RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

HELP!!! Massive silvering problem on client photo.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:35 PM

HELP!!! Massive silvering problem on client photo.

I have tried the tutorial for silvering and could not tell the difference. Any ideas?? I uploaded what I have done but not totally thrilled with it. On the original photo you can sort of see the background with curtains on both sides and a sky scene in the middle. I found some comparable pictures for the background and carpet...just not sure about the contrast. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks

Original scan

My restoration so far
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JerryForig1.jpg (79.2 KB, 1041 views)
File Type: jpg JerryFarlin2.jpg (81.0 KB, 953 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2006, 10:14 PM

Re: HELP!!! Massive silvering problem on client photo.

First, if the original was my picture I would personally be thrilled to get your restoration. I don't know if your final copy was supposed to have a yellow cast on the white dresses. I used a Hue/Sat and selected yellow and reduced the saturation on the yellow and it took it out.

dc
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2006, 10:25 PM

I think it is way too contrasty and you have lost quite a bit of detail in both the shadows and highlights.

I assume that you have scanned and tried to fix this in PS, that is not the best way to fix this type of problem at all. Try to get a copy made under double polorised light.

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2006, 01:07 AM

etrnluv, I agree that you've done a good job with the original (you have found detail not visible due to the silvering). To do the best job possible, it's always best to start with the best original possible, as Mike stresses.

There are past threads that discuss similar problems and one of our members, roger_ele, explains a bit about the copying strategy here in one of the threads --

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/103078-post8.html

"....The pro way to do this is with a copy stand and polarized lights and a polarizing filter on the camera. The easiest way to do this at home is to set a few books on a table and prop the photo in front of it. Set the camera down on the table (on a book if you need it higher), focus and slowly click the camera - the table will act as your tipod and keep the camera steady. Try different lighting, best bet is room lights off with window light coming from the side - window far enough away for the light to be even - no light source behind the camera at all so that you don't get reflections off the silvering."
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2006, 09:11 AM

Thank you DCobb for the compliment...I agree the dresses were too yellow. I am going to try and get a photo of the photo and see if that works...good thing I am also a photographer huh? :o) I will let you all know how that turns out. I know that the left side on the original photo has lost most detail in the bottom part of his legs...but it still may allow for more detail in some of the other parts. Thank you all for your help!
Angie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2006, 01:13 PM

i studied both your before and after and i'd say you did a very nice job of removing the silvering. the biggest problem i have is that you also seem to have darkened the original, which was already too dark and/or underexposed. and that may be the problem with the 'loss of detail'.

part of the image has already lost detail before doing anything to it. the silvering and the dark image itself seems to have wiped some detail out. so, i'm not sure you're going to get all the detail back regardless of handling this photographically or digitally in photoshop.

what i would suggest is brightening the image up a bit, your after image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2006, 01:46 PM

How does this one look? Thanks for all the help...I had to add "pants" from another pic to the guys on the ends. I lightened the contrast, and got rid of the yellow in the dresses. I am thinking that may be as good as it gets.
Thanks
Angie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JerryFarlin3.jpg (95.7 KB, 463 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2006, 02:20 PM

Here is an example of the differance between using a scanner and using a camera with double polorized light. There has been no PS work done to either image other than resizing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camera.JPG (36.2 KB, 571 views)
File Type: jpg scanned.jpg (31.2 KB, 551 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2006, 04:33 PM

mike,

that's excellent. exactly what do you do to get 'double polarized light'? i know what a polarizing filter is, but what's the doubling?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2006, 04:35 PM

I am not getting enough for this to go through that much work and time. :o) Thank you though...I will remember that for next time...and I will try to ask for more money! LOL
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration