RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Water Damage

Old 11-14-2006, 07:17 PM

Water Damage

WilyGDad is the original. The edges got wet and crinkled. WilyGranDad4 is a surface clean-up of the original. WilyGranDad2_filt.jpg is the results of using the Automatic Levels Adjustment. WilyGranDad_filt2.jpg is the results of doing a manual Levels adjustment. This picture seems to have a lot of green tones in it. I don't know if I like the way the Automatic adjustment came out. What do you creative people think?

Thank you,
Sylvia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WilyGDad.jpg (61.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg WilyGranDad2_filt.jpg (48.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg WilyGranDad4.jpg (34.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg WilyGranDad_filt2.jpg (36.1 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2006, 08:09 PM

Re: Water Damage

You did a very good job of eliminating the wrinkles along the outside. Since this is a black & white photo, I suggest starting with Image->Adjustment->Desaturate or straight conversion to Grayscale mode. You can always colorize of add sepia filter at the end.

I ran Neat Image noise filter to reduce the background noise in the photo. The selected the man's coat and put it on a separate layer. Then used Levels to smooth. Slide the Output Level white point (right hand slider) about 2/3 of the way to the left. Move the Input Level Mid-point slider a little to the left. It seems to clean up fairly well.

Now you can use Levels to adjust face and background. I also lightened the dark spot in his hair.

A little healing on facial defects and Unsharp Mask will complete the corrections.

The posted image below is still grayscale. You can colorize with Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer. Convert to RGB mode. Hue/Saturation Adjustment Later with the colorize box checked. I would suggest Hue=40 and Saturation=10. You can adjust to suit your taste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WilyGranDad4-fixedA.jpg (77.7 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2006, 10:19 PM

Hi Sylvia...... I converted this to black and white using the channel mixer with monochromatic check marked...

Then I flattened it and began copying and pasting good parts over the bad parts....

I cloned a bit too on the suit, shirt and background....

Then I ran it through ND Noise to smooth things out and where things looked too slick from it I added noise....

To get the color back, I sampled from the original green picture then went to my new B & W version and added a new layer, then went to Edit > Fill > Foreground color.....

I just changed the blend mode to Soft Light, flattened it all and was finished... this was fun....

Beth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FinalWilyGdad.jpg (96.0 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by solitear; 11-15-2006 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Changed Photo
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2006, 02:10 AM

This was fun! I am in the early, early stages of trying to learn Photoshop. I would have never thought to convert it to Grayscale on my own. Duwayne, what you accomplished with the Hue> Saturation adjustment was very good. Beth, I loved what you accomplished with the Channel Mixer. I'm just beginning to learn about that. I took suggestions from both of you and here is the results. Thank you both!

Sylvia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WilyGranDadGraR_filtered.jpg (36.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg WilyGranDadR2_filtered.jpg (32.1 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2006, 07:44 AM

Hi Sylvia........ you've done a great job! For fun..... If you'll convert it to Grayscale like duwayne mentioned (Image > Mode > Grayscale) then you can go back to Image > Mode > Duotone (now you can have SO much fun with all the color variations...... Duotone is only activated once you convert to Grayscale)....... you may already know about this but thought I'd mention it just in case..... it's just another of many ways to change the hue of Grayscale or B & W photos...

What you've done looks good ..... I'd throw this in too...... you might try adding a little noise to the areas of the photo that have become too smooth or slick looking from blurring, Neat Image or whatever.......if you'll copy and paste those slick areas they'll be on their own layer and you can add noise Filter > Noise > Add noise......... and then use a very slight Gaussian Blur to make them blend in with the surrounding noisy areas...... that way, you can better hide the retouching.......

All in all, I'd say you've done a great job but the little finishing touches would make it perfect!

Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2006, 04:36 PM

I LOVE discovering the Duotone!!! No, I've never worked with or even known about the Duotone adjustments. This is a duotone adjustment to both of the pictures. I think his facial features were washed out on one side and the duotone adjustment brought them out a little better.

I'm still working on the noise problem. Right now, I think one of the worst areas in the picture is his left side jacket. But it's come a long way from what it looked like when I started. THANK YOU!

Sylvia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WilyGranDadGraR_filtD.jpg (37.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg WilyGranDadR2_filtD.jpg (33.0 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration