RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Blown out image problem

Old 12-08-2006, 06:49 PM

Blown out image problem

This image still needs work so take that into account. My problem is the dress. As you can see, the pattern has all but been eliminated in the areas that aren't shaded. I would like to know how you guys would go about getting the pattern back out. I got a little bit of it back out but not much. I don't want to burn it cause the lighter areas in the pattern should remain white. Using a curve would be wrong to I think. Everything is too close. Any help would be cool. If I'm trying for something that just isn't possible then you can let me know that too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mary4_Original_4RP.jpg (98.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Mary4_v1_4RP.jpg (98.7 KB, 93 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2006, 07:34 PM

Re: Blown out image problem

It may be because it's a lower-res jpg that you posted, but test-pumping the curves to extreme black shows very little information in the dress's lighter areas. The version you already did is as good as I could get it.

Again, maybe there's more plaid in the hi-res version...?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2006, 08:26 PM

That's about it as far as the pattern goes. There is stuff there though and therefore I have a feeling it can be popped out. I think I've seen some on here do quite well with images as bad or worse than this. I could be wrong though. As I said, this could be it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2006, 11:44 PM

i could only bring out the pattern well enough to somewhat tell where it is, but not enough to really restore it with conventional restoration techniques.

so, that leaves reconstruction, if you want to go that way. things like airbrushing or paintbrushing in or cloning would work, but would take a fair amount of meticulous effort.

so, there's a line you draw sometimes. is it worth the time or money or both to get this better? so, that's your next step, answering that question.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2006, 03:40 PM

Kraellin,

I was thinking about using adobe illustrator to create that pattern and then using the enveloping feature to get it to warp with the contours of the dress. Of course, that is kind of the idea you were giving me here. Since I'm doing this for free, I think I've already made up my mind. LOL

I may try it just to try it though. It would be killer if I could get it to work but as you said, it would take a ton of effort.

At least I'm coming up with the right conclusions with this stuff. It means I'm getting better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2006, 01:21 AM

imann,

yup, seeing what's possible.... and what's not is definitely part of the solution

as for the technique you're suggesting, i know little to nothing about illustrator, so yer on yer own there

i did make a casual effort at restoring some of the pattern in psp xi. very casual; just enough to decide i didnt want to try any more unless i was being paid but i can say this, you're going to have to speculate on some of it. the existing pattern is so faded in places as to not be there at all.

yes, you could make a pattern and try pasting some of it in, but you're going to run into a problem there with the folds and wrinkles of the dress. the pattern has to follow those. so, you wont be able to just make a nice checkerboard pattern and paste it on the dress. it will look too fake. you might be able to make your pattern and then 'stress' it, though. that might work. and by stressing it, i mean alter, fade, wrinkle, stretch, compress and so on to simulate the dress geography. that might work. and then maybe some blend modes with your pattern over the original.... maybe

but i'm going to leave this one to you, for the most part. but i'd love to see your progress as you go and i'll be happy to kibitz with you on it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2006, 11:29 PM

Ok, here is an attempt at getting the pattern back into the dress. The envelope distort option in AI is very useful for just this kind of thing. It is just up to you to add any shading and get the pattern down right so that it goes into the picture well.

I don't know if I accomplished it here and am sure it is possible to get a more realistic look with a little more talent in this area without much trouble. It's actually less difficult than I thought it would be although it would take a little time to get the right look depending on how good you are at it to begin with.

Anyways, here it is. I hope everyone says something about it. Let me know if you think it flies or not based on the partially retouched imaged I have in my first post. I think it looks much better as it enables me to get all the dirt and crap out of the dress and keep the pattern. The bottom line though is whether the pattern flies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mary4_v1Resized2Send.jpg (97.7 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2006, 04:41 PM

imann,

i think you're on the right track. the question now is, how far do you want to go?

also, what is 'ai'?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
imann,

i think you're on the right track. the question now is, how far do you want to go?

also, what is 'ai'?
AI is Adobe Illustrator. What are you, new? lol

Telling me I'm on the right track but if you could be a little more in depth about it I'd appreciate it. Does it fly at all right now or not? What is wrong with it in your mind? Does it look too artificial? That's my major concern with it. I wish more would step up and give an opinion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2006, 08:41 PM

I agree with Craig. Keep at it.

The top looked natural. Scrunch up/distort the pattern where there are folds and creases, like the ones on the sleeves and skirt.

The girl's legs are bent in L shape. From the waist to knee, set your pattern diagonally from right to left. Then from the knee to hemline set diagonally from left to right.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration