RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

how to post an image & extending a subject that got cut off

Old 12-16-2006, 09:24 PM

how to post an image & extending a subject that got cut off

Hi,
I haven't been here in awhile and this may seem a stupid question. What are the rules for uploading an image in a post? I'm sure there are size constraints. I'm assuming jpeg is the preferred format or maybe even gif. I'm also sure the instructions are here somewhere, but I couldn't find anything. Maybe someone could help me without my even uploading my photo. Here's the problem: I've got a snapshot where a portion of two subjects on each end of the photo are cut off a bit. I'm trying to fabricate what's not there. I've gotten as far as using the magnetic lasso to trace the subject and then copy it to a new layer, then I flipped the selection and free transformed it to fit up against the edge of the subject. It actually looks a lot better than I suspected, but I'm not sure what nuances to use to get a seamless look. Any help would be most appreciated, and as soon as I figure out how to get the pic uploaded, I will add it. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2006, 01:06 AM

Re: how to post an image & extending a subject that got cut off

Hi RamonaMarie,

you can find help for attaching images to your posts/Threads following these links:

Resize Images for RP
Attach Files/Images ...
Starting New Threads

Valid file extensions: .bmp , .doc , .gif , .jpe , .jpeg , .jpg , .pdf , .png , .psd , .txt , .zip

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamonaMarie
I've gotten as far as using the magnetic lasso to trace the subject and then copy it to a new layer, then I flipped the selection and free transformed it to fit up against the edge of the subject.
Whenever possible, the best way to fill in missing parts of a subject would be to borrow 'the parts' from a 'good' picture of the same subject but, if this isn't an option, I would do exactly what you did...
Just be very careful when working on portrait pictures...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2006, 07:53 AM

Thanks Flora. Now here's my photo. Don't anyone laugh. The addition was done quickly just to see what was possible. My main concerns are what tools to use to get the obvious "seam" out, especially along the face. I don't want her to look too creepy or manufactured. Thanks in advance.

Ramona
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sistersedited.jpg (19.8 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2006, 11:25 AM

Ramona,

Don't worry, people don't laugh at our efforts here. If you have the flipped selection above the original copy of the photo, you can add a layer mask and use your brush along the seam to blend it into the photo below -- you can move the selection if needed to fit. The hand will need more work, of course. As Flora already stated, it would be best if you had other photos of the same people to work from -- it's worth asking to see if they have others that you can use to take parts from. If not, you could use the middle girl's arm to copy and bend to fit on the girl on the left, and then work on the color difference with a Selective Color adjustment layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2006, 07:49 AM

Hi Ramona,

Good start.

Check her eyes, be sure it's not looking at different directions.

Personally, I would go a little further to avoid the mirrored effect, at least on her body. I'd use the Liquify tool, on one side of the body to distort the shirt or move the shoulder, arm, hand, etc.

If not, her pose could still work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2006, 12:08 PM

Thanks all for the great suggestions. I'm off to work on this now. Happy Holidays in case I don't get back before then -- final week count down, you know. So many things to do, so little time. What would Christmas be without procrastination??
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2006, 02:18 PM

Hi,

you are welcome, RamonaMarie!

What CJ said ... nobody is going to laugh at any effort here ...

Like Soleah, I'd also go a bit further to avoid the mirrored effect and to blend in the 'seams' which are very obvious in your version ... (Attachment 1)

Like you, I copied-pasted-flipped, but instead of doing it all in one go, I separated the parts I needed as you can see in the snapshot of my workflow ...(Attachment 2)... and after the 'pasting and flipping' I used the Transform/Warp Tool to better adapt them to the rest of the image.

I used Layer Masks and Heal Brush to smoothly blend the new parts with the rest of the image.

My result (Attachment 3)

I didn't do anything to smooth out the jpg artefacts because I'm sure you will be working on a higher resolution image...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-0001.jpg (44.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0002.jpg (92.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg F_sistersedited.jpg (91.5 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2006, 02:44 PM

That is so Kool Flora, I am impressed with the remarkable work that is done on this web site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2006, 10:38 AM

Thanks for your kindness JimJam!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJam
I am impressed with the remarkable work that is done on this web site.
... Just stick around!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration