RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Stain

Old 11-25-2006, 11:00 PM

Re: Stain

humm ..Craig..I merged layers and it still prints black and white. Now what?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2006, 11:24 PM

neb,

you merged and the merged image has color ok?

if your merged image has color are you printing in ps with the image open or closed? and has this happened before or is it something new?

also, when your print window opens up, make sure the little box that says 'monochrome' isnt checked.

and if all that doesnt handle it, see if your printer has a color/black & white switch of some sort.

normally, when i print, i have already saved the image and open it up in psp. i go file\print and hit that and i get a new window with all the printer settings and tabs to other settings. i dont know how yours is, but have a look through all of it. in mine, on the opening window, there are 3 tabs. the middle tab is 'options' and there are three radio buttons. one is 'color'. one is 'greyscale' and the last is 'cmyk separations' (this one is usually for printing at a professional printer). make sure your button is set on 'color'.

you also mentioned something about a quick mask. make sure this isnt showing in your merged image. though, if it were there, you probably wouldnt even be able to print in black and white.

other than that, i'm not sure.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2006, 07:11 PM

Craig: I decided to try this in psp9. I did the selections around the image I do not want to color , then did an invert thinking I could then color the inverted area. Well no luck. It is greyscale and so I can not get color to comeup to color. Can you help me do a coloring using psp please?? Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2006, 09:23 PM

neb, i'm a little unsure what it is you were trying to do, but if the original is grayscale you'll need to convert it to rgb first. both ps and psp can do this easily. it will still be black and white, but you can then do your colorizing and then printing.

as for what i use to colorize, i use vikki's recommendation of the worth 1000 web site tutorial, or variations of it (i tend to add in a 4th green layer for some things). you can also paint with a brush or airbrush on a blank layer over your other layers and set the blank to color blend mode. you set the blend mode because if you just brushed on 'paint' it would pile up and ruin the texture and detail. but if you use the color blend mode it will simply allow your 'paint' to alter the current pixels and leave the detail.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2006, 08:08 AM

So where is the convert to rgb function in both programs craig? Thanks again Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2006, 08:59 AM

neb,

go to 'image\increase color depth\RGB 8 bits per channel' in psp.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2006, 02:14 PM

Greyed out..so must already be back to the rgb ??? OH my..
Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2006, 02:20 PM

ok, ummm, post a few images or parts of, and let's see what you've got so far. always hard to do this when i cant look over your shoulder. screenshots might be better so that we can see your graphic editor interface and things like layers and so on. cause i'm obviously missing something here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2006, 04:09 PM

Here you go craig. I hope this helps. I am so confused with all I have done and tried if you can not see what is going on I will just try again. I did merge all of these layers this was before that. Neb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss4craig.jpg (76.6 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2006, 10:15 PM

neb,

i dont see anything unusual. the background doesnt have much color and it may be that the printer isnt seeing the color very well because of this. try airbrushing on some color on a blank layer without it being in the color blend mode and see if the printer sees it ok. merge the layers and save before trying the print. make the airbrushing fairly strong so there's no mistakes to the printer. that will tell you if the printer is ok or not.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration