RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

HELP!!! Massive silvering problem on client photo.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:40 PM

Re: HELP!!! Massive silvering problem on client photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Here is an example of the differance between using a scanner and using a camera with double polorized light. There has been no PS work done to either image other than resizing.

I am also not sure how the double polorized light works either...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2006, 05:23 PM

Casting light on the mystery Could not resist.....

To do double polarized light one has to have a SLR type camera equipped with a polarizing filter over the lens.

Then over your light source you need another polarizing filter, which of course must be very big to cover it, they are available in sheet form from theatre supply stores. If you use two light sources (recommended) then the filters over them have to be in the same plane.

When looking through the camera, turn the camera's filter and watch the reflection come and go, stop turning when it disappears and take the photo!

The very simple explanation is that the polarized light source will produce reflections in one plane and the filter over the lens will block all light in that plane.

Hope that clears that up............
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2006, 06:38 PM

Just another version..... I know..... the noise..... but it looked better than too slick....

Beth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Family.jpg (98.0 KB, 496 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2006, 10:03 PM

mike,

thank you. that's fascinating. i'd forgotten that polarizing lenses/filters rotated. makes perfect sense now. very clever!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2006, 10:11 PM

beth,

very nice. what did you use?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2006, 01:15 AM

Thanks, Craig....... these were my steps:

1. Channel Mixer with Mono checked

2. Flattened

3. Using the rectangle lasso thing selected an area of the photo with good contrast

4. Clicked the Add Adj. layer icon at the bottom of layers palette > Levels

5. In Levels dialog box, clicked 'Options' selected Enhanced Mono thing & Snap Neutral... clicked Ok, Ok... to get out

6. Using a hard, white brush 100% opacity, I painted over the whole thing which got rid of most silvering (I don't know a thing about steps 3 - 6 and just do them like a trained Rhesus monkey.... something I read somewhere)

7. Flattened and got to work adding noise to flat areas, then Neat Image to gently remove noise

8. Kept adding noise and using Neat Image alternately to even out everything

9. Added a Soft Light layer w/50% Gray

10. Using the Dodge tool set to Midtones at 20% opacity went over those dark spots..... then used the Burn tool > Midtones > 10-20% opacity to darken too light areas....

11. Flattened everything, Duplicated layer set to Soft Light

12. To sharpen, went to Filter > Other > High Pass .... you can watch it sharpening as you adj. the slider (Vikki Hansen trick)

13. Flattened and used 'Platinum' in a Photoshop Black & White Toning action (I'll have to try and find who wrote it)

This was so tough it made you 'feel like doing something the Devil wouldn't do'

oxox
Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2006, 02:44 AM

Last one and, it's so late/early (2:31am) I truly don't have much of a clue as to what I did.... you know, you start messing around with it and it 'looks better so you don't want to lose your momentum writing down steps' kinda thing....

I know I didn't use any de-noise.... un-noise..... or anti-noise filter and I didn't add noise..... did use dodge and burn but my favorite thing (and something I used on my earlier version) was another Vikki Hansen trick.... you guys may already know about it but it's new to me.....

For the lady seated, first from OUR left, whose top had the blown highlights I:

Loosely selected the top > copied > pasted to a new file

Opened the Channels and selected the Red channel

Image > Adjs. > Equalize (did this to each channel in turn) - clicked on RGB in channels palette before next step

Copied and pasted the top over the blown out top (you can set that layer's blend mode to screen but I think I just used a Levels adj. so as to not fade the darks too much)

Erased lightened fringe and flattened.

Chose a Duotone gray and mauve color... I think

That's it for me....... now I'm tired AND hungry......

Beth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Final.jpg (98.5 KB, 260 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2006, 07:48 AM

etrnluv,

Using your retouched version (which is very good by the way), I used the Image->Adjustments->Shadow/Highlight which gives you a bit more control over the midranges in the photo (using photoshop CS2). I initially wound up the midtones but then I pulled back the midtones a bit as the jacket on the left was looking very blurry and smudgy.

Backread and saw your second image, same applies and second pic here is same adjustment though a tad varied in settings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JerryFarlin2 copy.jpg (91.6 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg JerryFarlin3 copy.jpg (69.6 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by Cassidy; 12-02-2006 at 07:56 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2006, 09:25 AM

I didn't work much on anything but the silvering. as mentioned above you can probably get better results from the original scan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JerryForig15.jpg (97.4 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg JerryForig16.jpg (94.6 KB, 180 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2006, 09:52 AM

beth,

thank you. i hadnt thought of using the channel mixer in monochrome. that helped.

definitely a difficult image and i'm still working on it. i tried splitting the channels and remixing some of them, but havent found a good combo on that yet. also tried correcting individual channels while they were split and then re-combining, but that hasnt proved very useful either. channel mixer gave me the best results so far. levels also helped.

mike's solution would be great if you had the original and the equipment to work his magic and the tutorial using the double copy of the image would be great if you had the original to scan also (or the client could do it reliably), but being that sometimes you get these images with no access to the original, i've been trying to do a straight digital solution and so far, i'm not happy with what i've gotten.

i have managed to find an arm that was almost blacked out and i've managed to lighten some parts and clone others, but it's a slow process this way. and aside from the carpet, i'm thinking there isnt much useful in the background and may just replace it (i normally dont like to do this, as it isnt a true restore). i've also mangaged to reduce the silvering 'shine' but there's a lot of noise and a lot of lost detail in the image itself.

so, i think i'll go bang my head on a wall for now... much more satisfying and i get instant results
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration