much to work from with that..... you did a great job keeping it real....... this was tough.

Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2006, 01:32 AM

thank you, beth you can critique my work any time. i feel like a cat that's just been stroked

it really was a ton of cloning. and i had to fake the veil in the parts that were missing with the airbrush. i used an odd brush that looks like a holy sponge or something. i varied the blacks and white and colors and used many different blank layers which i then gausian blurred to smooth things out.

when i used the hue/sat layers i had to make a sort of arbitrary division between dress and veil. i decided the veil overlayed part of the dress and drew it down from there. i selected the dress first and ran the hue/sat on it. i desaturated both the reds and yellows. then i inverted the selection and erased the parts that werent the veil and desatured the same way, only i lightened it up some to separate it out from the dress a bit.

i look at it now and it could still stand some work. there's still some yellow and discoloration in the dress. i may post another.

but again, thank you

and i like your version as well. great compositing!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2006, 01:51 AM

beth, i think this one looks better. ran another hue/sat on the whole dress and veil as one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg opr-damage-1-k-1e.jpg (94.7 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2006, 02:21 AM

Wow Craig........ you're right...... this one nailed it....... it is beautifully done and real....... if this one's for Operation Photo Rescue then you know they'd be thrilled....... have you done any for them???

All I know is that they don't want you using other people's body parts (visions of Young Frankenstein's graveyard scene come to mind..... hehehe) or making up stuff........

Also, I completely agree about the sleeve...... at first it looked like lace with some mold, too...... but it was in too weird a place for that to be the case.... good call with that one.....

Yours is so realistic....... Just Purrrrrrrfect.........

oxoxo
Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2006, 09:17 AM

beth, thank you very much

no, i've not done any for OPR, except in helping a few others do theirs.

i'm a little surpised they dont want 'body parts'. you'd think they'd be happy with reconstructions of any sort. then again, i suppose i'm more old school in this way too. but in the end, the final results are what matters. so, if it's cut 'n paste or airbrush, who's to quibble if the job is good, yes?

and i love the "Just Purrrrrrrfect"
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2006, 09:59 AM

Yeah Craig...... they have a list of ..... somethings....... not rules, reallly but..... guidelines....... that's it......... they stress "keeping the feel" of a photo. I can understand I guess but it felt frustrating since you didn't have any contact with the people you were doing the work for.....

I really need to say that the OPR people are doing a wonderful job and since I've never had anything bad happen to my photos (except them being kept in a huge plastic bin with old Barbie's and Ken's piled on top of them doing 'who knows what') ....... I'd probably want the same feeling a photo evoked, too.....

It was just difficult, at times, because you couldn't tell between misfortune or MISFORTUNE..... and there was no way to find out if the client was thrilled you'd cleaned up the big blob of mold on Aunt Wanda's forehead or horrified you'd removed her big blob of a mole

I'd better quit playing around...... I sort of got put in the "time out" chair a while ago for incorporating playfulness in my valid response over in another topic..... though not by any moderators or Dave....... WReeeeeeerrrrrrrr !!!

I guess after doing a few things for them, I really have an appreciation for the work you've done on this dress ....... it's the kind that is most difficult....

oxoxo
Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2006, 01:13 PM

beth,

yes, i understand. like i said, i'm somewhat old school on restoring and rarely use cut-n-paste. but i'm also ALL in favor of results. and from what i've seen of your work here, and in the contests, you get results. so, who really cares how you got there, (other than those doing the work we do ).

and i love your playfulness, so the h*ll with whomever was giving you grief on it i love a good wit and playful nature. but i wont speculate too much on what barbie and ken do in the confines of a closed box

and i agree on the OPR feedback. it's one of the reasons i didnt volunteer. i mean, what other pay would you get on volunteer work if not a bit of feedback and praise. it's good they are doing what they are doing, but i'd like direct feedback... did i do ok? is this how you remember it? was there anything i missed? do you remember what this dark thing in the corner was/is and do you have any similar images i could borrow from? and so on. that, to me, is part of the job. but, they are providing a good service, so ok. i've just chosen to help those that are helping OPR rather than helping OPR directly.

and again, thank you. you may critique my work any time. this old tabby loves his fur stroked from time to time, especially by someone as talented as yourself and who can appreciate all that goes into something like this
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration