RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

HELP!!! Massive silvering problem on client photo.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:17 PM

Re: HELP!!! Massive silvering problem on client photo.

My take on this picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wedding.jpg (99.3 KB, 213 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2006, 06:10 PM

i've also managed to reduce the silvering 'shine' but there's a lot of noise and a lot of lost detail in the image itself.

I know what you mean, Craig..... hence my first fuzzy family.... I sort of got lost as you and Mike were talking about taking a picture with polarized lights and running it through a nuclear accelerator thereby converting the cyclotron from an internal to an external beam ..... And you thought YOU needed to bang your head against a wall.....

oxox
Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2006, 06:16 PM

Cupcake..... very striking restoration! It would make a beautiful large, framed, family portrait.

Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2006, 07:18 PM

Etrnluv I only realise now that you replaced the background in your restoration. It looked so good I thought it was part of the original when I looked at it first yesterday.

Beth you did an outstanding job on evening out the light and the dark areas. I love your first picture - noise and all - I think the noise gives it some character.

Unimatrix brought out detail that no one else did and if you were to continue that would be a really good restoration too.

I don't have much to add except that fiddling with the picture to try and find that ever elusive 'quick fix' I noticed that if I copied the background layer, equalised the copy and set the blend mode to Color it brought out detail (particularly in the background) that no other method did. I have no idea how this worked but it did, and, even though the result was quite pixelated, it was a good starting point.

And having said all of that, it seems, as others have suggested, that the best method of all would be to take another picture of the photograph using polarizing lights. The difference in Mike's example is quite remarkable.

Sincerely Syd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Silvering.jpg (95.6 KB, 144 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2006, 11:13 PM

lol, beth. you tickle me a polarization filter is something you put on the end of a camera lens and it filters out glare and evens out light a bit. it's the same thing they use in the 'Transition' sunglasses, the ones that change from light to dark and back depending on the amount of light present. they have a direction to them so that when you turn them one way they filter light one way and when you turn them another way, they change the filtering again. thus, mike's double filtering is filtering from two ways blocking out the reflection from the silvering. quite simple, really... unless it's tuesday of the 2nd month of the year in a non-leap year year and you're not wearing blue

ok, somethng decent (mind you, not great) that i'm willing to post. this is based on splitting the image to cmyk and then re-combining it with the c, m, y and a 2nd c instead of the black. the black was really bad. i did this 3 times, each time replacing the black channel with the cyan channel.

after that, i sort of got lost. there was a clarify, some masking, some airbrushing, a bit of cloning and probably some other stuff, but the basis was the cmyk split/replace/combine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cmyk-split-fix-1-k-1b.jpg (93.4 KB, 150 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 12:58 AM

Craig and Syd...... those are beautiful restorations!!!

Craig - thanks for 'splainin that to me ....you did a very good job because I actually understand it now and, seeing it in Mike's photo, really makes a believer out of me.....

Another fun one!

Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 09:53 AM

thanks, beth.

but dont put too much stock in my explanation. i always get polarization and ultra violet filtering mixed up. in fact, the 'Transition' lenses may actually be uv. so, that part may be wrong. but i do recall that the polarization filters turn, so i think that part is right Mike could probably explain it better. i think it's somewhat like blocking a certain band of light. we say in here, shadows/midtones/highlights, so it might be that the polarizing filter blocks the highlights when turned one way, or partially so, while turned another it would block another part of that band. so, if you align two filters blocking one part of one band and the other filter blocking the other part, you'd effectively block the band as a whole.... something like that. and it's probably not truly blocking that light; it's probably just redirecting it away from the eye when you turn the filter a certain direction, or in the case of a camera, turning it away from the camera.

so, now that i've shown my true ignorance on the subject, i'll shut up and let Mike tell you how it really works
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 06:53 PM

Sorry Craig, polarization has nothing to do with color or "bands" of light The key is that light travels in waves, the wave oscillate in an infinite number of planes, the polarizing filter being made up of parallel bands of opaque and clear areas, lets only the light in the appropriate plane through it. The appropriate plane of course being determined by the orientation (turning) of the filter.

I did a little research into the Double Polarized light technique and could not find a site with a really good simple explanation of what I am referring to. However I did find that my "Bible" is still available here and there. So if you would really like to look into copying old photos, I would strongly recommend that you try to get a copy of "Copying and Duplicating in Black-and-White and Color". It was printed by Kodak and its "Kodak Publication M-1", Cat #152-7969.

The one I have was published in 1985 and so it is based on film cameras. However for most practical purposes one can just substitute a digital camera for the film one, the lighting techniques remain the same.

They devote several pages to using the technique and provide drawings to show you what the theory is etc. They cover all kinds of originals (Daguerreotypes, old and faded photos, paintings, etc) and have all kinds of directions on set up, lighting and on and on. Haven't really looked at that book in several years, and am reminded again of all the advantages of going digital!!!!

As for the cost, I found some on Amazon for $0.87, EBAY for $3.00, and from other folks for up to $33.00. I think that the book is long out of print so if you decide to try and get one I would do it quickly!

I did take a very quick look to see if there where any of the photographic training web sites that might apply but could not find anything. I will try to maybe do some drawing or scanning to see if I can come up with some simple explanations if there is any interest in this. I am one of those who teach by drawing on the blackboard! Guess that dates me pretty well
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 11:58 PM

thanks mike.

well, i knew it blocked something
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2008, 02:20 PM

Re: HELP!!! Massive silvering problem on client ph

Thanks for the info. When I get my computer repaired I'm going to try these techniques
on some of my oldies.
Good job explaining and the web shots really helped me understand better
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration